Author Topic: Fairweather Friend (lyrics & your thoughts)  (Read 68193 times)

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fairweather Friend (lyrics & your thoughts)
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2011, 01:34:28 pm »
In the book, she uses magical thinking to get through her grief and loss.  While she knows her husband is gone, she doesn't want to throw out his shoes because he may come back and then what would he wear on his feet?  so to me, it's more of the loss of the relationship
~Sara~

raacheeel

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/raacheeel
« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2011, 10:25:09 pm »
what is the meaning of ' magical thinking ' I saw a video where Vanessa is explaining it but cant find it.

The Year of Magical Thinking is a book by Joan Didion about grief and getting through a great loss.
I think magical thinking itself has to do with the brain and that we have these neural pathways that we use over and over in the way of our thinking so that if start to think in a different way we create a new pathway in the brain.  If you think it over and over then it becomes a new neural pathway.  I think.
Yea it's like telling yourself everything is ok even if it isn't but because you've told yourself over and over, you actually start to believe it.

came up with the same conclusion!

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
  • Thanks for everything, V
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2011, 09:12:19 am »
"Dulls sharp knives" ?

I listened to it the other day, and I remember hearing "eyes" instead of "knives". Does anyone else agree?

Manny

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2011, 09:32:46 am »

or... just your mind's way of telling yourself that everything is ok, ~he's still a great guy even though he did all these terrible things, our relationship can still last if we both want it to because i still love him dammit.

=P lol

Dammit!

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2011, 01:26:13 pm »
"Dulls sharp knives" ?

I listened to it the other day, and I remember hearing "eyes" instead of "knives". Does anyone else agree?

I don't have the booklet on me but I'm 98% sure she sings eyes.
~Sara~

Onyx

• Let's make this our story
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2011, 01:50:43 pm »
"Dulls sharp knives" ?

Yep, it's eyes. I always think she says knifes, but it is eyes.

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2011, 05:15:22 pm »
"Dulls sharp knives" ?

Yep, it's eyes. I always think she says knifes, but it is eyes.

That's what I thought. Thanks, Sara and Onyx

raacheeel

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2011, 01:56:30 am »
damn wtf but knives makes more sense haha

dulling the knives...the pain of knives dulling it with vodka to make the pain go away? haha

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2011, 06:05:18 am »

dulling the knives...the pain of knives dulling it with vodka to make the pain go away? haha

But with Vodka, if you drink enough of it, your 'sharp eyes' would begin feeling 'dull'. I can't state this, because I'm still underaged, but I know that eyes look glazed after consuming a particular amount of alcohol.

raacheeel

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2011, 09:57:02 am »

But with Vodka, if you drink enough of it, your 'sharp eyes' would begin feeling 'dull'. I can't state this, because I'm still underaged, but I know that eyes look glazed after consuming a particular amount of alcohol.

lol i suppose, if Vanessa says eyes then it's eyes haha

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2011, 01:41:57 pm »

yes, I have the same explanation somewhere else with a little more ..somewhere ..
~Sara~

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2011, 07:06:41 am »
It used to be knives (I saw her perform it live and it was definitely knives) but I have the book and she changed it to eyes.  I liked knives better, to be honest - I just thought that was such good imagery.

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 17, 2011, 03:00:19 am »
I just listened to the premier version of FWF (the one in LA, where she talked and explained the song first). man, it sounded far from where it is now. What I miss from the old version is the power in the vocals and the strong strings in the verses (which sounded like it's a chugging train).

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: October 17, 2011, 04:21:57 am »
for some reason it never clicked with me that she had read a letter to someone else.  I had always thought it was a letter to her (like a breakup letter) until at the Buffalo show she said "never read letters that aren't intended for you."  I don't remember her ever saying that before in any live performance I had heard.  I connect with the song on a different level now because I too once read a letter that wasn't intended for me and found out my boyfriend at the time was cheating (he went to a different high school so it was very easy for him). 

I should go back and listen to the first version again.  I'm guessing this is one of the songs that KT tunstal said was too dark!
~Sara~

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 17, 2011, 06:12:52 am »
for some reason it never clicked with me that she had read a letter to someone else.  I had always thought it was a letter to her (like a breakup letter) until at the Buffalo show she said "never read letters that aren't intended for you."  I don't remember her ever saying that before in any live performance I had heard.  I connect with the song on a different level now because I too once read a letter that wasn't intended for me and found out my boyfriend at the time was cheating (he went to a different high school so it was very easy for him). 

I should go back and listen to the first version again.  I'm guessing this is one of the songs that KT tunstal said was too dark!

Why hasn't that one occurred to be before? (but I think that that song was somewhat related to lavender or something)

I think that the candidness of the lyrics here, the rawness of it, is something I never expected. But the best thing about the premier, I must say, is how V threw the words - with power and force. Maybe, there was even a tinge of anger... Or bitterness. Or maybe it's just powerful, not the sweet approach in Rabbits.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.