Author Topic: "Rabbits on the Run" Part 3 07.26.11 It's here!!  (Read 98961 times)

Harmonium

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "Rabbits on the Run" Part 3 07.26.11 It's here!!
« Reply #300 on: August 02, 2011, 12:20:17 pm »
Oh yeah! I'll send him an email now. When he said 8k I was said "seriously?" because I was shocked. But yikes...8k would have been GREAT compared to this.

The rabbits weren't on the run for very long. :(

Let's hope she's like 51. I really thought the Tv promotion would be able to help the sales :(

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #301 on: August 02, 2011, 12:22:15 pm »
I sent him an email and this is what he said:

ME:
Hi mate,

Sorry to bother you again but I don't suppose you'd be able to tell me where Vanessa Carlton ended up charting & how much she sold in total? Don't mean to be a pain but I can't find ANYTHING online. These numbers are a disaster for her. I'm shocked.

Thanks again and have a good day, sir.

HIM:
we don't really take the time to give info below the top 50….. I gave you our best guess…. check with soundscan tomorrow….. and yes, disaster

Harmonium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #302 on: August 02, 2011, 12:26:16 pm »
HIM:
we don't really take the time to give info below the top 50….. I gave you our best guess…. check with soundscan tomorrow….. and yes, disaster

God i'm really depressed right now. I really hope this isn't the end for her as a recording artist.

Martin.

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 02, 2011, 12:28:28 pm »
RELEASE "CALIFORNIA" AND/OR "BRIDE" AND PROMOTE THE SHIT OUT OF THEM.

Harmonium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #304 on: August 02, 2011, 12:30:39 pm »
RELEASE "CALIFORNIA" AND/OR "BRIDE" AND PROMOTE THE SHIT OUT OF THEM.

Yes, she should have done Bride or California on Leno. I'm sure it would have helped, at least a little.
People seem to love bride, they need to listen to that.

remixx

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 02, 2011, 12:43:01 pm »
nobody makes any money from record sales anymore. who cares?

Martin.

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 02, 2011, 12:46:57 pm »

I do - I want another album. If Vanessa isn't making the money back that she invested into the album (AND make a profit) then why the hell would she want to make another album? Plus she's the writer of her songs (and writers get $$$) so she will actually make money from her album sales.

Harmonium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #307 on: August 02, 2011, 12:49:08 pm »

I think that is a very optimistic point of view.
But in real life i think it's kind of important to sell a decent amount of albums.
If people aren't intrestead in paying for the artist album, will they pay for a show?

I don't really now, but i still where hoping for better sales.
But I think this record can get resurrected with a new single, as Martin said.

MVES

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 02, 2011, 12:51:54 pm »
OMFG!!! :(

HDD didn't include all her sales tho, we need to wait for Billboard's chart, but is not going to be a huge difference.

Martin.

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 02, 2011, 12:52:38 pm »
What I will say is that stupid push back didn't help things.

The album leaked how long ago? The label sat back and did nothing.

mikepepsi

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 02, 2011, 02:09:46 pm »
Not top 50 isn't wonderful news from a sales perspective, I doubt the label will be thrilled given that Carlton is one of their more marketable assets. But then again she self funded the production aspect so really they were just doing a and r for a share.

Given that it's a large indie label, their business model will not be solely tied to record sales. Far from it. They'll be looking for artists with rabid fanbases they can exploit at tours and online. We are that fanbase.

Real shame Carlton can't seem to break out of the shackles of A Thousand Miles though. It's like the industry are always looking to her for a repeat of that, I'm very surprised she promoted this record on the platforms she did given her current profile and marketing. I guess Razor and Tie were looking for 10k+ at least.

Martin.

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 02, 2011, 02:20:28 pm »
Was "Carousel" sent to radio?

Lyris

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 02, 2011, 02:35:45 pm »
You know, The Marching Line is really growing on me. Yesterday I had Hear The Bells on loop, but this has suddenly started to leap out at me... it's another of those Vanessa "hopeful but melancholy" sounding songs.

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #313 on: August 02, 2011, 04:09:22 pm »

I do - I want another album. If Vanessa isn't making the money back that she invested into the album (AND make a profit) then why the hell would she want to make another album? Plus she's the writer of her songs (and writers get $$$) so she will actually make money from her album sales.

Respectfully, I think this is an overly simplistic assessment of the situation.  You're assuming that Vanessa only makes another album because she thinks she'll turn a profit doing so.  I would certainly not assume she made ROTR because she thought she would turn a profit - if she was motivated by money, this album would have sounded MUCH different.  I think her career has shown us that is not her primary motivation whatsoever.  How much money she makes this time around will not affect whether she makes a new album.

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #314 on: August 02, 2011, 04:17:24 pm »
To be honest, we all kind of share in the blame for her album not doing so well.  Carousel has been a single for over two months now - how many of us took the time to call our local radio stations several times a week and request it?  How many of us linked to the youtube video on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc, etc?  How many of us played the song for our friends and family on more than one occasion?  I mean, it's easy to sit on a forum and talk about how much we love her, but we need to walk the walk if we want the next single (if there is a next single?) to do well.

Of course, I'm sure most of you have done at least some of those things, as I have, but Lady Gaga (to name one good example) didn't get to be famous by divine intervention: her fans worked their ASSES off to get her music heard back in 2008.  I don't know if any of you know a singer called Utada (she's gigantic in Japan, relatively tiny in the US), but when her English album came out, someone organized radio station call-ins to get them to play her music.  Her single never made it to the Top 40, but it did get into the Top 50.  The point being, to a certain extent it's kind of the fanbase's responsibility to get the music played, just as much as it is the artist's - and fans can only do so much, but we can do something.

Sorry for the random rant, I'm not actually angry/upset or anything, just giving my two cents on the matter since I know a lot of people are kinda bummed about her sales.