Author Topic: Vanessa's inspiration and us...  (Read 15570 times)

Torey

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Vanessa's inspiration and us...
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2012, 09:51:41 pm »
I'm reading WD. But did anyone else find this book really dry? Honestly, I feel as if I don't know what the heck these rabbits are talking about half the time. And the descriptions! Those might be worse than the actual rabbit-speak. I'm trying to push through it, but I don't know; twelve chapters in and I'm bored out of my mind. Though I'll admit there's a couple quotes here or there or a chapter or two that's enjoyable enough.

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2012, 05:41:04 am »
I'm reading WD. But did anyone else find this book really dry? Honestly, I feel as if I don't know what the heck these rabbits are talking about half the time. And the descriptions! Those might be worse than the actual rabbit-speak. I'm trying to push through it, but I don't know; twelve chapters in and I'm bored out of my mind. Though I'll admit there's a couple quotes here or there or a chapter or two that's enjoyable enough.

wow, I did not feel that it was dry at all!  I was entranced, I wanted to find out what they were going to do next.  The language was a bit hard to muddle through, hard to figure what they were talking about sometimes, but there is a glossary of terms that may help (either in the back or front of the book I can't remember)
~Sara~

LauraH

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2012, 11:09:42 am »

wow, I did not feel that it was dry at all!  I was entranced, I wanted to find out what they were going to do next.  The language was a bit hard to muddle through, hard to figure what they were talking about sometimes, but there is a glossary of terms that may help (either in the back or front of the book I can't remember)

It's probably just the way it's written. It's a very old book, a classic. I haven't tried reading it yet.
The song may be over, but the music never ends.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2012, 12:27:04 pm »

It's probably just the way it's written. It's a very old book, a classic. I haven't tried reading it yet.

I disagree.  He writes very clearly when writing in plain English, he just makes up his own language so it's hard to follow sometimes.  If you think WD is hard, try reading Maia, another one of his books.  It's near impossible to understand and follow.  Worse than The Scarlet Letter!  Not only that but it takes awhile for the action to pick up and quite frankly, I'm on page 415 waiting for the action to pick up.  I actually had put it down for months and just picked it back up (and I can barely remember what was going on).  But I want to finish it just to say I read it.
~Sara~

LauraH

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2012, 12:49:53 pm »

I disagree.  He writes very clearly when writing in plain English, he just makes up his own language so it's hard to follow sometimes.  If you think WD is hard, try reading Maia, another one of his books.  It's near impossible to understand and follow.  Worse than The Scarlet Letter!  Not only that but it takes awhile for the action to pick up and quite frankly, I'm on page 415 waiting for the action to pick up.  I actually had put it down for months and just picked it back up (and I can barely remember what was going on).  But I want to finish it just to say I read it.

Makes up his own language? I must check this out. Out of curiosity though, how many of you read a lot? Is English your first language? I promise I'm not trying to put anyone down, but if English isn't your first language, reading his books will be difficult. It just takes practice. (: You can always use sparknotes as a guide to help you understand whats going on. I do that quite often.
The song may be over, but the music never ends.

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2012, 11:27:14 pm »
I forgot to post this a long time ago. http://www.mediafire.com/?dugwzxwmawq

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2012, 04:17:33 am »

Makes up his own language? I must check this out. Out of curiosity though, how many of you read a lot? Is English your first language? I promise I'm not trying to put anyone down, but if English isn't your first language, reading his books will be difficult. It just takes practice. (: You can always use sparknotes as a guide to help you understand whats going on. I do that quite often.

yes, the rabbits have their own language.  Silfay means to eat, for example.  That's the only word I can remember how to spell.  In Maia it's ten times worse, there is a made up word in every sentence and no glossary like in WD.
~Sara~