Author Topic: computer help  (Read 12805 times)

Moogs21

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
computer help
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 09:36:00 pm »
Ewwwww Macs...
The music department has exclusively macs at my college... Mainly because they only make some software we need for macs (or that's what they tell us.)
I freaking hate them.

It's the same deal with ipods. I'm against ipods because you are paying for the namebrand... I bought a creative mp3 player two years and and it still works. Ipods.... not (usually) so much. I am just against buying the name brand. It's the same with Nike (although they also have child labor problems so that's another reason).

Morgan

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - deeperthansurface@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
computer help
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 04:07:46 pm »
I would really love to get a mac for the program some of the laptops come with: GarageBand. It would be so helpful to my musical genius that has no outlet in that form. It would be so awesome. :P
That's what she said.

nickjonasfan

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
computer help
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 04:06:34 pm »
i went with a macbook pro :D

nickjonasfan

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
computer help
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 04:06:52 pm »
i went with a macbook pro :D

superscientific

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • Bang Bang?
    • MSN Messenger - superscientific@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - superscientific
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - superscientific
    • View Profile
computer help
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 08:50:52 pm »
Haha I think this thread is hilarious.  People have been arguing for years about what platform is better and there really is no answer.  It is all preference!  I have been using the mac platform for about 10 years and I love the OS.  I still have the first 17" powerbook bought over 5 years ago and going strong.  Even back then they included wireless G, backlit keyboard, firewire 400, and aluminum enclosure.  It's almost like arguing what car is better.  Since the move to intel I think macs have done pretty well in keeping up with technology.  I also think running windows on a mac is cool too with VMware or Bootcamp (even though I think you can do the same with PCs).  PCs will always be cheaper and like Andrew and Pete said there is more competition for the PC world so things will come out first.  Andrew, did you build a Intel "Harpertown" Quad Core last July?  Damn that is a smokin system! How much did that cost when you built that tower?  (I am interested in building a PC for gaming which the mac platform will never be good for due to lack of market share).....I personally just like the simplicity of the OS and its ease of use and I love how Logic and Garageband run.  You can do everything you can do on a PC on Mac and vice versa.  I have always looked at Mac Computing as a luxury car verses a regular car.  They all get you to the place you want to go, one is just prettier and the engineering is tweaked.  If you can afford it why not?

As for the iPod, I love my iPhone for music and videos.  They have simplified mobile email and web browsing (besides no flash support and lack of 3G I know..I know...)  I prefer it over the blackberry. I think they also do pretty well for pricing.  I think the iPod touch is priced pretty well.  Just personal opinion though......I think Apple is a great company and they make durable and user friendly products that are beautiful to look at at the same time.

Danny

"you fake like a smile...like a hug I'm tight" - Common "Hungry"
Check out Missy Higgins Music Now!
Myspace!

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
computer help
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 02:10:49 pm »
Quote from: "superscientific"
Haha I think this thread is hilarious.  People have been arguing for years about what platform is better and there really is no answer.  It is all preference!  I have been using the mac platform for about 10 years and I love the OS.  I still have the first 17" powerbook bought over 5 years ago and going strong.  Even back then they included wireless G, backlit keyboard, firewire 400, and aluminum enclosure.  It's almost like arguing what car is better.  Since the move to intel I think macs have done pretty well in keeping up with technology.  I also think running windows on a mac is cool too with VMware or Bootcamp (even though I think you can do the same with PCs).  PCs will always be cheaper and like Andrew and Pete said there is more competition for the PC world so things will come out first.  Andrew, did you build a Intel "Harpertown" Quad Core last July?  Damn that is a smokin system! How much did that cost when you built that tower?  (I am interested in building a PC for gaming which the mac platform will never be good for due to lack of market share).....I personally just like the simplicity of the OS and its ease of use and I love how Logic and Garageband run.  You can do everything you can do on a PC on Mac and vice versa.  I have always looked at Mac Computing as a luxury car verses a regular car.  They all get you to the place you want to go, one is just prettier and the engineering is tweaked.  If you can afford it why not?

As for the iPod, I love my iPhone for music and videos.  They have simplified mobile email and web browsing (besides no flash support and lack of 3G I know..I know...)  I prefer it over the blackberry. I think they also do pretty well for pricing.  I think the iPod touch is priced pretty well.  Just personal opinion though......I think Apple is a great company and they make durable and user friendly products that are beautiful to look at at the same time.

Danny

Your mac is only beautiful because you have my little pony stickers all over it.
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
computer help
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 03:29:46 pm »
Haha I think this thread is hilarious.  People have been arguing for years about what platform is better and there really is no answer.  It is all preference!

Yes.  And PRICE.  That's always the key point... it's all preference in terms of interface and functionality... but the mac costs more.

Quote from: "Danny"
Andrew, did you build a Intel "Harpertown" Quad Core last July?  Damn that is a smokin system! How much did that cost when you built that tower?  (I am interested in building a PC for gaming which the mac platform will never be good for due to lack of market share)

Nah.  I got the first generation of the new stepping dual cores in July.  The 2.33 with 1333 FSB.  It hauls ass.

It cost me about 650 after rebates, but that was without a monitor.

Quote from: "Danny"
I have always looked at Mac Computing as a luxury car verses a regular car.  They all get you to the place you want to go, one is just prettier and the engineering is tweaked.  If you can afford it why not?

A luxury car adds features.  A mac does not add features over a PC.  It's just prettier.

So you say "why not?"  I say "why?"  Why pay more when you're not getting any new functionality?
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

superscientific

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • Bang Bang?
    • View Profile
computer help
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 07:09:23 pm »
Pete I am just saying that a aluminum enclosure on a tower is better looking than plastic.  The design of the enclosures are nice even with stickers on it :)
Well Andrew I guess this is a losing battle, but still functionality is still an arguable point.  A toyota Camry fully loaded has all the features of a Lexus ES350.  But it costs 60K more.  They both have the same V6 block, same Navigation system, same push button start.  The lexus just has some engineering features to make it look different.  I personally love Mac OS X and love the way it works.  I think when OS X was released 5 + years ago it was a huge deal because it was open source and it was UNIX based.  My Dad is a programmer and he actually uses both but prefers Xcode on OS X because it compiles on the fly as you write code.  I understand about price and for price of course PC's win hands down.  Some people also think of the stability of the OS, that is why Macs really have a big chunk of the Audio industry.  Audio runs too on PC but people tend to have far more problems.
That is the reason why I ended up on Macs because every producer I have met that has experience started on PC first then ended up on MAC after audio issues.  Hey we all have different needs from our computing and I still argue that it is a preference.  Some people think it would be crazy to pay crazy money for a Bugatti when you can make the Supra the same speed with much less money.  

Oh well I see your point though guys just putting in my two cents.

Danny

Myspace!

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
computer help
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 08:27:59 am »
Pete I am just saying that a aluminum enclosure on a tower is better looking than plastic.  The design of the enclosures are nice even with stickers on it :)
Well Andrew I guess this is a losing battle, but still functionality is still an arguable point.  A toyota Camry fully loaded has all the features of a Lexus ES350.  But it costs 60K more.  They both have the same V6 block, same Navigation system, same push button start.  The lexus just has some engineering features to make it look different.  I personally love Mac OS X and love the way it works.  I think when OS X was released 5 + years ago it was a huge deal because it was open source and it was UNIX based.  My Dad is a programmer and he actually uses both but prefers Xcode on OS X because it compiles on the fly as you write code.  I understand about price and for price of course PC's win hands down.  Some people also think of the stability of the OS, that is why Macs really have a big chunk of the Audio industry.  Audio runs too on PC but people tend to have far more problems.
That is the reason why I ended up on Macs because every producer I have met that has experience started on PC first then ended up on MAC after audio issues.  Hey we all have different needs from our computing and I still argue that it is a preference.  Some people think it would be crazy to pay crazy money for a Bugatti when you can make the Supra the same speed with much less money.  

Oh well I see your point though guys just putting in my two cents.

Danny

Vista and XP show as being everybit as reliable and failure proof as OSX.  Only anecdotal data shows otherwise, and that's tainted by marketing and perception.

If you have audio problems, it's due to the software or hardware you use... not the platform it runs on.

The movie and music industry using macs is a classic example of good marketing on the part of Apple.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

superscientific

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • Bang Bang?
    • View Profile
computer help
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 03:10:25 pm »
Well I know XP is pretty reliable now on audio but I know Vista is not.  Audio drivers are not working well in Vista and most people around me are switching back to XP for stability.  I have used both and I really prefer the interface of OSX and its user friendly setup.  Core Audio works well in OSX.  I also think Vista looks nice but doesn't look like it had a good first year being out.  I rarely reboot my macs but with vista you can't put the system to sleep and have it wake up properly.  I know all users face different issues but I couldn't stand how buggy Vista was.  I installed XP again on my iMac last week and it works better for me when I need PC programs.  Once again all preference but I think it is really about what operating system you like best for your needs.  Since the internal parts are now the same that is the only difference. Ahh the computing world......this will never end lol.  I do have to agree with you though it is frustrating WAITING on the updates to their pro line.  Penryn based Mobile chips have been shipping for PC laptops since January and Apple has still yet to release them on the Macbook Pro.  They are lucky they got the 8 core 3.2ghz Towers in January.  That took me by surprise.  I am sure there are PC machines that can out do that any day though.....sad.

Myspace!

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
computer help
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 12:48:31 pm »
Well I know XP is pretty reliable now on audio but I know Vista is not.  Audio drivers are not working well in Vista and most people around me are switching back to XP for stability.  I have used both and I really prefer the interface of OSX and its user friendly setup.  Core Audio works well in OSX.  I also think Vista looks nice but doesn't look like it had a good first year being out.  I rarely reboot my macs but with vista you can't put the system to sleep and have it wake up properly.  I know all users face different issues but I couldn't stand how buggy Vista was.  I installed XP again on my iMac last week and it works better for me when I need PC programs.  Once again all preference but I think it is really about what operating system you like best for your needs.  Since the internal parts are now the same that is the only difference. Ahh the computing world......this will never end lol.  I do have to agree with you though it is frustrating WAITING on the updates to their pro line.  Penryn based Mobile chips have been shipping for PC laptops since January and Apple has still yet to release them on the Macbook Pro.  They are lucky they got the 8 core 3.2ghz Towers in January.  That took me by surprise.  I am sure there are PC machines that can out do that any day though.....sad.

There have been PC's that run dual quad cores for, oh, 6 months now.  And they are about a grand cheaper than the mac pro.

---Andrew

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
computer help
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2008, 04:47:37 am »
I have a Belkin wireless router whichh I tried to install last week, but it
seems to require a dedicated rather than shared connection to the web.

The instructions suggest I should be able to just connect my ADSL modem
via the WAN port, and connect my PC via the 1st LAN port. The printer is
then connected to the USB print server port and presto! Unfortunately all
I got was DNS errors when I tried to go online with this setup last week

The Belkin WR is a DI-524UP, my Netgear ADSL2+ modem is a DM111P  ;-)

Peace

Aaron

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
computer help
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2008, 08:02:45 am »
Me and my friend went to the apple store yesterday, i LOVE the small white macbook.

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
computer help
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2008, 05:08:08 am »
The Apple  Vs PC debate is dead in the water peeps; Speak up now or for-
ever hold your peace Mac users here, who are ever going to have to deal
with the likes of Zlob Win32 Trojan 1.0.0.25 (yes they've perfected it)

Peace

Aaron

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
computer help
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2008, 05:44:41 am »
http://learninc.paretologic.revenuewire.net/xoftspyse/download

^ This is the url at which Pareto Logic has made a copy of its Z........ rem-
oval software available. 6 days after I attempted to re-register Xoft...SE