Author Topic: "Rabbits on the Run" Part 3 07.26.11 It's here!!  (Read 99104 times)

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
Re: "Rabbits on the Run" Part 3 07.26.11 It's here!!
« Reply #315 on: August 02, 2011, 06:31:46 pm »
nobody makes any money from record sales anymore. who cares?

I do - I want another album. If Vanessa isn't making the money back that she invested into the album (AND make a profit) then why the hell would she want to make another album? Plus she's the writer of her songs (and writers get $$$) so she will actually make money from her album sales.

Respectfully, I think this is an overly simplistic assessment of the situation.  You're assuming that Vanessa only makes another album because she thinks she'll turn a profit doing so.  I would certainly not assume she made ROTR because she thought she would turn a profit - if she was motivated by money, this album would have sounded MUCH different.  I think her career has shown us that is not her primary motivation whatsoever.  How much money she makes this time around will not affect whether she makes a new album.

No, you misunderstood me. Vanessa's CLEARLY not motivated by money. If she was we'd have seen a different second, third and forth album. However, do you honestly think she's going to keep dipping into her bank account & losing money just to make albums no one is buying? Of course not. She's not stupid. I'm not saying album sales are the be all & end all of everything (she'll make money from her tour for one thing), but these first week sales are very worrying.

I also don't think it's fair telling us to share the blame. We're fans, not record label execs who get paid to promote her. Our "job" is to buy the music. We always push the boat out where Vanessa is concerned - the YouTube videos, talking about her on other forums, requesting her single (which I'm sure some have), BUYING the single, album (multiple copies, might I add, Twitter, fansites, etc. There's only so much fans can do.

People seemed happy with the promotion, so I didn't wanna say anything but these online magazine interviews & stuff were not going to cut it. The best promotion she's done for this project happened last week. Did the label push "Carousel"? Nope. Did they REALLY promote the album well? Honestly, no. There have been screw ups after screw ups, right from when the album first leaked, to the push back (which was a really stupid move), to leaving fans in the dark about stuff, etc. It could have been handled way better.

Lyris

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 02, 2011, 06:42:53 pm »
Grrr. I just saw that the iTunes download version has extra acoustic tracks and some behind the scenes video stuff. I can understand them not including the video stuff on the CD (although it was done in the past with Enhanced CD), but why do we lose the acoustic tracks on the CD? It's not like the disc is full.

It's a little puzzling, especially given that Ms. Carlton has been promoting vinyl as the definitive way to hear this. Why punish those of us who like physical media? Do Apple pay the labels off to get extra stuff or something?

Harmonium

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #317 on: August 03, 2011, 03:37:09 am »
Do anyone now where we can see the Soundscan sales numbers?

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #318 on: August 03, 2011, 04:44:35 am »
i think acoustic was recorded after the cd was made but before the delay of the release?
~Sara~

Lyris

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 03, 2011, 06:32:17 am »
Ah, OK. That's an OK explanation I guess. Too bad there's no way to make it available as a free download to those of us who bought the CD. As much as I love her music, I really don't want to pay for a "virtual" album to get the acoustic tracks, which aren't available separately...

mikepepsi

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 03, 2011, 01:03:24 pm »
I resent the implication that its the fans fault of an album doesnt do well.
We are the very people buying the albums, it's not up to a fan to spread word about an artist. It's about that artist and the label getting exposure.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 03, 2011, 02:12:12 pm »
Yeah, I think you guys are being a little rediculous.  It's nobodies fault.  Sure, blame the label but even if this album was being shoved down the masses throats, it doesn't mean that it would be TWENTY TIMES PLATNIUM.  I think Razor and Tie and Vanessa herself know her position and role in the music business.  This is her least commercial album...don't worry about another album yet.  Sure we all V to do well and continue to keep making music...maybe she won't go to London and record her next? Haha.  V is a smart lady and I think you guys are wasting your time discussing sales/ and money issues.
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

sarab

• Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #322 on: August 03, 2011, 06:02:52 pm »
Yeah, I think you guys are being a little rediculous.  It's nobodies fault.  Sure, blame the label but even if this album was being shoved down the masses throats, it doesn't mean that it would be TWENTY TIMES PLATNIUM.  I think Razor and Tie and Vanessa herself know her position and role in the music business.  This is her least commercial album...don't worry about another album yet.  Sure we all V to do well and continue to keep making music...maybe she won't go to London and record her next? Haha.  V is a smart lady and I think you guys are wasting your time discussing sales/ and money issues.

She will make music regardless.  She says it's good for her soul or what not.  So, even if she made music for herself she's still making it.  She will always write and play.  I think even if another official album wasn't realeased, there is always the possability of doing it on her own, maybe not to the scale that she's done this time.  Aren't there poor, beginner bands out there who make CD's even before they have record deals? She could do that even if she wanted.  There are ways.
~Sara~

LauraH

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 03, 2011, 06:39:56 pm »
In the U.S. right now when you search Carousel, Vanessa's is the number one result in songs(:
The song may be over, but the music never ends.

Harmonium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #324 on: August 04, 2011, 05:02:33 am »
Rabbits on the run came in at #62 on Billboard 200.

Martin.

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 04, 2011, 05:05:46 am »
Damn. Do you know how much it sold?

Harmonium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #326 on: August 04, 2011, 05:13:02 am »
Damn. Do you know how much it sold?

Mhm :( No, it dosen't say. I can asume that it's around 6,5-7 k.

It's wierd, cause the album isn't charted on Billboard independent albums... And it should be like #11 on that one.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 05:17:10 am by Harmonium »

Martin.

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 04, 2011, 05:15:31 am »
Okay, thanks!

KULPDOGG

• View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
« Reply #328 on: August 04, 2011, 06:58:48 am »

mikepepsi

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 04, 2011, 02:14:08 pm »
62 means around 6.5k-7k Given Britney Spears at 47 shifted around 8.5k this week.

Not awesome for a start. But about half of Heroes and Theives,