Author Topic: Operator Lyrics  (Read 15213 times)

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Operator Lyrics
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 04:03:37 pm »
I dunno. I think what throws me off the most is her use of the expression "Moneymaker". It kind of reminds me of 'Fair Weather Friend' which I think is about Stephan and how he cheated on her but there is this vibe I get from FWF that she felt that Stephan was "using" her for her fame. It's in the "but you do it for the fame" line and in the basic expression "Fair Weather Friend" and she uses this expression of Moneymaker which reminds me of the same vibe.

The idea that the song is about eloping is interesting but why moneymaker? Why? And more importantly... Why 'Operator'?

maybe is a more positive spin as far as the money maker goes.. meaning that they are better together and can reach their greater potential as a couple than apart.  the symbiotic relationship of her the other person's money maker but then the other benefits : "i could be your song" (I hear that not , "you could be my song")
Edit: I actually do hear "you" not I. Whoops. But it still seems like a symbiotic relation with that lyric to me

the part that I don't get about the songs is the stuff about the little brother.  it seems like it's just thrown in there, and I don't see how it fits to the over all meaning/feeling of the song
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:05:39 pm by sarab »
~Sara~

afterglow987

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 09:30:59 pm »
The more I listen to this song I get the feeling that it is more about a job/career choice? So this is my take on the song.

In the first verse I feel like she is expressing what she could become independent and wealthy. She could become successful and become happy, make a lot of money and maybe use some of that money for a greater cause to help others. "Guns aren't just for boys" is a powerful statement that girls are equal to boys.

In the second verse, she understands that success is in her sights and thinks it is exciting and bold so she decides to go for it.

In the next verse I think she is gathering the courage to leave everything she knows behind in order to pursue something that will make a lot of money.

In the chorus I think she means she is always busy and on the move and searching for her own place in the world. I know when I was a kid I thought of my parents home as a house and one day I would find my own home.

In the verse with the "call your little brother" I believe this is the price of being wealthy and too busy. It is one of the cons that can drive a wedge between your family when you become too busy. Then in the chorus she says cold instead of bold so I think that it is getting harder for her to find meaningful relationships because they all want a piece of her money. So she continues her search for her home.

In the last verse she is a moneymaker which is great because she is strong and powerful but she is still searching for her home and people to trust and build a relationship.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:58:53 pm by afterglow987 »

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 09:07:53 pm »
The more I listen to this song I get the feeling that it is more about a job/career choice? So this is my take on the song.

In the first verse I feel like she is expressing what she could become independent and wealthy. She could become successful and become happy, make a lot of money and maybe use some of that money for a greater cause to help others. "Guns aren't just for boys" is a powerful statement that girls are equal to boys.

In the second verse, she understands that success is in her sights and thinks it is exciting and bold so she decides to go for it.

In the next verse I think she is gathering the courage to leave everything she knows behind in order to pursue something that will make a lot of money.

In the chorus I think she means she is always busy and on the move and searching for her own place in the world. I know when I was a kid I thought of my parents home as a house and one day I would find my own home.

In the verse with the "call your little brother" I believe this is the price of being wealthy and too busy. It is one of the cons that can drive a wedge between your family when you become too busy. Then in the chorus she says cold instead of bold so I think that it is getting harder for her to find meaningful relationships because they all want a piece of her money. So she continues her search for her home.

In the last verse she is a moneymaker which is great because she is strong and powerful but she is still searching for her home and people to trust and build a relationship.

I LOVE this interpretation. The "cold" part could be I reference to what a record company might say to her? They can be quite cold and uncaring. It definitely makes more sense with the brother verse. Nice job
~Sara~

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 06:20:28 am »
i actually think its about leaving everything behind and daring to run away with someone ("worry bout the others later"). i think on the little brother verse she is literally telling the guy to call his brother and say goodbye, "be good, i love you" and stuff. she is like a manipulative woman who told a guy into running away with her and leaving everything behind but she still cares and want him to do the right thing before he leaves.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:30:52 pm by Fred_Saboya »

KULPDOGG

• View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 08:48:48 am »
i actually think its about leaving everything behind and daring to run away with someone ("worry bout the others later"). i think on the littler brother verse she is literally telling the guy to call her brother and say goodbye, "be good, i love you" and stuff. she is like a manipulative woman who told a guy into running away with her and leaving everything behind but she still cares and want him to do the right thing before he leaves.

or the other way around.

my take was kind of uhhh, i don't want to be mean, but this IS an "emo" song, as Vanessa said...
I think this song is Vanessa going to an extreme, ....it doesn't have to be literal, like I don't think she actually means it..
but figuratively I guess...
anyway, it's just a story, right?

This is a guy coming into this particular female's life and well... getting her pregnant and wanting to run away with her.
she could be this guy's escape or... key to success...the answer to all his problems
or she feels like in some way he's trying to do this
he wants to get hitched, married.... run away with her.. shocking news.
tell your family, you should just accept this life with me and change your bad habits and make peace--make good with everyone in your life.
this baby is the answer, this new life with me will be the greatest thing ever.
it's the guy trying to convince her to leave her old life and join forces with him.
we can make money off of our life experiences in the form of songs, because we are musicians.
in other words, this whole song is the female feeling invaded and completely defeated, though it is a good thing,
this story lives in the moment where she has doubts and fears of a new life.
---or just that pivotal moment where they decide as a couple, to actually just do it and realize that it actually is best.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 03:46:30 pm »
i actually think its about leaving everything behind and daring to run away with someone ("worry bout the others later"). i think on the littler brother verse she is literally telling the guy to call her brother and say goodbye, "be good, i love you" and stuff. she is like a manipulative woman who told a guy into running away with her and leaving everything behind but she still cares and want him to do the right thing before he leaves.

or the other way around.

my take was kind of uhhh, i don't want to be mean, but this IS an "emo" song, as Vanessa said...
I think this song is Vanessa going to an extreme, ....it doesn't have to be literal, like I don't think she actually means it..
but figuratively I guess...
anyway, it's just a story, right?

This is a guy coming into this particular female's life and well... getting her pregnant and wanting to run away with her.
she could be this guy's escape or... key to success...the answer to all his problems
or she feels like in some way he's trying to do this
he wants to get hitched, married.... run away with her.. shocking news.
tell your family, you should just accept this life with me and change your bad habits and make peace--make good with everyone in your life.
this baby is the answer, this new life with me will be the greatest thing ever.
it's the guy trying to convince her to leave her old life and join forces with him.
we can make money off of our life experiences in the form of songs, because we are musicians.
in other words, this whole song is the female feeling invaded and completely defeated, though it is a good thing,
this story lives in the moment where she has doubts and fears of a new life.
---or just that pivotal moment where they decide as a couple, to actually just do it and realize that it actually is best.

interesting.. and almost biographical.. I mean, she did say she didn't want to be bride and here she is married with a baby!  but i'm sure it didn't go down like that (your interpretation) for them. and she said this album wasn't as personal to her in that it wasn't based on her life.
~Sara~

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 04:10:33 pm »
it's not about her, i mean she's not the woman she's talking about in the song and john is not the guy in the song. she always liked to play different characters in her songs.

lavender skies

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 06:15:22 pm »
I don't know why I feel like Liberman has Stephen Jenkins written all over it. I'm sure it's because he's really the only public relationship she's ever had, but knowing a lot of Heroes and Thieves and Fairweather Friend was about him, some of these songs remind me. Like Blue Pool, NWSUTB, and now this. Just like a deep retrospective album of a past relationship. It's probably about many different people (real and not) but I keep going back to Jenkins.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 09:33:30 am »
it's not about her, i mean she's not the woman she's talking about in the song and john is not the guy in the song. she always liked to play different characters in her songs.

that's basically what I said, but that with kulp's interpretation, the surface is what happened to her (married, baby, house, car, after not wanting it all, or at least thinking she didn't want it.)
~Sara~