Author Topic: Vocals?  (Read 4198 times)

NolitaFairytale

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Vocals?
« on: May 22, 2011, 04:29:03 pm »
I was just sitting here, listening to some V, when I realised something. I have never heard Vanessa utilize any sort of vibrato when singing? I know not everybody uses it, but I have been reading up a lot on it recently, and - although I'm not sure of it's validity - I read somewheres that vibrato is a natural happening, when everything, breathing, posture, diaphragm, etc. are all in proper, correct coordination. If this statement is seen to be true, does that mean Vanessa isn't singing 'correctly'? So, in this way, I was just wondering about your guys views on Vanessa's vocals, whether you think she's technically good, or whatever? :D

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Vocals?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 05:48:08 pm »
I think she does have vibrato, more so recently and more so in live stuff.  It's funny you brought it up because I really noticed it in the London recording from the sunset sessions. 
I think vibrato is a 'natural happening' but I don't think it means she would be any less of singer if she didn't do it, it would just not be part of her singing voice and she shouldn't force something like that.
~Sara~

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 10:40:36 pm »
Screw posture and other methods that people consider as the 'correct way' to sing. I think that there is no such thing. Or at least for the arts, there isn't. 

And besides, people have different timbres. No two voices can ever be 100% same. It's a unique thing.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:15:41 am »
You can argue technique all day long, who has more training or more experience or even a wider range, but it all comes down to whether the performance moves you or not.  Vanessa may not be the best singer of all time(I think it's Ella Fitzgerald, actually), but she is amazingly consistent, having seen her live many times. The sound of her voice stirs something in me, and has since day one.

Over-use of vibrato can create pitch problems versus the rest of a track.

For what it's worth, I once did a vocal on a track and at one point I managed to sing with vibrato.  And you know what?  My voice sucks, so vibrato itself doesn't mean anything.  Ever hear Maroon 5's "She Will Be Loved" where all of Adam's vibrato is autotuned out?  Friggin' creepy.  Point is, vibrato has its place but it isn't everything.

Dan/NS

Serentic

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - serentic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 01:49:00 pm »
You can argue technique all day long, who has more training or more experience or even a wider range, but it all comes down to whether the performance moves you or not.  Vanessa may not be the best singer of all time(I think it's Ella Fitzgerald, actually), but she is amazingly consistent, having seen her live many times. The sound of her voice stirs something in me, and has since day one.

Over-use of vibrato can create pitch problems versus the rest of a track.

For what it's worth, I once did a vocal on a track and at one point I managed to sing with vibrato.  And you know what?  My voice sucks, so vibrato itself doesn't mean anything.  Ever hear Maroon 5's "She Will Be Loved" where all of Adam's vibrato is autotuned out?  Friggin' creepy.  Point is, vibrato has its place but it isn't everything.

Dan/NS

This. In singing and violin, vibrato is used to add depth to a pitch. However, a lot of people use it to eliminate tone and pitch problems.

In vocals, it actually deteriorates the vocal folds if it's not used correctly. Scary? D:

I think I like Vanessa's voice more without a lot of it. I'm listening to Heroes and Thieves right now, and in Hands on Me she uses it very, very lightly. C: It sounds nice that way. Her way of singing sounds really natural -- it's not the most fantastic voice I've ever heard, but it's up there because it conveys emotion.

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 11:01:27 pm »

That is so true.

Her voice as I said before... is HOME.

It has this eerie sense of deja vu... Like I've met her in another life ;-).
"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 11:33:10 am »
i don't know much about singing and my voice? oh it sucks haha
but all i can say is that vanessa may not have the GREATEST VOICE EVER, but omg, i can't explain it. it's so beautiful, so fucking beautiful that gives me goosebumps and just to think about it makes me wanna cry. maybe not the greatest voice (or maybe yes), but she's definitely the greatest artist in my opinion.
wow!

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 05:36:13 pm »
Great topic!

This reminds me of some post I read a long time ago about Fiona Apple and how she, according to one person, used vibrato WAY too much.

I'm also reminded of how the lead singer of Sublime attributed his characteristic vocals to the so-called "damage" from all the pot he smoked.

And then I think of Italian opera singers and how they are un-matched in vocal talent, yet still hold relatively no appeal in my perspective...

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 05:17:14 am »
Great topic!

This reminds me of some post I read a long time ago about Fiona Apple and how she, according to one person, used vibrato WAY too much.

I'm also reminded of how the lead singer of Sublime attributed his characteristic vocals to the so-called "damage" from all the pot he smoked.

And then I think of Italian opera singers and how they are un-matched in vocal talent, yet still hold relatively no appeal in my perspective...

Bradley Nowell.  Oh yes, how he makes my heart a flutter.  His vocals stirred me before Vanessa's did but to me they both are unmatched in the way they can make me just melt.  They both pull me in ways I am at a lost to describe at this time.
I agree with your sentiment on opera singers.
~Sara~

JamesCrowley

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 02:40:50 pm »
I don't think using vibrato makes you 'technically good', it's just a stylistic trait. I personally think that Vanessa's got such a beautiful quality to her voice, partly because it's not full of over-complicated techniques. I'm not saying vibrato can't be stunning (Amy Lee and Adele are two of my other favourite popular singers who happen to use it beautifully) i just think that it wouldn't really suit all of the songs which she writes as they don't lend themselves to that type of voice :)

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 04:32:39 pm »
I don't think using vibrato makes you 'technically good', it's just a stylistic trait. I personally think that Vanessa's got such a beautiful quality to her voice, partly because it's not full of over-complicated techniques. I'm not saying vibrato can't be stunning (Amy Lee and Adele are two of my other favourite popular singers who happen to use it beautifully) i just think that it wouldn't really suit all of the songs which she writes as they don't lend themselves to that type of voice :)

I like all your ideas here.  I don't know Amy Lee but Adele is amazing.
~Sara~

JamesCrowley

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 05:28:06 am »

Haha thanks :) Amy Lee is the lead singer of Evanescence (they are quite heavy, but she has got the most beautiful voce so I don't mind). If you want something nice to listen to whilst waiting for ROTR- 1 month more waiting?- then check her out. They've got a new album coming out soon-ish too!

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 07:33:13 am »

Haha thanks :) Amy Lee is the lead singer of Evanescence (they are quite heavy, but she has got the most beautiful voce so I don't mind). If you want something nice to listen to whilst waiting for ROTR- 1 month more waiting?- then check her out. They've got a new album coming out soon-ish too!

oh yes she has an unreal vocal style
~Sara~