Author Topic: Boston.com review of Rabbits on the Run  (Read 2370 times)

sabasaba

Boston.com review of Rabbits on the Run
« on: July 25, 2011, 07:09:30 pm »
With “A Thousand Miles’’ and its licensing fees likely paying her bills ever since she was too young to drink in the piano bars she used to play, Vanessa Carlton can afford to take her sweet time between albums. Her progress as a recording artist has often seemed slow as a result, but “Rabbits on the Run,’’ her fourth full-length album and first since 2007, sees her finally moving away from the shiny pop production and lit-mag smartypantsery that marked her previous work. Carlton’s piano playing finds a comfortable pocket, and there’s refreshingly little of the overworked poesy that was once her calling card. Free of the need to prove what a clever young woman she is, she’s finally within reach of the warm adult pop she’s always aspired to, especially on the soothing embrace of “Get Good.’’ Unfortunately, it turns out that those now-shelved annoyances provided Carlton with an identity; forging ahead without them, the singer slips into semi-orchestral tedium (“London,’’ “Fairweather Friend’’) and self-conscious haziness (“Hear the Bells,’’ “In the End’’). Carlton’s wheels are finally spinning forward, but they don’t gain much traction. (Out tomorrow)
-MARC HIRSH

ESSENTIAL: “Get Good’’

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/cd_reviews/articles/2011/07/25/vanessa_carlton_rabbits_on_the_run/

Byoungforever

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
  • All I hear is the music....
    • View Profile
Re: Boston.com review of Rabbits on the Run
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 07:17:24 pm »
YES!!!!! Finally someone who likes Get Good too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
All I hear is the music.... and beauty stands... before me... and love comes back... around again, it's a carousel my friend.... :)

ordinaryday6

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ordinaryday6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 10:34:57 pm »
that's all you got out of that review? that was one step away from trashing her entirely.
Samuel
(he/him)

lilwizardman_gelo

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 10:46:16 pm »
Well atleast they trashed her more eloquently then that Daily Californian bitch....
~Our minds hold the chaos that started everything~

nessaddict21

• Make me high on lullabies
  • I'm looking for wisdom in all the wrong places;
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 04:16:59 am »
that's all you got out of that review? that was one step away from trashing her entirely.

lol so true

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 06:06:30 am »
I was actually expecting a positive review from Boston.com, so I'm a bit surprised.  I can certainly see why they like Get Good if they don't like the other songs, though - I feel like it's sort of in between the new sound and the old.