Author Topic: "Backstage With Vanessa Carlton" by Beth Romano  (Read 4274 times)

kaysha

• Administrator
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
"Backstage With Vanessa Carlton" by Beth Romano
« on: June 02, 2003, 02:21:58 am »
Many thanks to Nikki (Dancernl) for submitting this interview.  Vanessa was interviewed at the Oneonta show and we are so lucky that Nikki was able to share the interview with us.

She's one of the music industry's rising stars; has received multiple Grammy nominations; has an album out, Be not Nobody, and is currently working on her second one, all in the same year!  Before the concert on Saturday April 26, she gave some insight on everything from performing for legends to dealing with the stresses of being a musician in today's world.

Beth Romano: What made you first get into singing?  Who were your role models?
Vanessa Carlton: I really didn't like a lot of singers growing up.  I mean, I grew up watching a lot of 80's MTV videos, So There, a lot of a-Ha and such,  but I never wanted to be famous, never wanted to be a star, I just wanted to perform, I wanted to be creative.  It just made me happy.  There was never one person that I was- you know even like a Madonna, it was kind of every little girl's dream to capture some of her elements.  I was always entertained by her, but never wanted to be in her shoes.

BR: What would be your dream gig?  Who would you love to play with?
VC: I had my dream gig, but I wouldn't mind having it again.  I got to perform with one of my heroes.  Neil Young invited me to play the bridge on one of the songs that they picked and I ended up sharing the stage with Neil and James Taylor, and other contemporary artists, like Blue Fire and Chuck Johnson, and there was me; it was really great.  It was great company.  there were all really cool people.  It's hard; I find a lot of celebrity musicians pretty lame.

BR: I remember you played with Elton John a while back, what was that like?
VC: Actually, i was very unprepared for that concert.  I did a benefit for Elton.  Meeting Elton was great, but I was kind of bummed out because i didn't feel like I'd prepared myself for that.  I did a cover, and I was scared out of my mind.

BR: What have been the best moments, or maybe the craziest moments, so far in your career?
VC: It's hard, because my life over the past two years has never been defined by one moment.  there are moments in shows where I'm just like "Ah, I'm so happy that this is my job," but it's more a progression of success and regaining perspective on things.  I'm proud of the development over the past couple of months, and I'm really looking forward to where it's going and all that.  Neil Young was great, the moment with Elton John, meeting Bono, all those things are larger than life experiences.  You meet them and you're like, "oh, it's just a guy who succeeded in what he wanted to do.  He used to be 9 and he used to be 19."  I really don't get star-struck.  I admire people who work hard and are able to achieve their goals.

BR: What do you want people to take from your music?
VC: I think that in general that when it comes to being a live performance, which I think is my strongest suit, people look at musicians and performers as almost preachers in a way.  You're following what these people was saying, and you're really buying everything that your're hearing and creating.  You have to know that that's your responsibility, and I think in that relationship that people who are listening, they're looking to be moved and be more comfertable in their movement.  It's hard just being alive-it's really hard.  Music, I think, soothes people like nothing else.  It's one of those things that whether you just play it in your car or whether you're having a really high moment in your life, or if everything has gone wrong for you, it's just always there and hopefully it blocks them from those things and can transcend whole moods.

BR: What kinds of things do you do to take off the stress of and the pressures of the music industry?
VC: I like to run and I like to do nothing.  I'm actually one of those people who can sleep 14 hours, wake up and watch tv, and then continue to do nothing. [all laugh]  People sometimes bug me, they don't know what's wring with me, "Are you still growing?  What's the deal here?"  But I really value trivial things, like me being able to go to New York, and be worried about painting my wall; I love being able to have a break and not have to worry about those mundane things.

BR: Oneonta has a pretty big music industry program.  What advice do you have for people looking to get into the business?
VC: I would say study your ethics as thoroughly as you can.  I mean, it's a really slimy business.  Your backbone has to be really strong, and you also have to have a really strong vision of what you want to accomplish.  I don't know whether it's art development or you're trying to start your own record label, but it's all really a matter of just being a rock and having your vision and not really altering it.
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

Alecs

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
thanks for posting this
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 08:57:56 am »
great interview :wink:
"The crows seemed to be calling his name thought Caw..."

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 10:02:14 am »
Thankyou so much- good to read a recent interview.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Mountaineer

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - guitragirl6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jumpergirl3eb
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jumpergirl3eb
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/beepr
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 10:51:35 am »
that was awesome!!!

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 04:50:26 pm »
Cool. :)

-Brian
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

JazzyManda

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JazzyTrumpet07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2003, 04:52:09 pm »
nice, really liked it

Amanda

nicole

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lovePLASTIClove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 08:55:00 pm »
awesome! thanks to nikki & kat!

GermanSusi

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • ICQ Messenger - 261212972
    • MSN Messenger - susi_from_germany@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - phoebetivia
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vanessacarlton.net.ms
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2003, 04:55:06 am »
Really great!

Thx for posting.
Now I know a little bit more about Nessa

SteveJ2003

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2003, 01:47:10 pm »
Thanks, that was a great interview.

Gina

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2003, 10:00:07 am »
thanks.... nice interview! *a little delayed reaction on my part... to read this lol*  great show @ oneonta too :-d woohoo
Gina
.She'd do anything to sparkle in his eye.

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2003, 12:32:23 am »
Since this was posted on the official site, i'm going to un-sticky it!

Go here to read it =)

-katia
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton