Author Topic: 8/2 Spiedie Fest (review)  (Read 5116 times)

jlmusicchick

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
8/2 Spiedie Fest (review)
« on: August 03, 2008, 01:22:50 pm »
Hey all, so Vanessa's performance went really well last night. The only bad thing about it was that it was wayyyy too short. The singer performing before her was Ace Young, a guy from American Idol (I had no idea who he was until someone told me). He was good, but sang for an hour. Vanessa's piano was set up, but had to be tuned which took about 45 minutes!

Since things were running an hour and a half behind schedule her set list had to be cut short, and it was pretty short to begin with. The set was:

Nolita Fairytale
PYHOM
Ordinary Day
White Houses
Heroes & Thieves
Who's To Say
Pretty Baby
ATM
Home

I snatched the set list which also had More Than This on it, but that had to be cut. Anyway, I'm pleased to say that her vocals were great, and the only times she faulted were during White Houses on the first note, which always happens, and on Pretty Baby when she forgot the words.

Pretty Baby was actually one of my favorite songs she performed, and I'm not a huge fan of it. She performed with a guitarist, and instead of playing the piano she had him play the guitar while she sang. She told the audience that she prefers that version as opposed to the one on her album. She also had a cheat sheet on her piano since she hadn't sung it in so long, but she still forgot the words. Most of the people in the audience were singing along and filled in for her, haha.

She told the story of how she came up with the idea behind Heroes & Thieves. She said she was walking Viktor in Central Park and got caught in a horrible thunderstorm. She tried to open her umbrella but it turned inside out right away, and then she had to take off her shoes. She said it was a disaster, but sometimes disasters are good things, and that's what got her thinking about disasters and heroes & thieves.

She also looked great - a typical white lacey/boho top and skinny jeans with boots. I do have pictures but don't have anything to resize them with (they're huge) so if anyone can resize them for me, let me know and I'll email them to you. I also took some video clips but have no idea how to host them, so if someone could help me with that I'd be greatful!

There was a decent sized audience considering the weather (thunderstorms on and off all day) and it was all around a great performance, despite the fact it was way too short! No meet and greet afterwards, but because it was so late she wouldn't have been able to anyway (she finished just as the festival was closing). She got a great reaction from the crowd!

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 01:51:22 pm »
Awe, PB. Man I miss that song. So funny I was just talking about it yesterday in the NYC (review) thread.

Thanks for the review and try photobucket for your pictures, it usually resizes them for you. YouTube is great for videos.

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 01:52:30 pm »
sounds really awesome! :] i'm glad her voice got better and that she got a lot of love.

well. you could upload them to mediafire.com, their thumbnails are pretty reasonably-sized.
formerly fish_for__stars.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 03:38:56 pm »
anyone take pics or videos or anything?

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 02:35:15 pm »
PYHOM?

Pretty...yucky hands on me?
haha
Peace
Adriann

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 04:34:08 pm »
Hey all, sorry for the delay but I finally have my pictures up on photobucket. Here's the link: http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/littlejess/Vanessa%208-02%20Spiedie%20Fest/

Also, I'm working on the video clips I took, but the computer I have for the summer is pretty basic so loading is taking forever!

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 07:28:54 am »
Here are the video clips that I took from the show:

Home

Pretty Baby

ATM

Nolita Fairytale

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 09:40:09 pm »
Awesome!  Seems to me she sounded great!  :D
Dustin

blueglove

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 07:34:37 pm »
did pretty baby get new lyrics?
Peace
-S

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 07:44:19 pm »
"AND ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO BE SO SURE
BUT YOU'RE THE CLOSEST THAT I'VE COME TO THE CURE"

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 07:45:40 pm »
love those new lyrics = ] and just the fact that she is playing Pretty Baby again.  :D

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 07:54:06 pm »
^me too. she didnt play it at the concert i went to. and during sound check the guitarist played it, and i was so excited, but no pretty baby...damn. I still wanna hear come undone.