Author Topic: V's new label, Razor & Tie??  (Read 14547 times)

craft

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Re: V's new label, Razor & Tie??
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2011, 11:57:16 am »
From what I hear, Irv is really cool. I guess there's a certain image he has to keep up (what with him being the frontman of a major record label), but behind that image he's pretty decent. I remember when he logged on to the official forums all those years ago, just after news had broke that he signed Vanessa, and he seemed pretty excited and even had a small chat with the fans. There were big plans for that album, and from what my friend told me, Vanessa didn't really seem interested in them. Not saying she wanted the album to be a commercial failure, but I mean ... I think Irv and Vanessa had different ideas of what success would be with that album - he wanted her playing at big award shows, scoring hits on the BB charts, etc, etc and she cared more about the critical acclaim and touring.

I think it's good they both realised their BUSINESS relationship wasn't going to work out but their personal friendship remained intact. You hear stories where artists usually leave their label on bad terms and it's all a big mess.

Exactly. Vanessa knows that the money is in touring, and not in going on random award shows (which, admittedly, can lead to more record sales). Irv wanted a star, the next Joni Mitchell or something, and he saw that in Nessa. I think he's too used to dealing with major labels and striving for the NEXT BIG THING, instead of letting Nessa be the artist she is. (Yes, he did refrain from butting in too much, as he knows we Nessaholics would revolt if he made her Britney.) They two just had different visions for where her career was going to go, and Nessa isn't the type to let people tell her who to be.

craft

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2011, 12:16:53 pm »
They use very expensive equipments, producers, also touring & appearance costs are through the roof. Not to mention the music video budgets and fashion choices would no doubt cost millions.

Not to mention the millions of people onboard to write one song. All that money has to be divided up between the three--or four, or nine million--songwriters...if there's anything left once the label, producers, and good old Uncle Sam snatch their share.

mixedanthony

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2011, 09:12:45 pm »
Hmm, yeah I guess it was just his over-the-top attitude that led me to believe he was fake. But, good explanations! If they're still friends, then great! I had heard that story, about her not caring about those big plans..I wonder why, though.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2011, 02:41:29 am »
Well if you remember, there was that two year push Irv was planning for the album and he said to the fans on her board that he had huge plans for her - including a small tour in Europe. In interviews, he imagined her at the Grammy's performing "Home" and stuff. I don't know why Vanessa wasn't enthusiastic, but she's never struck me as someone who cares for all that. I think the most she would like to see is bigger album sales .. and possibly a bigger tour, too. 

mixedanthony

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2011, 07:51:18 am »
Yeah I do remember that, wasn't ever sure when it never happened, though. I would have loved to see it! That album is one of my all time favorites and theres no reason it shouldn't have seen a lot of success. I just believe its due to her.