Author Topic: 10/12/13 Center for the Arts Natick (review)  (Read 4495 times)

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
10/12/13 Center for the Arts Natick (review)
« on: October 12, 2013, 07:37:46 pm »
So I'll start from the top!
I arrived pretty early... first one, at around 630.  parking SUCKS for this venue.  There were metered spots all along but I wasn't sure if they'd be monitoring them and they were only 2 hour spots.   So I drove around a little bit and found a parking lot with clear rules on when you can park there, wheras the meters said only sundays were free. 
After I parked I walked a short way to the venue and heard her warming up.  It was a new song I didn't recognize (as I haven't listened to any new stuff).  BUT I had to go to the bathroom and the venue had it's doors locked.  The flyer out front said doors opened at 730 but luckily they opened at 7.  So instead of sticking around I had to find a bathroom, when I came back I was still the only one there and Patrick began to do sound check/warm up shortly after.  They opened doors at 7 since most people had tickets at will call.  Then they couldn't find me!!  Turns out the pre sale people were on a separate list and a separate pile of tickets.  The people were really nice, and all volunteers, so some of them were there for the first time.  So sorry, it was me who held up the line there for a moment!  While we were waiting to be let in, skye had come out and he smiled and said hi to me (love him, so nice!) They started letting us into sit at 730 and they had a concession stand which was nice because I hadn't had dinner.
Patrick went on and he played a handful of songs.  I would describe him as southern blues.  Very cool.  If I have any money left at the end of this trip I will most likely buy his CD.  Skye played a song with him, and it sounded pretty sweet.
The venue was quite intimate, and even though i was all the way in the back I still felt pretty close.  However, I didn't have a good vantage point for my camera unless I held it up by my face, which I was not willing to do so I have good audio but mostly actual video of Skye Steele or nothing.
And now what you all came here for.... set list:

Carousel - Learning to Fly intro
Hands on Me
Nolita Fairytale
House of 7 Swords
Take it Easy
Willows
White Houses
Get Good (with the omnichord (interesting))
Unlock the Lock (first time played live!!)
Who's to Say
Bride (with Patrick Sweany on guitar)
Hear the Bells

Encore
ATM
Home

she sounded AMAZING per usual though maybe a little hoarse or getting sick, as pregnancy can do.  Pregnancy/hormones can also change the pitch of a woman's voice, and she even said she was having trouble hitting the higher notes.  She also said she forgot the intro to White Houses, which can also be attributed to pregnancy --women can get forgetful, it's called "pregnancy brain"!

I'm pretty sure I saw her mother, as a woman came out of the door the artists were coming out of, and then later she was looking around at the pictures on the walls.  She had the same face shape as Vanessa, but it's been awhile since I've seen a picture of her mom, so I wasn't sure.  Plus, I'm not one to just randomly go up to people and start a conversation.

she did say she was going to meet people after but I didn't stay (it's past my bedtime already!)  I was able to get one of the flyers they had, but the tape is on the front because it was on the door, and they had programs of which I grabbed a few extra.

There were lithographs, vinyls, cds, and the tshirts for sale.  Oh, and the guy selling them was a little rude to the venue staff.  They were just trying to help and he got a little sassy with them (it was a man and his daughter).  He was like, no i don't need you.  Then a few moments later told them they could sit there while he was doing whatever until 730 to make sure no one got into the stuff.  He was just a little snippy and rolled his eyes at them.

It will probably be awhile before I get any audio available as I will be traveling early morning tomorrow and then I will be a tourist in NYC for three days (without my lap top, only my kindle), then traveling back to my sisters (who is having a baby!), then traveling back home overnight. If I get some down time Thursday I will try but no promises.  patience!
~Sara~

Emmyspiano

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EmilyRMiller89
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/imaginationplayground
    • Email
Re: 10/12/13 Center for the Arts Natick (review)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 06:32:37 am »
How did "Unlock the Lock" sound?
And if you don't believe me just put your hands on me
I see the dalai lama, I feel him blessing me

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 07:48:30 am »
Unman I don't really remember! Haha. It was much like the others I remember liking it. I don't even have it with me to listen to sorry. Wed or Thurs I promise!
~Sara~

Manny

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 08:07:16 am »
Thank for the review  =) can't wait to hear Unlock the Lock

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 08:32:13 am »
unlock the lock!!!!!! can't wait to hear it :(
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:05:30 am by Fred_Saboya »

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 09:45:50 am »
I just remembered she said there are three songs left to finish for the album
~Sara~

theone

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 09:57:42 am »
Don't know if this is already "known" or whatever, but the instrumental throughout her StyleLikeU vid is Unlock The Lock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzKJkzY8MKw

Wasn't a huge fan of the track (felt very melodic to me) until I heard it with vocals last night. I love the verses! She hits some floaty high notes in the bridge/pre-chorus/dont-know-which that are lovely. Also kinda cool, this was the "song that lead to all the other songs" and she wrote it after listening to an amazing Bob Dylan satellite radio show where his theme was Lock and Key.

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 10:06:23 am »
just read your review. glad you had a good time, and so glad you recorded it! :)

williansouza908

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 12:53:39 pm »
hello sarab You have the video of the show of music unlock the lock for publish for me on mediafire or 4shared Please thank you

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 04:48:15 pm »
hello sarab You have the video of the show of music unlock the lock for publish for me on mediafire or 4shared Please thank you

i do not have a mediafire account and don't know how to do that, and I don't really have the time.
 I'm sorry I still haven't uploaded the rest of the songs either; someday when I'm feeling better, maybe in a few weeks.
~Sara~