Author Topic: London  (Read 44040 times)

sabasaba

Re: London
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2010, 09:40:14 pm »
i never interpreted this song as having anything to do with religion? I perceived heavenly creatures to be metaphorical...

And I've never been so sure
That after all these years, all that I've learned
Is that heavenly creatures never come
They never come

to me, it sounds like, after many failed relationships, she's realized that the perfect (perhaps, "angelic") person doesn't exist. you kind of pray that this amazing person will come and save you from the mundanity of life. but it never happens. and if you do meet someone like that, the longer you get to know them the more mortal they appear, eventually hurting you. she keeps hoping, but has now come to terms with reality.

...am i crazy?

No, you're not. I like your interpretation.

lavender skies

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2011, 06:07:17 pm »
You know, I really hope I start to like this song because I cannot get into it...It's one of my least favorite songs of hers of all time... I'm sure I will fall in love with the album version, though. I must be missing something because everyone loves this song.

Weisz

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2011, 01:23:15 am »
You know, I really hope I start to like this song because I cannot get into it...It's one of my least favorite songs of hers of all time... I'm sure I will fall in love with the album version, though. I must be missing something because everyone loves this song.

I was the same, it has grown a lot on me lately tho, and then when i heard the snippet on the new video i was like...holy shit, and now im sooo excited for it ;D  ;D
It's just me....and a drum. brmbrmbrmbrmbrbbrbrbrmmm

Still stars through a window, will they ever know this madness, madness of the

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2011, 10:25:10 am »
Gosh, I connected to this song immediately, and I'm going to post about it again today because I had an epiphany while driving today.  First off, I'll apologize if someone else already said this because I haven't read through this topic in a bit.  It is also very close to what I have written before but today something struck me as slightly differnt and I had to share. 
The meaning I get from this song is a crisis of faith.  But not just faith of religion; faith in love, faith in life, faith in creativity, faith for faith's sake and of course faith in the spiritual and religious senses.  I remember her saying this was the first song she wrote in a long time, it was what broke her writer's block.  I think it is because it expresses all the crisis of faith that she was feeling in herself, in others, and in the world around her.  She was finally able to express all the "crisis" she was feeling.  "looking for the secrets" is looking for all the answers to every question that crisis in faith brings about.  She was searching for meaning and searching for reasons.
That is what it means to me, and even if that's not what it means to her, it will always strike me in this way.
~Sara~

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2011, 07:19:26 pm »
Gosh, I connected to this song immediately, and I'm going to post about it again today because I had an epiphany while driving today.  First off, I'll apologize if someone else already said this because I haven't read through this topic in a bit.  It is also very close to what I have written before but today something struck me as slightly differnt and I had to share. 
The meaning I get from this song is a crisis of faith.  But not just faith of religion; faith in love, faith in life, faith in creativity, faith for faith's sake and of course faith in the spiritual and religious senses.  I remember her saying this was the first song she wrote in a long time, it was what broke her writer's block.  I think it is because it expresses all the crisis of faith that she was feeling in herself, in others, and in the world around her.  She was finally able to express all the "crisis" she was feeling.  "looking for the secrets" is looking for all the answers to every question that crisis in faith brings about.  She was searching for meaning and searching for reasons.
That is what it means to me, and even if that's not what it means to her, it will always strike me in this way.

You're like, the V -song-decoder. (: I love your interpretation.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2011, 09:48:39 pm »

awww, thank you! That means a lot. No one  else replied :) thanks so much.  It's just what it means to me these days!
~Sara~

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2011, 09:58:27 pm »

awww, thank you! That means a lot. No one  else replied :) thanks so much.  It's just what it means to me these days!

(: You're welcome..

Your interpretation got me thinking actually. Maybe it's the way how London set V free from writer's block. there's no better way to conquer writer's block than to write about the block itself.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2011, 10:00:12 pm »

(: You're welcome..

Your interpretation got me thinking actually. Maybe it's the way how London set V free from writer's block. there's no better way to conquer writer's block than to write about the block itself.

hmmmm! yesss!
~Sara~

VaderDawsn

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2011, 04:47:53 pm »

I really like this take on the meaning of this song.  This is what I love about VC's music.  Her lyrics relate so much to these universal struggles as we mature.  When I met her after her show at SUNY Oneonta, I told her that her music was "the soundtrack of my life", because her lyrics are so easy to relate to.  8 years later, I still feel the same way.
-Samantha

For me it's a glance
And a smile on your face
A touch of your hands
An honest embrace - VC, Home

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2011, 04:53:08 pm »

I really like this take on the meaning of this song.  This is what I love about VC's music.  Her lyrics relate so much to these universal struggles as we mature.  When I met her after her show at SUNY Oneonta, I told her that her music was "the soundtrack of my life", because her lyrics are so easy to relate to.  8 years later, I still feel the same way.

Thanks!  I think that is what I love about it too. It's just so..deep and awesome.  I'm jealous you got to meet her.  I am hoping I can at least meet her shake her hand and get enough courage to say Hi this summer in NYC or Boston.
~Sara~

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2011, 03:08:40 am »

Thanks!  I think that is what I love about it too. It's just so..deep and awesome.  I'm jealous you got to meet her.  I am hoping I can at least meet her shake her hand and get enough courage to say Hi this summer in NYC or Boston.

At least you guys have the opportunity this summer.

I don't even know if she will ever come back here in the Philippines. Just shake her hands really well for me.  ;D

Manny

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2011, 07:00:20 am »
i never interpreted this song as having anything to do with religion? I perceived heavenly creatures to be metaphorical...

And I've never been so sure
That after all these years, all that I've learned
Is that heavenly creatures never come
They never come

to me, it sounds like, after many failed relationships, she's realized that the perfect (perhaps, "angelic") person doesn't exist. you kind of pray that this amazing person will come and save you from the mundanity of life. but it never happens. and if you do meet someone like that, the longer you get to know them the more mortal they appear, eventually hurting you. she keeps hoping, but has now come to terms with reality.

...am i crazy?

I can relate a lot more with this  :'(

sabasaba

« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2011, 01:30:32 pm »
I think 'London' is a grower...

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2011, 02:23:44 pm »

ohhh not for me. something clicked with me immediately, then with my own personal epiphany and interpretation, it only grew deeper :)  I also like Georgina's interpretation on the meaning, but I feel like the song came about because of a crisis in faith.
~Sara~

Patricius

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Lo hice; se lo hizo. ¿Seré encontrado?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2011, 11:30:15 am »

I have to go with Sarab on this one: I enjoyed and connected with London immediately.  Once the "good" quality version of it was featured on YouTube (the one from Hotel Cafe some time in March), I loved it immediately.  Uncanny timing or not...the lyrics just seem to be fitting what I was going to.  Fairweather Friends for me was a grower. :P
"The road is ahead of us, so let's start out today...The people and the friends that we have lost, or the dreams that have faded... Never forget them."