Author Topic: new biography (Rabbits on the Run interview) from amazon.com  (Read 31602 times)

craft

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Re: new biography (Rabbits on the Run interview) from amazon.com
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 06:39:56 pm »
I think we already got the complete tracklist. It isn't confirmed, but since management got onto us for posting the list when it was leaked, I assume it was real. "The Marching Line" is another one.

This is a very interesting article. I like the analogue thing, but I hope the whole album doesn't sound "cheap," since she said she was going back to her demon days (those songs definitely sounded cheap). And the instrumental for "In the End" is the "Tall Tales For Spring" instrumental slowed down? How ingenious... :)

We share the same concern =\ I hope the Carousel samples are low quality and not the real McCoy, does analog recording sound more tinny than normal recording?

I don't know whether it does or not, but I hope not.  :-\ Like that Doves guy said, no one records on that format anymore. Maybe there's a reason for that.  :-\

lydia

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 06:45:00 pm »
That's a really interesting article.  And I really want to hear In the End now.. that sounds really interesting.  The "Tall Tales for Spring" instrunmental slowed down... hmm.

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 07:00:38 pm »
I think we already got the complete tracklist. It isn't confirmed, but since management got onto us for posting the list when it was leaked, I assume it was real. "The Marching Line" is another one.

This is a very interesting article. I like the analogue thing, but I hope the whole album doesn't sound "cheap," since she said she was going back to her demon days (those songs definitely sounded cheap). And the instrumental for "In the End" is the "Tall Tales For Spring" instrumental slowed down? How ingenious... :)

We share the same concern =\ I hope the Carousel samples are low quality and not the real McCoy, does analog recording sound more tinny than normal recording?

I don't know whether it does or not, but I hope not.  :-\ Like that Doves guy said, no one records on that format anymore. Maybe there's a reason for that.  :-\

I think you get a whole different sound with the analog.  I think that is what she was going for.  I'm not sure she would do something "cheap" but if it sounds that way on the album then there is a creative reason for it.  I trust that it will sound JUST how she wants it to.  So if she wants me to hear it that way, then I embrace that completely.
I was interested about the In the End bit as well.
For me, BNN served it's purpose for me very well at the time.  There are only specific moods that I have to be in for me to go back to it.  I actually skip over ATM, OD, PB (because the version I have now is the new one) not because they are bad or I don't like them, but because they've been defiled by the general public. Lately I have been in that mood because the other two albums are too produced sounding for what I want these days, that is why I am so excited for this album because it seems like it will be really raw and mostly just V and the piano which I long for.  BNN has less percussion and involvement of other instruments not in the string family.
~Sara~

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 07:03:57 pm »
Whoa. There are 20 pages of lyrics for IDWTBAB. That's.... Long. No wonder it came out beautifully.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

remixx

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 07:04:19 pm »
i love that she took her time to make Bride perfect.  it sounds effortless, but the words flow so unbelievably well with each other... can't wait for the studio version.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 07:57:42 pm »
It won't be long now until we get previews for the songs. xD

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 08:11:02 pm »

Really? Do we have any date set for the release of such previews?

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

Manny

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 08:30:16 pm »

Really? Do we have any date set for the release of such previews?

I dont think so! it might be leaked before the Cd is released!!

Nessaholic4Ever

• MSN Messenger - none
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 09:00:17 pm »
So, considering Hear The Bells is described as "ambient and creepy" I think it's pretty safe to say that's the song in the beginning and end of the video on V's website. Also, I'm sooooooooo glad Carousel's the album opener and not London!!! I love London but it would not make a good opener, lol.
I waste the days away
Waiting on a new age
But time betrays me
And I get older one more year

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 10:05:28 pm »

I think you get a whole different sound with the analog.  I think that is what she was going for.  I'm not sure she would do something "cheap" but if it sounds that way on the album then there is a creative reason for it.  I trust that it will sound JUST how she wants it to.  So if she wants me to hear it that way, then I embrace that completely.
I was interested about the In the End bit as well.
For me, BNN served it's purpose for me very well at the time.  There are only specific moods that I have to be in for me to go back to it.  I actually skip over ATM, OD, PB (because the version I have now is the new one) not because they are bad or I don't like them, but because they've been defiled by the general public. Lately I have been in that mood because the other two albums are too produced sounding for what I want these days, that is why I am so excited for this album because it seems like it will be really raw and mostly just V and the piano which I long for.  BNN has less percussion and involvement of other instruments not in the string family.
I KNOW you get a different sound with analog(in this case, it's 2" wide tape) because I've done tons of recording on 2" analog, and mixed down both to 1/2' wide analog tape as well as to digital formats.  The reason that people record to analog tape is that there is a certain warmth there that's missing from Pro Tools and Cubase and Nuendo, etc.  There's also no Autotune, no Beat Detective, no miraculous digital splicing, nothing.  No bullshit.  You can either play well or you can't.  And tape is several times more expensive than hard drives, so if anything digital is cheaper.  In terms of a tinny sound, digital is known more for that than analog.  Long story short, an album is recording, mixing, and mastering, and more often than it ought to, an overzealous engineer will master with a ton of high end and compression and really make an album sound like shite.  That is where "tinny" comes from 9 times out of 10.

So yes, people stay away from analog because it's expensive and much, much less flexible than digital.  AFAIK all of Vanessa's albums were ProTools recordings except for C'est La Vie and Papa, so this will be a departure.  It's exciting.

Dan

Harmonium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 10:33:00 pm »
"The end goal was how it would sound on vinyl”

I bought myself a vinyl player on friday just so I can play Rabbits on it ;) I also have the promo for White Houses on LP and it sounded wonderfull.
I really hope they can ship Rabbits on vinyl to Sweden. Some of the online stores only ship whitin USA :-\

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 11:05:44 pm »
Thanks for all that info Dan, I don't know a thing about recording music!
I too may have to get a vinyl player.  I don't have any of the albums on vinyl but I think I would like to.  It is a completely different sound than cd or cassette.
~Sara~

AG.

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 12:12:54 am »
Wow that is such as beautiful and informative snippet of biography. V is so eloquent. It just makes me even more excited, particularly the In The End with TTFS.

Thanks for the info on the vinyl, i knew nothing about it and that made it all make sense.

craft

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 06:27:55 am »
Thanks for all that info Dan, I don't know a thing about recording music!
I too may have to get a vinyl player.  I don't have any of the albums on vinyl but I think I would like to.  It is a completely different sound than cd or cassette.

Yes, thanks, Dan. I was confused by the analogue thing, and whether it was better than digital or worse. :)

Epit

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 07:51:50 am »
I always anticipating the end track. They always came out better than i expected (Twilight, She Floats (denying The Wreckage as it's the hidden track), More Than This). I had goosebumps listening to More Than This for a whole week.

Can't wait to hear Fortune Teller?(Hear the bell) or whatever it is this song is driving me crazy! In a good way though :)