Author Topic: October 4, 2011, Buffalo, NY, Town Ballroom (review)  (Read 3976 times)

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
October 4, 2011, Buffalo, NY, Town Ballroom (review)
« on: October 04, 2011, 07:42:36 pm »
Vanessa was ON tonight!  The crowd wasn't too bad, I haven't listened to the recordings from the other shows (as to re-virginize myself to Vanessa music) to compare to, but definitely better than the concert back in feb at the college.  When I arrived I was able to get second row (standing) to the left of the stage, but I asked a girl if I could be in front while Vanessa played and then I would be leaving.  She was okay with that and we got to talking.  Her and her friends were really nice.  SO it's the first time I got front row.  During Carousel I put my flip in my cleavage so I could clap, lol so the video is not that great.  I was also the only one who clapped but the girl next to me looked at me and smiled--come to find out, she was there just for V too.  Another girl behind me said, "have you seen her before?" when I clapped.  I just laughed and say, uh yeah.  Anyway, Skye was with her and here's the set list:

Carousel (with intro)
Tall Tales for Spring
Fair weather Friend
White Houses (on rhodes)
Marching Line
A Thousand Miles (supposed to have been on the rhodes)
I don't want to be a Bride

I was sooooo bummed she didn't play Hear the Bells.  I've been waiting for this concert to hear it live!!  I do love Marching line so at least it was  new song she played and not an older one.  After the show she did do her "night shop" but was sold out of the chocolate (sooo bummed again!) and vinyls (thankfully I have one).  I don't know if this was the case at other venues but they wouldn't allow pictures and were really hurrying everyone up (she had to be done by the time Matt went on). There was a lot I wanted to say to her but with nerves and being rushed all I did was get an autograph (on the pic of us from NYC in the summer; I wanted it on a different pic but there was a story behind why and I didn't feel I had the time) and I gave her a little figure of a dashound dog (which she thought was really cute).  The girls ahead of me in line had AWESOME t-shirts that they made that said NESSAholics on the top and then drawings like the rabbits on the album.  Apparently they had a friend who could replicate it really well.  They aren't actually members here, so if you're reading this girls, PLEASE join and share the pic you got because it was super cute.  Vanessa loved the shirts and asked if she had time for a pic with them.  I'm pretty sure someone took a pic for her with her own camera as well as for the girls.  That was pretty cool for them!

As a side note, I really didn't like this venue.  I had emailed them last week to ask what their recording policy was and they said it's up to the artist.  As I was waiting in line a woman went by and said "no cameras" so I hid my flip in my bra so I could record.  Now, I'm pretty sure Vanessa doesn't care, and other people have been recording at Matt's shows all this tour, so this venue just out right lied to me.  They also didn't allow pens or markers because of grafitti problems.  Then the guy managing the line was just rude and douchey.  If I hadn't been rushed, I think I would have bought the music book and asked for Skye to sign something but I was just so annoyed with those people!  
All in all though, it was worth being able to shake Vanessa's hand.  I told her it was nice to see her and took off.  I think nerves got the best of me too.  each time it's easier though, so maybe next time I will talk to her more.  I will try getting my videos up onto you tube by tomorrow.

addition : also, the show was supposed to start at 730, she didn't get on until 830 (possibly later)  i don't know if that's her (the girl behind me said it's the artists that determine when the show starts) but she usually doesn't start that late! maybe 15min or so.  I'd like to think it's the venue.  But I was afraid people were going to get unruly and be mean when she came on because it took so long for her to start.  Even I was getting restless, so I can see how fans of Matt would get restless and want to talk through Vanessa's entire set when she goes on an hour late.  but again, I like to think it's the venue's fault, not hers.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 07:47:54 pm by sarab »
~Sara~

pswik91

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Re: October 4, 2011, Buffalo, NY, Town Ballroom (review)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 08:36:30 pm »
I don't know if this has anythig to do with it but her twitter she said she was locked out of the venue with victor haha. It was like knocking on a metal door with my wolf ring I think? Maybe... I'm paraphrasing.

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:17:17 pm »
Thank you for your review, sarab. It's funny to think of people as NESSAholics who aren't members of this community (not in a bad way) but then I remember how they even used that on a t-shirt. I'm also not surprised the girls in the shirts got to take a photo. 

Not sure what happened with the delay. She was right on time her whole last tour to the minute. I doubt it was the locked out thing cause she could easily walk around. Ha.

It does suck when a show ticket says one thing and then it's much later, especially when it's standing GA.

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 04:02:27 am »
In DC she started at 8:30, too.  I definitely got to take a picture with her (as did everyone else who wanted one), in fact the venue had a whole system to streamline the process.  Hopefully you'll get to see her again and spend more time with her!  I think I had about a minute or so with her cuz I kept gushing haha.  She really is incredibly sweet.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 06:48:49 am »
the lockout happened after the show (which I walked right past that area to get to my car and if I wanted to be a stalker I could have waited there until she came out, lol) luckily the area was very well lit and not some dank back alley with dumpsters and the such. 

I thought it was a bit strange myself that the girls were wearing t shirts and not actual members.  she said she reads the boards so I'm hoping she'll join, I told her to especially because the t-shirts are great and they should be mass produced!  I felt some what like an idiot because I was like, oh I'm sarab and shook her hand waiting for her to give me her name on here (which I can't even remember her name haha, sorry!)

I was thinking of going to the Toronto show tomorrow (someone had said Matt is playing in Rochester tonight which is 30 min away but even if he is, Vanessa isn't playing with him) but I'm not sure I'm going to make it.  If not, I'm going to the Utica show on the 24th which I think is her own show so that will be even better! (and there will be nessaholics to talk to, well at least one).
~Sara~

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 04:53:00 am »
I forgot to mention that the reason she didn't play ATM on the rhodes was because it didn't work when she went back over to it!  I had wanted to post the videos but I did not get a chance yesterday, I will try today
~Sara~

pswik91

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 07:19:52 am »
That's funny because at the Pittsburgh show, she had issues with the keyboard not working but the Rhodes did. So, songs that she wanted to play on the piano she either ended up starting off or finishing on the rhodes.  Still beautiful though.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 09:07:55 am »
I'm having some technical difficulties uploading the videos, so hopefully sometime today or tomorrow I can get it figured out!
~Sara~

Onyx

• Let's make this our story
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 02:56:52 pm »
I was thinking about making my own t-shirt, the problem is, what I want to write on it is so cheesy!! I might as well write it in spray cheese! Ughghg  :-\

Oh well, I can always wear something over it.  :P
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 03:31:01 pm by Onyx »

barefootonbeaches

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Are the echoes coming back to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 06:32:23 pm »
Onyx, what do you want to write on the shirt?? I'm very curious!  :) Cheesy isn't always necessarily a bad thing.
I have a really cool The Fray gif that I would like to put here, but I don't know how. :(

Onyx

• Let's make this our story
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 07:04:03 pm »
Onyx, what do you want to write on the shirt?? I'm very curious!  :) Cheesy isn't always necessarily a bad thing.
Ok, i'll tell you.  (Don't laugh  ;)) The shirt is black with white writing.

On the front it says: "The Rabbits On The Run are running into your heart."

On the back it says: "Where they will stay forever." (heart symbol) Below that I put "ROTR 7-26-11 -(Then the symbol for infinity)

Then on the very bottom it says: "NESSAholic #1,439 (I think thats the number user I am  :P)

I already made the shirt... I guess I could have just shown you a picture.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 07:06:24 pm by Onyx »

Manny

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 07:13:11 pm »
Onyx, what do you want to write on the shirt?? I'm very curious!  :) Cheesy isn't always necessarily a bad thing.

On the back it says: "Where they will stay forever." (heart symbol) Below that I put "ROTR 7-26-11 -(Then the symbol for infinity)

Then on the very bottom it says: "NESSAholic #1,439 (I think thats the number user I am  :P)

Sounds very cool! :)

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
  • Thanks for everything, V
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 08:03:38 pm »

Sounds very individualistic (and unique!), Onyx!  :D Take a pic and show us later, yeah?