Author Topic: Fullerene forums are crap!!!  (Read 5072 times)

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
Fullerene forums are crap!!!
« on: September 18, 2002, 07:09:52 am »
:evil:  they died on me!!!!
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2002, 08:20:44 am »
yeah and it aint back on yet

Wonkies

• Ex-Mod
  • You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - W0nkies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.neverbrokenmusic.com
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2002, 08:30:15 am »
I can't believe they're still down!  It's been at least a half hour!

http://www.neverbrokenmusic.com
"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." -Homer Simpson

joann

haha
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2002, 11:33:36 pm »
funny to read this post now, they were down for four hours!!!

MistrFish

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MistrStx
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2002, 06:45:19 pm »
:evil: Guess what? Theyr'e down again....ugh!

Zebrakorn

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2002, 01:18:28 pm »
Yeah, they are crap. I'm hoping to try and sort it out though. See my thread on this ..

http://www.vanessacarlton.com/bboard/forumname/1024454_flat.html

I'm going to try and sort out a proper report to submit to Universal, the ISP and Fullerene, the the hope it may help them sort out issues. It's always nice to have a proper list to refer to, submitted by people who actually use the thing.

So keep your fingers crossed :)

-- Matt

kaysha

• Administrator
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
good luck
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2002, 11:54:18 pm »
i've tried emailing the admin and technical contact on the domain, the ISP and the street team... seems like no one is listening...

that's one reason i don't post over there, i think i'd shoot myself getting so annoyed.

What's with the nightly maintenance? :
This message board is temporarily down for maintenance. It will be back online in approximately one half hour.
We apologize for the inconvenience.

That's fairly irritating as well.:)

-katia
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

Zebrakorn

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2002, 12:08:30 am »
Yeah. Well personally I think that the regular maintenance is a good sign. It shows that they are aware of problems and are trying to keep things running a bit smoother by running maintenance scripts.

Not that it actually helps, but at least they are paying it some attention.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I should send out some emails before putting a report together so I don't waste my time.

Hmmmm

-- Matt

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
no excuse...
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2002, 12:39:58 am »
Quote from: "Zebrakorn"
Yeah. Well personally I think that the regular maintenance is a good sign. It shows that they are aware of problems and are trying to keep things running a bit smoother by running maintenance scripts.

There are maintenance options with phpBB (which is run here...) and all it does is pruning of the database... deleting rows from the table after a period of time if configured to do so.  The entire forum isn't taken down to accomplish this task and isn't even noticable to users.

I think they should junk that shit and go with phpBB or the perl based forum... um i forget the name but it's good too!

Why reinvent the wheel when there are other people that do great jobs coding forums already?  Fullerene should be fired for having such a shitty product.

-katia
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

Zebrakorn

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2002, 12:49:01 am »
Well, it's a tricky one. I'm a web developer for a company. We have a client that we run a site, bbs and online shop for. The bbs is Ultimate Bulletin Board which is one of the most popular boards about. It's very well written and the support is second to none.

There are some pretty good maintenance tools on that one and they always turn off the forum when they're running. UBB is a perl based forum.

The thing is, when you want a forum for a specific purpose, it sometimes makes sense to write it yourself so that it can do specific things, rather than being a generic board.

In this instance, they haven't really taken advantage of it. It seems Fullerene supply similar tools to many clients, so they probably just used a standard model they had anyway. About the only custom thing I've seen is Vanessa can post and uses a blue unicorn .. big wow! :)

I run a website for a group of people and wrote a bulletin board for them in asp. This ties in nicely with the website which also runs on asp and means that I have been able to incorporate a lot of functionality and tools specific to them which is cool.

Anyway. I agree with you. They have a fairly generic board anyway, so maybe they should just have gone with somehting simple like UBB or phpBB etc. I guess they just didn't want anything too commercial or generic.

If they fancy adding any clever bits later on, then they still can and you don't get that with the standard forums you can download and install.

I think there is a big problem with the hosting of the site. The system that hosts it is fairly low spec, I think. It's so slow at serving up pages. There's also their internet connection that may be at fault, and then the coding for the forum.

Argh, my fingers hurt now!  :D

-- Matt

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
hehe
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2002, 11:13:11 am »
You guys are silly, they are down again and no one is over here, sup with that?
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
Iam
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2002, 11:15:38 am »
I am, but I'm busy TRL'ing ;O)

-Kev222

Zebrakorn

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2002, 11:38:28 am »
lol .. I was just thinking "but it's not down" .. and then I went to post a reply, lol