Author Topic: Joan Didion - The Year of Magical Thinking  (Read 7043 times)

barefootonbeaches

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Are the echoes coming back to you?
    • View Profile
Joan Didion - The Year of Magical Thinking
« on: January 28, 2011, 09:18:15 pm »
Hey guys, I don't you if you remember, but one time when Vanessa played "Fair-Weather Friends" at a show, she prefaced it with a short blurb about the book The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. It was on one of the live recordings of the song, and after hearing her say it each time I listened to the song, I decided that I should probably look into that book. So, I checked it out from my University's library at the beginning of the quarter and I started reading it. Sadly, my workload became heavier, and I was not able to finish the book. I was wondering if any other Nessaholics read the book after she suggested it. I didn't quite see the elements that V talked about, but that's probably because I failed to finish the book. However, I felt like it was a very well written memoir and I will have to return to it again when I get more time. Do any of you have any thoughts on this book?
I have a really cool The Fray gif that I would like to put here, but I don't know how. :(

WhiteRabbit

• Your true colors shown
  • 'Cause It's All White On White....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Joan Didion - The Year of Magical Thinking
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 12:18:32 am »
I havent read this one though I did think about it after hearing her mention it. I'll try to find it at my library and read it though  ;D

AG.

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 01:34:16 am »
I've read it and now consequently love Joan Didion. I really recommend reading it, because it is a beautifully written, yet simple book, and i can see why V drew inspiration from it.

Also, Slouching Towards Bethlehem is a really good read too.

Amy

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 04:26:59 am »
I've read it but did not get much from it. I read it last year. But I think I've grown since first time I read it, so I'm putting it to my re-read list.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

sabasaba

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:32:02 am »
I've read this. It's pretty intense, and I really liked it. I think the essence of 'magical thinking', as discussed in the book, revolves around the grief and insanity that results from losing a loved one, and, in turn, how it affected the author in her personal life. It touches on many bases of grief, including - but not limited to - self-alienation, disorientation and vulnerability. I think Vanessa merely expanded on the theme based on her personal understanding of the concept, or perhaps even related it to a personal experience?

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
  • Thanks for everything, V
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 07:31:46 pm »
Like others here, I read it about a year ago, I think. Now, I can safely say that I absolutely adore it. Didion did a beautiful/b] job in reflecting on her past, and pushing forward in her present. The details, and the bereavement were shown very intimately, and I liked that. You could see her sincerity, and really grasp the significance of John in her life, while he was alive and after his death. It shows on the book cover, too. The letters "J".. "O"... "H"... and "N" are blue, as the rest are black.

And, V gives such an accurate synopsis at her shows, like she did at the premiere of 'Fairweather Friend.'

LauraH

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 04:39:56 pm »
I heard Laura Bush speak this morning at Earth Day Dallas and she said was talking about how powerful this book was. (: Made my day!
The song may be over, but the music never ends.

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 08:46:17 pm »
I read this too (last summer) I think it might be a re read for me because I was so wrapped up in trying to find V's inspiration from the book that I couldn't take it for what it was.  I too recently read somethign about someone liking this book but I can't for the life of me remember who it was!
~Sara~

LauraH

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 08:49:49 am »
I read this too (last summer) I think it might be a re read for me because I was so wrapped up in trying to find V's inspiration from the book that I couldn't take it for what it was.  I too recently read somethign about someone liking this book but I can't for the life of me remember who it was!

It's too sad for me to finish. It's so well written though.
The song may be over, but the music never ends.

barefootonbeaches

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Are the echoes coming back to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 11:32:39 pm »
Haha, I forgot I started this thread! It's been over a year, and I never got around to finishing it. I don't think I got too far, actually, I stopped probably at about page 60, but I remember, I really loved the imagery/descriptive language and the serene feeling it brought about in me.
I have a really cool The Fray gif that I would like to put here, but I don't know how. :(