Author Topic: anyone taken the sat yet?  (Read 8745 times)

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
anyone taken the sat yet?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2003, 11:57:51 am »
Quote from: "vive-la-france"
well Andrew

while reading you i feel like this SAT test is useless...

How old is this test ?

It's been around for like 20 years.  But it changes every year.  They keep the basic format the same though.

Really, it just rewards people who can concentrate, relax and take their time filling out answers and not people who are actually smart.
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

neos

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Prat Twin #1
    • AOL Instant Messenger - superneos
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2003, 02:11:56 pm »
Quote from: "neos"
Basque

this will always make me laugh  :lol:

btw : sorry for that Nerea  :?

We don't force people to learn Basque in french Pays Basque ( Pais vasco)

quiere tocar la guitar Manueeelllll OLĂ©

i had to do it

:P it's ok. I am not too keen on Basque anyway... it was one of the toughest subjects. Luckily, since I came back from spending a year in England I didn't have to study it anymore (that's the last 5 years of school!), so I wasn't tested on that subject in Selectividad, very very lucky hehe Unfortunately, most of my friends had to study it (except for the ones, who like me, had spent a year abroad) and I felt most sorry for them. Our crappy Basque autonomist government's fault (omg did I just write "our"?  8O )... they make us study useless languages when we could be studying anything else, 100x more useful

there's only four seasons
and this one's almost gone
these nights feel so good
but this one's almost gone

KilgoreTrout

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2003, 02:37:42 pm »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
You know, the SAT's are the most biased crap tests EVER.

You throw me in front of an SAT and I'll run the score up all day.  You throw me in a science or high level match class and I fall apart.

I'm horrible at memorization of eqations and complicated rules of physics and chemistry so why do I deserve to be considered smarter than someone who is great at memorization and mathematics but is bad at logic and word puzzles?

Even the "MATH" section of the SAT still panders to people bad at Math because it's hard for them to assume specific knowledge of equations and what not.

I know too many people who have done exceptionally well on standardized tests but seem to be unable to take care of themselves on a daily basis.  Why do we still classify this as smart?

It's just bad.
---Andrew

The SAT is valuable because, as you said, it's standardized.  It's become a de facto standard - almost every college uses it - that allows quick and dirty comparisons between students from all over the country and isn't subject to local issues like differences in grading scales from school-to-school, etc.  
I would say that's all it's designed for, not for measuring true intelligence - and in my experience it does it's job fairly well - most people i know have gotten around the score they "deserved."

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2003, 07:02:02 am »
Quote from: "KilgoreTrout"
I would say that's all it's designed for, not for measuring true intelligence - and in my experience it does it's job fairly well - most people i know have gotten around the score they "deserved."

I would disagree.  Some of my closest friends scored very high, did very well in college, but career wise are miserable failures because they have no drive or motivation or ability to interact with people intelligently on a daily basis.  They are great problem solvers when they get to sit down and analyze something, but they can't think on their feet to save their lives.

I also know a lot of people who scored too low for their relative sucesses and contributions to society.

Really, thats closer to how I define intelligence.  A person's ability to contribute something of value to society.

I know VERY few people that i would say got what they deserved on the SAT.
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2003, 08:50:41 pm »
what is the sat ? i thought you were talking about satellite TV   :oops:

Next year i will pass a TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language), if someone want to know  :roll:

yeah I know that test...I've helped people out for that test......TOEFL

my SAT was like 12 years or so....I didn't care so much for it....I wasn't college bound at that time....

tylor