Author Topic: Dear California  (Read 40863 times)

bumblebee429

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Re: Dear California
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2011, 04:34:08 am »
What is a "grand french exit"?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_did_the_word_french_exit_originate_from

Ah, it makes so much more sense now!

It really seems like a reference to "Practical Magic" - that's exactly what happens in the movie! Belladonna in his drink, and then leave without saying goodbye.

Sarah xx

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2011, 05:00:46 am »
What is a "grand french exit"?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_did_the_word_french_exit_originate_from

Ah, it makes so much more sense now!

It really seems like a reference to "Practical Magic" - that's exactly what happens in the movie! Belladonna in his drink, and then leave without saying goodbye.

Sarah xx

and I don't think they meant to kill him in the movie!  LOVE LOVE that movie.
~Sara~

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2011, 05:24:34 am »
I need to watch that movie! I have never seen it.

I don't think she killed him with the belladonna either. That would definitely be pretty dark and twisted though, lol.

bumblebee429

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2011, 06:22:22 am »
From memory, in the movie doesn't she put belladonna in his tequila to make him go to sleep so she can get away?

That's also the same message I get from the lyrics in Dear California. She slipped him some belladonna (that she crossed town to get), so he wouldn't notice her "grand French exit" (ie. so she could leave unnoticed). I don't think Vanessa's saying she killed him.

Hmm... I think this is too much of a coincidence, and that maybe she is making a reference to the movie.
I hope so, I love the movie :D
Arwen, you definitely need to watch it!

Sarah xx

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2011, 06:54:05 am »

The fact that she was able to mask such a devious and dark action with happiness from the deed with cheery instrumentals is just nothing short of amazing. I never even understood that until that second verse was cleared up. It's official. This is probably now one of my favorites on the album.

Once upon a time when John Mayer first came on the screen, I checked him out because people said he was like DMB, who is my fav band.  In his first album there was a song, I don't even know it because I only listened once, that was cheery music but sad lyrics.  I was like WTF this makes no sense, he's awful, nothing like DMB, and I boycotted him (unfairly? Maybe. But that's the choice I made at the time).  Now, Vanessa does the same thing and it works.  Hypocrite?  Maybe.  But what she does with lyrics and melodies just WORKS.  She sounds amazing.  Her lyrics are clever and witty and it just WORKS. 
~Sara~

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2011, 06:59:30 am »
But as per the tweet the song is a reference to the Doors song "Love her madly"?

Though it would be cute if she referred "Practical Magic" :P Just because she's weirdly occult (or subtly obsessed with it) and all that ;)
"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

SilverIchor

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Who'd hear of brave deeds when he's ashamed of his
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2011, 12:35:02 pm »
Oh, so she didn't kill him?  :-[ I'm not sure why, but that's somewhat of disappointing. Not that I want someone dead, lol, it's just... it would have given the song more of a sinful satisfaction story. I still love the song regardless.

The fact that she was able to mask such a devious and dark action with happiness from the deed with cheery instrumentals is just nothing short of amazing. I never even understood that until that second verse was cleared up. It's official. This is probably now one of my favorites on the album.

Once upon a time when John Mayer first came on the screen, I checked him out because people said he was like DMB, who is my fav band.  In his first album there was a song, I don't even know it because I only listened once, that was cheery music but sad lyrics.  I was like WTF this makes no sense, he's awful, nothing like DMB, and I boycotted him (unfairly? Maybe. But that's the choice I made at the time).  Now, Vanessa does the same thing and it works.  Hypocrite?  Maybe.  But what she does with lyrics and melodies just WORKS.  She sounds amazing.  Her lyrics are clever and witty and it just WORKS. 

Hypocrite? Now, John Mayer is just a horrible musician (In my opinion).
"Sometimes, even strength has to bow down to wisdom" - Rick Riordan

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2011, 11:36:17 am »
Oh, so she didn't kill him?  :-[ I'm not sure why, but that's somewhat of disappointing. Not that I want someone dead, lol, it's just... it would have given the song more of a sinful satisfaction story. I still love the song regardless.

I know we're digressing from the topic at hand, but I HATE John Mayer at times because I can't seem to get the fact out of my head that he once dated Vanessa and she called him the world's worst breaker upper.
(This trivia/digressive rant maybe a work of fiction playing off the top of my head because of the romantic I am or it is actually some ancient trivia stored in the deepest recesses of my brain.)
But I kinda like some of his songs. Though "Waiting for the world to change" gives me real brain fits.
Seriously

Myspace...Add me...

Weisz

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2011, 11:46:38 am »
What? He dated Vanessa? Why didnt i knew this? the hell....one more reason to loathe the dude. maybe i knew and erased the memory from my mind lol
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:52:44 am by Weisz »
It's just me....and a drum. brmbrmbrmbrmbrbbrbrbrmmm

Still stars through a window, will they ever know this madness, madness of the

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2011, 11:50:07 am »

I know we're digressing from the topic at hand, but I HATE John Mayer at times because I can't seem to get the fact out of my head that he once dated Vanessa and she called him the world's worst breaker upper.
(This trivia/digressive rant maybe a work of fiction playing off the top of my head because of the romantic I am or it is actually some ancient trivia stored in the deepest recesses of my brain.)
But I kinda like some of his songs. Though "Waiting for the world to change" gives me real brain fits.
Seriously

sorry to have aimed the subject in that direction! I just thought of myself as a little hypocritical.  There are a few songs I've heard that I don't mind, but all and all, I have no interest to listen further.  Once, my mom and I were driving somewhere (Boston ? I can't remember) and she made me sit through one of his CDs. It wasn't the most awful thing in the world, but, it was for my mama.  I did not know he dated her either. thanks for the trivia info
~Sara~

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2011, 02:47:36 pm »

Seriously

sorry to have aimed the subject in that direction! I just thought of myself as a little hypocritical.  There are a few songs I've heard that I don't mind, but all and all, I have no interest to listen further.  Once, my mom and I were driving somewhere (Boston ? I can't remember) and she made me sit through one of his CDs. It wasn't the most awful thing in the world, but, it was for my mama.  I did not know he dated her either. thanks for the trivia info
Considering John Mayer doesn't write his own songs (as far as I know) I don't think it's hypocritical.

SilverIchor

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Who'd hear of brave deeds when he's ashamed of his
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2011, 03:51:27 pm »
*Jumps on clueless bandwagon* He dated V? Interesting...I guess.

Reminds me of a school project I had to do: We had to theme our project after music, TV, etc. Naturally, I chose ATM because people would be able to follow it, and its V.

One girl did a John Mayer song. One kid comments: "It's nice to know that people still listen to REAL music!"

Me: -_-
"Sometimes, even strength has to bow down to wisdom" - Rick Riordan

lavender skies

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2011, 05:08:51 pm »
Didn't V say that C'est la vie was about John mayer?

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2011, 08:28:18 pm »
Hehe... She did say it meant "FUCK YOU"... right? It makes sense ;-)

BTW, we are discussing a WHOLE NEW topic over here. :P

Myspace...Add me...

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2011, 09:42:00 pm »
Hehe... She did say it meant "FUCK YOU"... right? It makes sense ;-)

BTW, we are discussing a WHOLE NEW topic over here. :P

fuck it. (in the Nashville performance anyway).  ha, sorry for the departure, I was just setting up how I felt about the song with an example :x

Also, for meaning of the songs, she doesn't actually sing that she gave him the belladonna -- she says "as if I gave you some belladonna"  so I"m not sure how that plays the theories..
~Sara~