Author Topic: Meanings and Notions behind the Songs  (Read 32757 times)

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
Meanings and Notions behind the Songs
« on: June 01, 2010, 02:56:17 am »
Hey there.  :D

V  always speaks before performing a song live, usually about the idea behind of the song. I wonder what are the other notions behind the other songs. I already found out the meanings behind the following songs:

Demo Tape
Little Mary - based on the stereotypes surrounding how V is supposed to be this perfect little girl when she states herself that she is far from it.
10.Faces - how important it is to be yourself instead of playing parts.

Rinse
3.Superhero - waiting for someone (i.e., a superhero) to come and rescue her
All I Ask - insecurity about holding on to what you have; coupled with the feeling that you're moving backwards (I'm in the wrong direction)

Be Not Nobody
1.Ordinary Day - based on a dream V had; being able to do anything your heart desires (divide and conquer this land) with the one you care about by your side.
2.Unsung - __________________
3.AThousand Miles - love that so consumes you so much that you could walk that you would walk a thousand miles just to see that person.
4.Pretty Baby - about being in a relationship where the feelings of one is not reciprocated by the other.
5.Rinse - about having a point of stalking in every girl's life.
6.Sway - __________________
7.Paradise - __________________
8.Prince - __________________
9.Paint It Black - cover
10.Wanted - written when a boy liked V just because she's good at playing piano, to prove she's got more than what he wanted.
11.Twilight - letting go of past and starting over again

Harmonium - Complete
1.White Houses - a song about rites of passage.
2.Who's to Say - for relations disapproved by 'the government or mothers.'
3.Annie - about a girl V met named Victoria
4.San Francisco - a slap in the face to Stephan. (I, I know what you did, like a boy of summer gives his first kiss); also about how V feels at home in the city (this is our utopia) and should be considered a precursor to 'Home'.
5.Afterglow - letting go anchors of pain.
6.Private Radio - insomia (Find me out of my pillow).
7.Half A Week Before The Winter - Darwin's theory of evolution; metaphoric reference to the fight in music industry bet. artists and music labels.
8.C'est La Vie - a post-break-up song; V used the term as a substitute for f*** it.
9.Papa- about someone who puts on a fake face towards a relationship even though he doesn't really care about it.
10.She Floats - about a ghost in her closet and the euphoria one gets from being tortured to death.
11.The Wreckage - how she wants to start a car crash.
12.Where The Streets Have No Name - cover; about how it feels free from the prejudice that is based on the name of the street you live in.

Heroes & Thieves
1.Nolita Fairytale - about what's really important in life, setting aside the idea of glitz and glamor.
2.Hands On Me - about putting faith on your loved ones
3.Spring Street - about the circle of life and the changes it brings.
4.My Best - be the best version of yourself to those you love. (V thinks it's a big, fat lie)
5.Come Undone - __________________
6.The One - based from V's talk with Stevie regarding the one; about taking things from past relationships & using them to shape you for the future.
7.Heroes & Thieves -  about assessing which things are which (heroes and thieves in exaggeration) in our lives.
8.This Time - recovering
9.Fools Like Me - all are fools for love and remaining a fool for love is important.
10.Home - feeling of being at home with the person you love the most.
11.More Than This - true happiness can be achieved if at this moment, we declare we don't need anything more than what we have now.

Rabbits On The Run
1.Carousel - about how good things come around again, despite the down side of life.
2.I Don't Want To Be A Bride - not against marriage but rather about living life to its fullest.
3.London - "why the moon doesn't speak back when you talk to it," pertaining to the heavenly creatures. Most probably, about V's atheism (as she revealed in the live stream).
4.Fair-Weather Friends - magical thinking, in the sense that the brain can only let in so much reality until it starts to create things to fit the pattern of the "norm."
5.Hear The Bells - written as a reflection of the time when V got sick
7.Tall Tales for Spring - "a song for Stephen Hawkings"
8.Get Good - based on a Sylvia Plath poem, it is a song written for a friend who was contemplating on divorce.

Misc.
All Is Well - about insecurities in a relationship.
Best Behavior - about wondering what went wrong in a relationship, despite of best behavior.
Carnival - about chasing down the person you love without success.
Dark Carnival - a precursor to 'Half A Week Before the Winter', with more awesome and less unicorns; modified version of Carnival.
Morning Sting - emotions being raw on mornings.

I still have a lot to fill up. Can anyone help me out? ???
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:31:07 am by [sobriquet] »

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
Re: Notions behind the Songs
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:34:04 am »
"Half A Week Before the Winter" is actually about the music industry.

The big cats (vampires) VS the artists (unicorns)

"He sits behind a desk of mahogany
And whispers dreams into my ears
Although I've given him his empire
He delivers me my fears
"

"Nolita Fairytale" is more about realising what's important. You don't need the glitz & glam to live a happy life.

"C'est La Vie" is her way of saying "fuck it".

"The One" is about taking things from past relationships & using them to shape you for the future (as said on Soundstage).

"Fools Like Me" - all fools for love and remaining a fool for love is important.

"All Is Well" - insecurities in relationships.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:39:20 am by Martin. »

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 03:37:51 am »
Thanks!  ;D List updated.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 03:39:36 am by [sobriquet] »

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 06:53:06 am »
Nonprobs.

One thing - it's between artists and record labels ("HAWBTW"). :)

pswik91

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Re: Meanings and Notions behind the Songs
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 11:14:44 am »
So these are some of my interpretations of V's songs =) well what they mean. I tried to do some of the ones that you had and add to them, and also do ones that you didn't have.
Fair-Weather Friends - magical thinking... in the sense that the brain can only let in so much reality until it starts to create things to fit the pattern of the "norm."
Home- wishing to be with the one you love the most, because you are unhappy. (you could have everything you wanted, but still are missing your soulmate)
Ordinary Day- being able to anything your heart desires with the one you care about by your side.
Pretty Baby- about being in a relationship where only one person cares more than the other. you give them all your love but in return they don't love you back.
Fools Like Me- about being a fool in love.   you think the person you love cares for you, when really it's all a lie.

I hope this felps a little bit I tried to find the ones with the deepest meanings =)

Serentic

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - serentic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 01:37:38 pm »
All I Ask - Insecurity about holding on to what you have; coupled with the feeling that you're moving backwards (I'm in the wrong direction)

Little Mary - Based on the stereotypes surrounding how Vanessa is supposed to be this perfect little girl when she states herself that she is far from it.

San Francisco - It's actually a slap in the face to Stephan, [ I, I know what you did, like a boy of summer gives his first kiss; we're back and you tell me I'm home ] It's also about how she feels at home in the city [this is our utopia]; and should be considered a precursor to 'Home'.

Papa - It's about someone who puts on a fake face towards a relationship even though they don't really care about it.

Ordinary Day - A boy who she didn't know very well; who she thought had everything; she suddenly sees in a new light and falls in love.

Paint it Black - Cover

Dark Carnival - Used in a videogame, actually. It's a precursor to 'Half A Week Before the Winter', with more awesome and less unicorns. [ It's the edge of the dawn, when she looks in your eyes. And she wants what is hers before the light. And she runs on her own, and you'll hurt before you know. Not a sweet alibi, when you get your bloody dose, in the still of the night.]

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 10:33:58 pm »
Thanks, everyone. We're almost there!  ;D

vttmishere

• Make me high on lullabies
  • do it, do it
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 08:31:23 am »
From what she told on the Milford concert, "London" is about "why the moon doesn't speak back when you talk to it". In my understanding, it is essencially about faith and the feeling that, sometimes, God or any powerful force in which you believe seems to not be listening or watching for us. Also, by the lyrics, it's about not being satisfied with your life and to be always wondering and wanting to discover things, to make the best of your time because it cannot be taken back.

Well, this thing of "meanings of Nessa's songs" is pretty subjective to me, they're all so deep that everyone will probably have their own significance upon the songs.
'can't fight the force of my young beating heart'

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 08:40:28 am »
From what she told on the Milford concert, "London" is about "why the moon doesn't speak back when you talk to it". In my understanding, it is essencially about faith and the feeling that, sometimes, God or any powerful force in which you believe seems to not be listening or watching for us. Also, by the lyrics, it's about not being satisfied with your life and to be always wondering and wanting to discover things, to make the best of your time because it cannot be taken back.

Well, this thing of "meanings of Nessa's songs" is pretty subjective to me, they're all so deep that everyone will probably have their own significance upon the songs.

Thanks for the info.  ;D

Actually, I got the meaning of London that I listed as a part of a post of someone in a particular thread (can't remember where and who). And I agree with you with the song means different for evebody. But until I (or someone else) could find some clips of her talk from her live shows or articles or any information from V herself, I'd just use the meanings and notions that you guys provide to me.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 08:44:18 am by [sobriquet] »

Patricius

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Lo hice; se lo hizo. ¿Seré encontrado?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 07:38:43 pm »

Damn... You beat me to it. I was going to say it was about her personally - putting aside Judaism and declaring herself "spiritual." Nonetheless, it's all the same.

As for Come Undone, I feel that it's a song about Steven; then again, I think that a lot about her love songs. :P

Rinse - I'm pretty sure she explained it in her Nashville concert, just don't remember what it was... nor can I really understand what she's saying - too much background noise. But here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrI-s4nf4yU
"The road is ahead of us, so let's start out today...The people and the friends that we have lost, or the dreams that have faded... Never forget them."

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 01:15:36 am »

Damn... You beat me to it. I was going to say it was about her personally - putting aside Judaism and declaring herself "spiritual." Nonetheless, it's all the same.

As for Come Undone, I feel that it's a song about Steven; then again, I think that a lot about her love songs. :P

Rinse - I'm pretty sure she explained it in her Nashville concert, just don't remember what it was... nor can I really understand what she's saying - too much background noise. But here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrI-s4nf4yU

Uhmm.. Steven or Stephan??

nessafan_sa

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 01:32:02 am »

I got a better recording and I think she says, "I'd like to dedicate this to all the women in the audience. Women have tendancies to become stalkers. Now they're all like, 'oh s***, she knows!'. There is a moment in every girl's life where she stalks, she stalks a man for some reason."

hmm.. rinse is about stalking? who knew? :) lol

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 07:45:11 am »

Yeah. Maybe that's why she would do anything to sparkle in his eyes.

I got a better recording and I think she says, "I'd like to dedicate this to all the women in the audience. Women have tendancies to become stalkers. Now they're all like, 'oh s***, she knows!'. There is a moment in every girl's life where she stalks, she stalks a man for some reason."

hmm.. rinse is about stalking? who knew? :) lol

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 04:50:56 pm »
I quoted what she said in concert about More Than This as an opening statement for my english essay once XD hardcore!

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 06:14:54 am »
I quoted what she said in concert about More Than This as an opening statement for my english essay once XD hardcore!

LOL.

I frequently get ideas for my essays from her songs, too. I frequently use "Who's To Say" and "More Than This" as channels of inspiration.