Author Topic: How Do YOU Write Your Music?  (Read 8754 times)

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
How Do YOU Write Your Music?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 06:05:51 pm »
Quote from: "DeeperThanSurface"
I can do that on piano, but I wish I was as good on guitar as I was on piano, because my cousin and me are writing songs together.
She writes lyrics, I write music.

At least you own/know how to play piano!

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 11:18:28 pm »
Quote from: "VanessaCarltonMania"
my friend whos been playing the piano for over 10 years is teaching me the "chords theory" now...and then he said hell teach me the musical theory or something like that...and then hell start helping me write songs....

:D yaya!

what? what's the chords theory? I want to know! haha

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 07:08:07 pm »
I don't really have a "way" that I write... sometimes I will sit down and write a whole song, other times I just have a few lyrics or a little piano piece...

If the question was about inspiration though, apart from emotions, I am mostly inspired visually... I draw a lot of inspiration from art of the visual kind.
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

VanessaCarltonMania

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - charmed.ashley@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 07:01:56 am »
Quote from: "me and my piano---tim"
Quote from: "VanessaCarltonMania"
my friend whos been playing the piano for over 10 years is teaching me the "chords theory" now...and then he said hell teach me the musical theory or something like that...and then hell start helping me write songs....

:D yaya!

what? what's the chords theory? I want to know! haha

Well...so far hes' taught me that all the chord progressions that are played are actually derived from C-G(chords of course)....and that they are numbered with Roman Numerals....
C: I
D: II
E: III
F: IV
G: V
A: VI
B: VII

so that they wont be confused with the regular notes...

and thats where he's gotten so far because he has SATs and hes studying a lot lately :razz:

darn SATs!!!! :razz: :lol: hehehe
http://allpoetry.com/fallengoddess - Check out my poetry and tell me what you think! Many thanks! -

darkcarnival13

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/Spaztasticgrl13
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 08:26:46 am »
usually, i write the lyrics down in a special notebook.
sometimes when im just messing around on the piano, i'll make up a little tune, and write a song, and build from there.
Want a garden by the ocean tide
but i lose my way, searching for stage lights....

Felo

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - agypsytale@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vanessa-carlton.com.mx
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 12:52:44 am »
Sometimes I have a melody in my head that just needs to come out, so I sit in my keyboard and start playing until it sees the light. It's not like I'm an expert or anything, it usually take hours before the melody comes out the way I want.

I also write my own lyrics. I always try to brainstorm on every chance I have. Most of the time I carry my backpack, so I'm sure I have a notebook to write in. I have even stopped while walking just to write down something that was going through my mind at the moment, lol. There are also times where I just find myself singing the first thing I can think of, and before I realize, I come out with a verse or a chorus idea.

It's quite therapeutic xD!

SadAsBlue

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 04:49:07 pm »
I totally agree!! The other day I was really upset and in a bad mood and i wrote a song and I felt like a million pounds were lifted off my back.
ENS

VanessaCarltonMania

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 12:04:19 am »
yeah...it is very relaxing to write a song....especially when i am in a bad mood....
It makes everything better :lol:
http://allpoetry.com/fallengoddess - Check out my poetry and tell me what you think! Many thanks! -

Felo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 01:03:44 am »
actually, I prefer not no write when I'm in a bad mood... I have lots of self-esteem issues that I'm working on at the moment, and when I come back to myself and read what I wrote when I was in that state always tends to bring me down again, so I try to stay positive all the time :D
plus, being in a good mood brings out the best of me x)

did that make any sense at all...?

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 04:25:58 am »
Quote from: "Felo"
actually, I prefer not no write when I'm in a bad mood... I have lots of self-esteem issues that I'm working on at the moment, and when I come back to myself and read what I wrote when I was in that state always tends to bring me down again, so I try to stay positive all the time :D

It is often a good thing to write about the bad stuff- positivity all the time is not an accurate, nor honest representation of life. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be postive though, I just think it's an important thing to keep in mind if you want to sound "real" in your songs. That's my opinion, but of course you don't have to agree with me.  :)
-CONFUCIUS

SadAsBlue

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 02:52:14 pm »

Makes perfect sense. I think we all view ourselves in a harsh way, sometimes more often than others and some people more so than others. For me writing gets it out, but I can totally understand where it wouldn't. And besides writing being in a good mood brings out the best in me too.
ENS

Felo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 05:23:20 pm »
Quote from: "MeganJane"

It is often a good thing to write about the bad stuff- positivity all the time is not an accurate, nor honest representation of life. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be postive though, I just think it's an important thing to keep in mind if you want to sound "real" in your songs. That's my opinion, but of course you don't have to agree with me.  :)

It's not like I'm always irradiating positivity, love, colors and flowers. But I do understand what you're saying, I just need to find a balance in my emotions because I'm pretty much bipolar, and when I get down, it means I-GET-DOWN. That's why I try to avoid that state of mind at all costs :)

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 05:36:31 pm »
i like darker music...like at the moment im writting a song themed of murdering some1 and cleaning up the aftermath and no one knowing what happened. it  tells a story. wait & see.

VanessaCarltonMania

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2008, 06:21:42 am »
Quote from: "MeganJane"

It's not like I'm always irradiating positivity, love, colors and flowers. But I do understand what you're saying, I just need to find a balance in my emotions because I'm pretty much bipolar, and when I get down, it means I-GET-DOWN. That's why I try to avoid that state of mind at all costs :)

hahha
im the sameee!

its either im hyper and happy and love and joyyy
or im so mad and upset and stuff....

its weird :razz: but thats me :lol: :D :D

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 02:27:57 am »
Quote from: "iluvvanessa"
i like darker music...like at the moment im writting a song themed of murdering some1 and cleaning up the aftermath and no one knowing what happened. it  tells a story. wait & see.

Sounds really interesting, I'd love to read it when it's finished!  :D
I like darker music too. I love Vanessa's darker songs, they're my cup of tea  :)

In regards to my last comment, if writing about dark feelings gets you more down, then it's probably a good thing not to do it! If it's not your thing, it's not your thing. For lots of people (like me) though, it helps. I like a lot of dark songs because often just listening to them helps deal with bad feelings. Each to his own.  :D
-CONFUCIUS