Author Topic: Help With Essay  (Read 7604 times)

LauraH

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Help With Essay
« on: September 28, 2011, 08:33:59 am »
Does anyone know where I can find the interview from the Harmonium era where Vanessa actually said that she wasn't receiving enough promotion?

I am writing an article in my English class about discourse communites and I decided to write about the Nessaholics forum. And so now I am looking for sources. Haha.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps (:

edit:If anyone just has a list of all the interviews/promotion stuff from the Harmonium era, that would be a lot of help.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:36:08 am by LauraH »
The song may be over, but the music never ends.

fizzybubblespop

• Make me high on lullabies
  • http://i.imgur.com/saOJMlL.png
    • View Profile
Re: Help With Essay
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 09:24:13 am »
You know... I remember reading something recently (I'm not sure if V herself said it) but it was part of an interview (I think?) talking about how many stations were afraid to promote 'White Houses'. I'm sure it was from something recently... in the last month perhaps.

I can't remember what it was though. I'll try to find it, but if I can't, maybe that rings a bell?

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 09:27:41 am »
I dunno about an interview, but here's a post from 2005 that she made if that helps?

so i think it's about time that i address a few issues that are screaming for attention.
a) unfortunately, there will be no second single on this album. there are a handful of people at my label that do not see how great the album would do if it was promoted. yes, there are shortsighted (nonmusical bastards) and it sucks, but that's the way it goes. welcome to the music biz.
2!) i worked my ass off promoting harmonium in the ways that i could control, but you can't sell records to someone in the middle of indiana without a little help. (i like indiana).
c)the people (you) that have supported this record and love it are my true and ultimate fanbase. don't worrry i will continue churning out the goods no matter how big or small the albums are.
4) i'm writing some killer songs for my 3rd album (most people will know it as my second!). and feel that i am about to FINALLY settle down with a group of people that "get" what kind of artist i am. (yes, there will be a lot of changes going on.) no i am not a pop princess (current label doesn't realzie this important tidbit). though i know that everyone reading this knows that, the rest of the world should and will figure it out at some point as well.
8) i had a blast on tour (which i never do), and i can't wait to get back on the road. look for an album in early next year (yes, it will probably get pushed back : )
big kiss
v

http://forum.nessaholics.com/index.php?topic=8149.0

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
  • Thanks for everything, V
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:57:30 am »
First of all, that's so cool how you're writing about the forum (and Vanessa!)..

As for the interview, I'll keep an eye out. Good luck in the meantime!

fizzybubblespop

• Make me high on lullabies
  • http://i.imgur.com/saOJMlL.png
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 10:13:44 am »
Okay, so it wasn't recently, but I found what I was talking about.

Slant Magazine:You're not an overtly sexual artist, but sexual-political themes seem to pop up in many of the articles written about you and I think it's because you approach sexuality in a very open and honest way that resonates with your fans. Do you think the general public is resistant to that approach or is it simply a lack of ingenuity on the part of the industry?

Vanessa Carlton:It's weird. When you really approach things in a very honest way, in a stark way, it gets under people's skin. It literally…penetrates—oh my god, what a horrible pun [laughs]. It hits a chord in you more than if you sing about being slutty. You know, like the Kelis song "Milkshake." I love that song and I like her, but it's so obvious. So when you do have these subtle lyrics or you're approaching it in much more of a poetic—but stark—way, you have more of an emotional response and it makes people uncomfortable.

Slant Magazine:Right. It's apparently kosher for Justin Timberlake to tell a girl to come "sit" on him [as he does on 50 Cent's "Ayo Technology"] but it's not okay for a young woman to sing about losing her virginity.

Vanessa Carlton:It's infuriating, right?

Slant Magazine:Yeah, it is. Do you think sexism was a factor in MTV's decision to ban the video for "White Houses" due to its lyrics?

Vanessa Carlton: [Sighs] Yeah, it's just so hypocritical. I mean, I could write a long essay about it. They want to sell their version of sex. It's desensitizing. I just don't get it.

It's from the interview you can find here: http://forum.nessaholics.com/index.php?topic=10982.0

LauraH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 07:20:40 pm »
Thanks to all of you(: If you find anything else let me know(:

LauraH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 08:51:06 pm »
I posted my essay as an attachment.  Let me know if you can see it! (:
And also let me know what you think(:

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 09:48:07 pm »
Wow, Laura. You got some writing chops  :D I enjoyed reading it. And, I didn't know that Vanessa made her own account! That's amazing! I know I'm probably a little late with this, but that's definitely one thing I learned from your paper  ;D

LauraH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 07:45:46 pm »
Wow, Laura. You got some writing chops  :D I enjoyed reading it. And, I didn't know that Vanessa made her own account! That's amazing! I know I'm probably a little late with this, but that's definitely one thing I learned from your paper  ;D

thanks(: i write for my school's newspaper and I'm an English major so...I write all the time. Haha
And I think she made her own account...She has a bunch of posts back from when she first started in like 2002?

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 12:04:39 am »
wow.  I'm going back and reading all of vanessa's posts... I wish she would still post like that.  That must have been amazing for all you original nessaholics.
~Sara~

LauraH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 07:41:52 pm »
Yea, but I think that was something her label wanted her to do.

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 09:00:03 pm »
did you submit your essay ?
~Sara~

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 11:19:13 am »

That's what I was thinking.. but there's a part of me that feels like she occasionally checks in here just to see what we're chatting about  ::) I like to believe so.

LauraH

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 09:25:45 am »

That's what I was thinking.. but there's a part of me that feels like she occasionally checks in here just to see what we're chatting about  ::) I like to believe so.

Me tooooo(: