Yes
1 (4.2%)
No
21 (87.5%)
I don't care.
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: December 28, 2007, 05:36:54 pm

Author Topic: War in Iraq  (Read 7296 times)

C'est la vie

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - scruff03@hotmail.co.uk
    • AOL Instant Messenger - windsurfer184905
    • View Profile
War in Iraq
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 03:38:05 pm »
Quote from: "garry_coombs"

I would like to ask why you want the Iraqi people to not have a democracy? And the reason because they havent asked for it wont work as they would be dead if they had asked for it.

I don't not want Iraqi people have a democracy. Heck, they actually have one now. But due to useless planning and rubbish excuses for entering the country, there is anarchy and many deaths have occured as a consiquence. I believe that ridding the country of the dictation of Sadam Husain (spelling) was a postive thing, but it should have been done with as little civilian interaction as possible. Instead, both countries invade and storm the country, thus a pointless war in the stead of something that could have been much less time consuming.
-----------Signature under construction-----------

heyheyitsaiste

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
War in Iraq
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 04:44:52 pm »
Quote from: "garry_coombs"
Long term I would say over the next 5 years, people in Iraq dont understand the benefits that can come from it.

Yes Iraqi's are dieing but that is because they are being used as shields to repell the forces.

I will just say that people in Britain and America are better for the wars faught, people have risen up for civil wars and we have gained from it, we would probably still have poverty on a large scale in this country if it wasnt for war.

Things needed to change in the middle east to allow for the world to be more at peace and for everyone to live in a free and demorcratic society, unfortunatly the only way to achieve this is war, we cant just sit here and watch as a government leaves its people to die.

I would like to ask why you want the Iraqi people to not have a democracy? And the reason because they havent asked for it wont work as they would be dead if they had asked for it.

I love my freedom to choose and everyone should have that right.

And I dont listen to propaganda, if I were to listen to the press then surely I'd be on your side.

Ok, uhm first of all, because we have invaded the country don't you think it's our responsibility to provide food, shelter, medicine, etc. for the damage that we have caused? ..but we aren't. We can't go in there, shoot a bunch of people and expect them to pick up the pieces.

War is never the answer. Violence only breeds more violence. You obviously don't understand that. You do realize that slavery was already on its way out even before the civil war? The civil war in America was used by the the North to gain control over the south, not to get rid of slavery. How can you say the civil war was necessary when every other country didn't have to go through civil war to get rid of slavery in their country?

I never said I didn't want the Iraqi people to have a democracy. Don't you want the majority of the African countries to have a democracy? Don't you want the majority of the Middle-Eastern countries to have a democracy? (And I mean majority because some of the countries in those regions do have a democracy) Or North Korea, or Cuba, or Bangladesh? I do, sure, but that doesn't mean I would be willing to use violence to enforce it.

And if you're gonna use "they don't know better, so it's good for them" why don't we apply it to the rest of the world?

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Steveau98
    • View Profile
War in Iraq
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 05:55:47 pm »
I was against it from the start and thought it would turn out the way it has and become another Vietnam.

heyheyitsaiste

• View Profile
War in Iraq
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 07:14:13 pm »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
Why is "don't care" an option?  That's fucking insane.  Read a little and understand how if affects you and generations to come.

hahaha.... sorry i offended you with the "I dont care" option?

Moogs21

• View Profile
War in Iraq
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 07:44:08 pm »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
Why is "don't care" an option?  That's fucking insane.  Read a little and understand how if affects you and generations to come.

Well said. I think the "I don't care" should be "undecided"... At least that's showing that thought is going through people's heads.

Anyway.... I was very against this war when it began... However, we are in the middle of it. I think we need to finish it in the near future, but we must not pull out as quickly as possible... We do NOT want Iran to get involved with our Iraq mess, or will we all be dead in 5 years.

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
War in Iraq
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 03:41:30 am »
As an Australian who's government at the time followed the time-honored
tradition of backing up the cavalry by sending special forces and logistical
support to Iraq, the war has achieved little in the way of tangiable benefit
given the cost of launching such an effort to a theatre that's so far away.

Afganistan makes more sense for Aussie diggers to be involved in (though
we've just brought the fifth of our fallen back to a mix of public support). I
can see its turning into a thorn in the side of the new Labour Government

Peace

Aaron

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
War in Iraq
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 12:04:55 pm »
I certainly don't like the way it was run.  I wasn't able to follow it because of poverty and personal issues in my life like the rest of you, but thank god for general Petraus and others who figured real solutions to some of the problems.  I don't support the war, but no matter if you do or not we need to put our heads together and find solutions to the consquences and problems arising from it no matter what our actions will be.  That is very hard right now.  If we take inspiration from those who have remedied the situation somewhat and apply it to say, the political level, maybe we can improve the outcome for our country and the world.

Like anything else you have to understand the situation fully(including the motivations of our leaders,) and outline the empircal probabilities of the actions we may take.  We could just swing it as things go forward, but as a country we have to know where we want to go with this.  Because not everyone in this country is the brightest, we need to get into the nitty gritty and make a plan or goal to aspire to so everyone can be on the same page and we can move forward.  That is what part of the discussion should be about in this election.  Even to a point where not everyone will be able to follow or lose intrest because of the details.  Because the ones who will follow deserve it, and because there are enough of us we will be able to out manuever our enemies, who are not all that smart as some of you might assume.

/end rant ;)

P.S. I know what I'm posting sounds a little behind and ignorant...but eh...I'm catching up quickly.