Author Topic: Cedar Point  (Read 10670 times)

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
Cedar Point
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2003, 06:22:30 am »
ok so i went and looked, it starts off with a belt that puts you at 120mph at the beginning of the ride, thus you have enough speed to go up the first hill which is 420 feet
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

kaysha

• Administrator
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
Cedar Point
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2003, 06:23:50 am »
allow me to quote from the website i posted.

The train then moves into a "starting line" position, where it launches forward, reaching speeds of 120 mph in approximately four seconds.

Can you explain to me, in technical detail, how a belt can pull a car to 120 mph in 4 seconds?
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
Cedar Point
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2003, 06:26:15 am »
the belt is attached to the motor, the motor is apparently a strong one.....along the belt are little hooks that hold the bottom of the coaster, so when the ride starts they engage the belt thus launching the coaster off the starting line.....

it would take a tornado to do that with air pressure, maybe i can make a sketch
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cedar Point
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2003, 06:30:11 am »
it has a "Hydraulic launch system"

Isn't that basically saying it's launched and not pulled by any means?  Wouldn't the belt just confuse things or possibly get in the way?
I <3 Nicole

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cedar Point
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2003, 06:31:30 am »
:)

Hydraulic Launch    - Launch mechanism introduced by Intamin AG.
A shed with a set of nitrogen accumulators, spindles, and a hydraulic system sits approximately 160-feet from the station.  The nitrogen accumulators push the hydraulic fluid into a turbine system that powers the pulley.  The system generates nearly 9000 horsepower and uses the pulley to catapult the train out of the station.
I <3 Nicole

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
Cedar Point
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2003, 06:36:11 am »
well not really, but the method you described works as well  :D

check it this is how the belt driven coasters work, when you ride a smaller coaster look for the belts going up the biggest hill, they are the *clikclikclikclikclikclik* you hear when the coaster is climbing

[/img]

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cedar Point
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2003, 06:36:24 am »
so the cable pulls at the same time it's launched?  that has to be hell on the damn cable...
I <3 Nicole

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
Cedar Point
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2003, 06:37:36 am »
actually, the hydraulic system you are talking about runs a pulley, the pulley is attached to a belt....thus my answer

yeah the "belt" is usually some super heavy duty chain...capable of 9000HP in this example...im sure its so big when you go to the ride you wont miss it  :wink:

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cedar Point
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2003, 06:38:08 am »
i actually do understand the concept of a belt, what i posted is the technical facts of the TTD coaster.

It IS a "Hydraulic launch system" and that is the definition of what it is.  I'm sure there is a cable involved as you can't use the Hydraulic launch system all the time, so the cables and what not will be used for moving the coaster out and into position, but trust me... i didn't pull that out of my ass.
I <3 Nicole

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
Cedar Point
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2003, 06:40:06 am »
i know you didnt, the hydraulic system is attached to a pulley, a pulley is a wheel with a groove set in the center for a belt, therefore this whole hydraulic system you are talking about is attached to a big belt that hooks under the coaster and launches it forward at the beginning

:D

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cedar Point
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2003, 06:44:55 am »
but is the cable or the hydrolic system responsible for getting the coaster up to speed?

It seems like the hydrolics are used to launch and the pulley/cable are more for a guide and to maintain control.

If this cable is pulling the coaster, i don't think there is a "cable" strong enough to do that... which may be why the cable has snapped once and one of the wheels flew off already both within 24 hours and both within 3 weeks of the ride opening.
I <3 Nicole

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
Cedar Point
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2003, 06:49:53 am »
exactly like you said, 9000HP is a lot of strain....the hydraulic system is turns the pulley,  thus turning the belt, the belt would be hooked up the entire way along the bottom of the coaster to even the pressure out, but for that much power its obvious you need one HUGE belt, and im sure the wear and tear is ridiculous, but thats what you get for being a moron coaster inventor, they shouldda just had the belt drag it up the hill nice and slow, wouldnt have required so much work......its also possible the belt runs a bunch of wheel that sit under the coaster and spin...i havent seen so i dont know,...i just know the conventional system is chain driven

Ms.Redd

• You aren't tryin'
    • MSN Messenger - chunkiechuck17@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/chunkiechuck/msredd.html
    • Email
Cedar Point
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2003, 07:05:30 am »
I don't think there is a belt because then the car wouldn't have been able to fall back down???

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
Cedar Point
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2003, 07:06:25 am »
the belt is under the car at the very beginning hun, it is launched of a starting ramp and the sheer velocity is supposed to carry it up the hill  :wink:

freshlettuce

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - essaychic
    • View Profile
Cedar Point
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2003, 07:25:29 am »
Ohhhhh, this is a thread about a theme park with coasters, hydraulics, pulleys, and belts.  Silly me, I thought this was about Hunt's Point.  Not Cedar Point.  Tee-hee.   :P

I adore the lovely, little sketch of how coasters work, Logikal.  (The sound effects were my favorite part!  *clickclickclick* )

100th Post!  Woo hoo!!!    8)