Author Topic: Daily Californian review  (Read 9405 times)

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
Re: Daily Californian review
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 07:57:35 pm »
you know what? two words to this person: fuck you.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:10:21 pm by Fred_Saboya »

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 09:00:02 pm »
I'm rarely one to take negative reviews personally - but this reviewer actually made it personal.  She insulted her looks, for one thing, and called her untalented.  I don't condone that at all.  This is the comment I wrote.  I kind of also want to write to the publisher, because honestly I think she went way overboard with this:

exactly.  It was not much of a musical review.  I think you should write to the publisher.  I'm not sure I could be civil at this point to respond to her.  I too think it's funny how we all react.  I do it too, especially on her facebook page.  People have gone there just to insult her and that's not cool.  I get very defensive of her.  No one fucks with V!
~Sara~

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 09:14:11 pm »
terrible piece, but you should remember that it is a STUDENT newspaper.

not the work career music journalists.
formerly fish_for__stars.

itsthefiveofus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 09:18:07 pm »
The reviewer reviewed it like they were expecting teeny bopper radio friendly pop girl music. Like they expected for her to be the exact same music wise from back in Be Not Nobody. The review was too rushed. They didn't take their time. It was nothing but opinion. You can't say think that you found bad. The point of reviews are to provide constructive criticism based on the music. If it was good say why, if it was bad say why, etc. Don't just say it was amazing or it was horrible. It was just nothing but opinion. Sadly, reviews are like this a lot no a days. I hate that.

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 10:28:47 pm »

that may be, however, it's a college and people who write in college papers are usually serious about journalism (I'm not sure that people go into journalism wanting to write for tabloids) plus, she's the assistant editor of the arts dept.  She should have more class than to try to tear someone apart and like itsthefiveofus said, you can't just say it's bad and not provide constructive criticisms and nothing to back up your claims.  Maybe her aim IS to write for Star or be a field agent for Perez Hilton.
~Sara~

maira

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • AOL Instant Messenger - maira713
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 10:40:57 pm »
omgggggggggg thats such a fucken shame!!!!!!!!! and that's the school that i go to!!!! angry email coming up!!!!!!... this bitch thinks she's the shit... pfft.... this review made me sooooo mad!!!!!  >:(

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 01:49:19 am »
^ throw paint on her. kidding.

it's not a big deal to me. yeah, it's a shitty review but for every one shitty review there's always a thousand fantastic ones where vanessa is concerned.

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 02:36:41 pm »
My comment to her: Golly Jessica, what did Vanessa Carlton ever do to you to make you hate her so? Maybe your first boyfriend called out her name in his sleep, or perhaps something worse!

She's B.I.T.C.H!

LauraH

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 02:52:43 pm »

that may be, however, it's a college and people who write in college papers are usually serious about journalism (I'm not sure that people go into journalism wanting to write for tabloids) plus, she's the assistant editor of the arts dept.  She should have more class than to try to tear someone apart and like itsthefiveofus said, you can't just say it's bad and not provide constructive criticisms and nothing to back up your claims.  Maybe her aim IS to write for Star or be a field agent for Perez Hilton.

I'm writing for my college newspaper and I'm not even interested in journalism...Haha. just sayin'. But yea this girl just wants attention or something.
The song may be over, but the music never ends.

lilwizardman_gelo

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 08:24:58 pm »
Commented it under the pseudonym "Hazel" in ode to Watership Down. I doubt she'll get that cause she obviously has no idea what inspired the album or anything about V on that matter....
Ugh this pisses me off
~Our minds hold the chaos that started everything~

fizzybubblespop

• Make me high on lullabies
  • http://i.imgur.com/saOJMlL.png
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 10:02:53 am »
I'm not even sure what to say to this... But, wow. It's like they went into listening with an opinion already formed. I know it's just a college paper, but still: very unprofessional.

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2011, 10:47:34 am »

I resent that - students aren't excused from journalistic standards just because they're students.  I've been a student journalist since 2005 and I would never write this drivel (or let it be published when I was an editor, for that matter).

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2011, 10:57:40 am »
i am not being condescending towards student journalism. i've also written and edited for student publications, and i know that, like in mainstream publications, some student pieces are stellar and valid and some are not. and yes, this piece is not.

just wanted to temper the discussion, especially when people are bringing up the writer's credentials. it would be lovely if all publications adhered to journalistic standards, but in my experience, school newspapers are often training grounds... places to learn and acquire experience.

[edit] i also think personal attacks against the writer, even in here in the nessaholics forum, is unmerited, especially if we're calling her out for personal attacks against vanessa carlton. we can criticize her piece, deem it biased, ill-informed, and poorly-written... but as she shouldn't have made it personal, we shouldn't make it personal.

i apologize, though, because it did seem like i was demeaning student journalism. i think i meant that it merits a different response; i personally expect different things from a student than from a professional. i would be harder on professional mistakes.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 11:05:30 am by fish_for__stars »
formerly fish_for__stars.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2011, 01:51:00 pm »
i am not being condescending towards student journalism. i've also written and edited for student publications, and i know that, like in mainstream publications, some student pieces are stellar and valid and some are not. and yes, this piece is not.

just wanted to temper the discussion, especially when people are bringing up the writer's credentials. it would be lovely if all publications adhered to journalistic standards, but in my experience, school newspapers are often training grounds... places to learn and acquire experience.

[edit] i also think personal attacks against the writer, even in here in the nessaholics forum, is unmerited, especially if we're calling her out for personal attacks against vanessa carlton. we can criticize her piece, deem it biased, ill-informed, and poorly-written... but as she shouldn't have made it personal, we shouldn't make it personal.

i apologize, though, because it did seem like i was demeaning student journalism. i think i meant that it merits a different response; i personally expect different things from a student than from a professional. i would be harder on professional mistakes.

I agree. Name calling isn't the best, but I understand why people reacted that way.  I just called her incompetent :) 
However, we bring up her credentials because she's an EDITOR.  If I'm not mistaken, editors hold some clout of sorts and should be held to a higher standard than a staff writer. 
~Sara~