Author Topic: Port Jackson claims another six souls :-O  (Read 1748 times)

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
Port Jackson claims another six souls :-O
« on: May 02, 2008, 06:30:34 pm »
Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour) is without doubt one of the most beautiful
places to venture onto the water, especially at night. But with the cover of
darkness comes added navagational hazards, of which last Thursday AM's
boat collision that claimed six souls, is a very real reminder. Clearly grave
errors in decision-making and judgement were made for this to occur, and
there seem way more questions at this point than answers. Hopefully lives
lost in this manner will serve as a reminder to those like runabout skipper
Mr Reynolds, as to the safety of those tagging along for a pleasure ride :idea:

Quote from: "aap"
Alex Rumiz was a 22-year-old "kickarse bartender" with a big future, while his mate, Alex Nikakis, 29, had an "art for living life".

Bubbly bartender Stacey Wright, 21, was reportedly saving up for an overseas trip, and had been hanging out with her friend Elizabeth 'Lizzie' Holder, a 20-year-old Balmain hairdresser.

Single mother-of-two Ashlei Ayres, 32, had been enjoying a night out, while Darwin-based American citizen Jessica Savanna Holloway, 25, was passing through Sydney on her way back to the US to see her grandparents.

After a night of celebrations at Balmain's Commercial Hotel, all six came together on a Balmain wharf for an impromptu cruise on Sydney Harbour that would end their lives.

The six were named as those killed in the horrific collision between their overcrowded runabout and a fishing boat at Bradleys Head early Thursday.

Eight other passengers were rushed to hospital, although all but two have since been discharged.

Authorities are continuing to piece together the cause of the fatal crash, conducting interviews and walking through the wreckage with a shaken and scratched survivor.

Superintendent Mark Hutchings of the Marine Area Command also praised three fishermen who pulled a survivor from the water shortly after the crash at 2.40am (AEST) Thursday, and who helped other injured before emergency services arrived.

"They helped in a very substantial way in the rescue of those people and we thank them for it," Supt Hutchings said.

Internet sites were flooded with outpourings of grief and tributes to those killed.

Mr Nikakis survived the impact but died in Royal North Shore Hospital (RNSH) Thursday night.

On his Facebook site, the Balmain local was described by friend Christina Croft as "a great person" loved by all.

"I am so sad, I have known you since i was little kid ... You will be missed dearly. My (sic) you rest in peace my friend."

Krystle Cuthbertson's message said Mr Nikakis was someone who "really lived in every moment you had".

Friends of Mr Rumiz, a barman at the Clock Hotel in Surry Hills, used Facebook to describe him as "funny, accommodating, kind & caring. A kick arse bartender with a huge future ahead of u".

"I know you are in a good place now buddy, Rest in Peace. We wont forget you," another friend wrote.

The MySpace page of Ms Wright, who worked at Balmain's Unity Hall Hotel but hailed from Corrimal East, near Wollongong, included a message from Bec: "hay babe i will miss u even tho u will never get this as now your in heaven. love u today tomorrow an for ever i will see u again one day."

A blackboard outside the Commercial Hotel stated: "To our fallen friends. We love you forever. Lizzie (and) Stacey. Miss U."

American consular officials sent "deep condolences" to the family of Ms Holloway, a much-loved social worker who was dedicated and creative, according to her boss.

A spokeswoman for RNSH said 31-year-old Matthew Reynolds, who is believed to have skippered the runabout, was in a serious but stable condition in intensive care with a spinal injury.

Chloe Dickey, 18, the only female survivor, remained in a general ward at the hospital, and was improving every day, the spokeswoman said.

"She is expected to go home fairly soon," she said.

Police took blood samples from several people, including the driver, at the time of the incident, to test for alcohol and drugs, he said.

Supt Hutchings said police would fully investigate allegations the runabout, licensed to carry just eight passengers, had been stolen.

(Rest in) Peace

Aaron