Author Topic: London  (Read 44041 times)

Patricius

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Lo hice; se lo hizo. ¿Seré encontrado?
    • View Profile
Re: London
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2010, 01:11:16 pm »
I like the song very much, and now, it's my favorite (I think I said this earlier, right? If "Waltz" was still "Waltz," "London" would be my second favorite).  The only lyric change I'm not all to crazy about is "Now I'm staring at the sun, as if they're a riddle I'm not in on."  I'm still a fan of "The earth will turn when we're gone, so we pray that Heaven what's for [on?] us."  I think it fits the "heavenly creatures" aspect more, but that's just me.
"The road is ahead of us, so let's start out today...The people and the friends that we have lost, or the dreams that have faded... Never forget them."

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2010, 05:12:24 am »
I agree. The first version creates more scenery in a listeners' mind.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

Sai

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2010, 10:41:56 am »
I agree that the first version does fit the "heavenly creatures" part better. But I still don't like that line so I don't mind if the new version doesn't compliment it because I just want it to be gone! haha. I actually think I prefer the new lyrics because they are more unique sounding. It's kind of a toss up for me though, cuz both are good.

sabasaba

« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2010, 06:22:00 pm »
I like the song very much, and now, it's my favorite (I think I said this earlier, right? If "Waltz" was still "Waltz," "London" would be my second favorite).  The only lyric change I'm not all to crazy about is "Now I'm staring at the sun, as if they're a riddle I'm not in on."  I'm still a fan of "The earth will turn when we're gone, so we pray that Heaven what's for [on?] us."  I think it fits the "heavenly creatures" aspect more, but that's just me.

AGREED. The previous lyric fit waaaay better in the song than the latest one. I hope the studio version has the old one.

sabasaba

« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2010, 06:22:48 pm »
"Got a knife-throwing kind of love, but your silence cuts the deepest."

Beautiful. I always wonder who she writes all these songs about....

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2010, 09:02:22 pm »
I think she refers to the moon that never speaks back.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

Patricius

• Lo hice; se lo hizo. ¿Seré encontrado?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2010, 07:29:07 pm »
From the first time I heard this, I always thought that London was a conflict between religion and science, as a literally take on "Heavenly creatures" and "wait for it"  and "Heaven" waiting for us.  Personally, I think about it's like... agnosticism and spirituality vs. a set religion and criteria for faith.  I guess it also fits Tall Tales for Spring.  She seems very "I believe in hard, factual science now."

Or maybe this is just my religious struggle coming out. :X
"The road is ahead of us, so let's start out today...The people and the friends that we have lost, or the dreams that have faded... Never forget them."

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2010, 02:19:28 am »
I think that it really is about faith. She said before that, setting aside her state of being spiritual, the song is about wondering why the moon doesn't speak back to you when you call to it. I know, I'm redundant.

Anyway, I don't think V had lost her faith on religion or something, just an outsider's view. But whether she had or had not is a personal matter, IMO. It's her choice, so there's nothing I can do but support her with her choices.

vttmishere

• do it, do it
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2010, 08:23:05 am »
I also agree. But I guess I still prefer the song totally as it was before, with the "He waits for me at home" part.
But I'm happy just to know that it's going to be on the album. Since she performed it live for the first time I'm anxiously waiting for the studio version.
'can't fight the force of my young beating heart'

Sai

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2010, 11:46:30 am »
From the first time I heard this, I always thought that London was a conflict between religion and science, as a literally take on "Heavenly creatures" and "wait for it"  and "Heaven" waiting for us.  Personally, I think about it's like... agnosticism and spirituality vs. a set religion and criteria for faith.  I guess it also fits Tall Tales for Spring.  She seems very "I believe in hard, factual science now."

I agree, both seem to me to be about questioning religion. I'd like to hear what she has to say about the themes in her music though. I personally am not a religious person, but V seems like she always has been. It just makes me wonder what's going on inside that head of hers! haha

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2010, 07:22:57 pm »
I agree. I've been wondering about what's going on inside her head too. I've known her to be a religious person, but when I heard "London," I became confused.

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2010, 05:08:08 pm »
I agree. I've been wondering about what's going on inside her head too. I've known her to be a religious person, but when I heard "London," I became confused.
SAME! Then when I heard her mention Hawkings, I became even more confused haha.

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2010, 01:14:31 am »
Yeah. I think science has been playing a great part in her beliefs now?

georgina

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2010, 02:09:00 pm »
i never interpreted this song as having anything to do with religion? I perceived heavenly creatures to be metaphorical...

And I've never been so sure
That after all these years, all that I've learned
Is that heavenly creatures never come
They never come

to me, it sounds like, after many failed relationships, she's realized that the perfect (perhaps, "angelic") person doesn't exist. you kind of pray that this amazing person will come and save you from the mundanity of life. but it never happens. and if you do meet someone like that, the longer you get to know them the more mortal they appear, eventually hurting you. she keeps hoping, but has now come to terms with reality.

...am i crazy?

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2010, 02:46:44 pm »
i never interpreted this song as having anything to do with religion? I perceived heavenly creatures to be metaphorical...

And I've never been so sure
That after all these years, all that I've learned
Is that heavenly creatures never come
They never come

to me, it sounds like, after many failed relationships, she's realized that the perfect (perhaps, "angelic") person doesn't exist. you kind of pray that this amazing person will come and save you from the mundanity of life. but it never happens. and if you do meet someone like that, the longer you get to know them the more mortal they appear, eventually hurting you. she keeps hoping, but has now come to terms with reality.

...am i crazy?

No you're not. And I like your interpretation. We just kind of focused on the religious interpretation of the song because that was what V has mentioned in her previous shows - why the moon doesn't talk back to you when you do to it.