Author Topic: Meanings and Notions behind the Songs  (Read 32737 times)

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
Re: Meanings and Notions behind the Songs
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 03:32:29 pm »
i think wanted is actually about the angryness that you feel when someone you like doesn't give you the value which you deserve.
and once or twice vanessa said that all is well was kinda about finding comfort in a unhealthy depression. "i always sleep so much better when it's raining" since sleep means "feeling good" and the rain is the depression.

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 03:45:53 pm »
oh, and twilight... it's hard to explain the meaning of twilight. she wrote it at her ballet school, and it's kinda about giving away a part of your life ("i will learn to say goodbye to yesterday") to do what you really want to. she didn't want to be a ballet dancer, so she gave it all up although she knew her life wouldn't be the same ("i will never see the sky the same way").
twilight is the end of the day and the begining of the night, since the "day" is the ballet and the "night" is her real wishes (playing her piano, writing her songs and everythin).

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 04:55:12 am »
Thanks!  ;D

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

shinesobright07

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - kami_lynn713@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 01:56:20 pm »
 'This Time' reminds me of like... avoiding relapse, in a sense? Like, I had anorexia and there are certain things that set me back, but like This Time can describe choosing a different path of getting yourself out of a problem. For example, instead of doing what you usually do about stress that's not necessarily actually helping you, you can choose to do something else that does help you. I guess this song can also be about going through a hard time in life.

mysticalmists

• LET THE COUNTDOWN BEGIN.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 01:19:52 am »
Arghh I wish I'd seen this earlier xP It's such a great idea, compiling the history of V's song into a list..I've always wondered about some of them..And I never knew "Ordinary Day" was based on a dream! Thanks so much for compiling all of this!

Damn, I really want to see V live now..

Patricius

• Lo hice; se lo hizo. ¿Seré encontrado?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 10:33:36 pm »
Stephan. :( I always spell his name wrong ["Steven," "Stephan," they sound the same]. Anyway, I think Paradise is about bipolar disorder - a fluctuation in euphoria and depression. Eventually the person goes into his/her manic stage, reflects upon their life, pretends to be happy, and ultimately commits suicide.  It's just a thought.
"The road is ahead of us, so let's start out today...The people and the friends that we have lost, or the dreams that have faded... Never forget them."

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 01:48:34 am »
Stephan. :( I always spell his name wrong ["Steven," "Stephan," they sound the same]. Anyway, I think Paradise is about bipolar disorder - a fluctuation in euphoria and depression. Eventually the person goes into his/her manic stage, reflects upon their life, pretends to be happy, and ultimately commits suicide.  It's just a thought.

To me Paradise is about depression, not necessarily bipolar to me because the happiness is feigned, not an actual manic state, hence "artifcial light"  IT's the only light she has and must cling to it but ultimately the darkness takes hold, always hoping that one day the artificial happiness will become real "a day in which the sun will take her artificial light"  Also how a depressed person wants to be happy and envisions herself being happy but cannot make it happen--lays back to let it happen, but darkness always creeps in.
~Sara~

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 02:36:27 pm »
what about prince and sway? these songs are really hard for me to understand.

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 12:08:27 am »

I think it's just about waiting for someone you're willing and able to run with.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 11:53:42 pm »

to me, most of the songs on this album are either about depression or obsession! LoL.
Prince, Sway, Pretty Baby, Rinse -- they just scream to me about loving someone who doesn't love you back.  Being completely consumed by someone who may not even know the real you.  Or someone who just uses you and you fall for it every time....
Sway - make me high on lullibies - basically false promises.  Things he said he would do, like love you/marry you, all just to get something from you.  Basically how one will say just about anything to get what he wants , "hey, I'll stop the rain for you, you just have to do this for me first..." and we believe.  Every time. But every time the promise is never kept and we are then let down
Price - willing and able to do anything...ANYTHING for the person.  Anything to GET the person or KEEP the person.  Will it come back around to you? Will that person do the same for you?  Then if we stop giving in to this person, stop trying to get him or to keep him, would he even notice?  Would he fight for you? Would he care enough to see you, the real you (can't you see what's been found)

these are just  my interpretations, as this is what they meant to me at a time in my life when I heard them first.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 02:02:08 am by sarab »
~Sara~

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 01:16:27 pm »

Demo Tape
Little Mary - based on the stereotypes surrounding how V is supposed to be this perfect little girl when she states herself that she is far from it.

I think Little Mary has a little more to it than that.  I think it's about hiding a secret self from the rest of the world.  "she had to do what she had to do to keep a perfect little mary"  It's about trying to keep that "image secure" so that no one guesses the secret self she has kept hidden and going to such extremes as suicide to keep that secret. (and in light of her recent coming out as bisexual, it makes sense).  Some people can feel such deep shame at not wanting to dissapoint friends and family and so badly want to be "normal" and "perfect" 
When Mary jumps off that building she takes her secret with her, and no one knows that she really is not a perfect little mary.
~Sara~

Giuliana

• You think you'll be happy if granted one more wish
    • MSN Messenger - giulianacaminotti@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic.chu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • twitter
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 08:39:09 pm »
I've once heard that the song "Prince" was about her belief/disbelief in God, concidering it's one of the very few songs in which she actually talks about it, on the bridge:

"If it all went away
Nothin' left to say
Would you fight it or would you lay down
At the hand of your God could you see the light
Oh, my prince can't you see what's been found"

But the truth is, you'll never need more than this

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 04:46:05 am »
I've once heard that the song "Prince" was about her belief/disbelief in God, concidering it's one of the very few songs in which she actually talks about it, on the bridge:

"If it all went away
Nothin' left to say
Would you fight it or would you lay down
At the hand of your God could you see the light
Oh, my prince can't you see what's been found"

hmm, I can see that , but then again it's only one line. and it could be referring to the prince's god, who she does not believe in.  Yea, I can see that.
~Sara~

ryan9315

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 09:54:47 pm »
In "London", what exactly is she referring to when she says "heavenly creatures"?

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 12:55:15 am »
In "London", what exactly is she referring to when she says "heavenly creatures"?

Heavenly creatures = angels, gods. The like.