Author Topic: please make me happy on thursday..  (Read 6182 times)

Si

• Fine as dandelions
  • Down a Rabbithole
    • View Profile
please make me happy on thursday..
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2003, 06:39:35 am »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
aids is preventable...

Aids is most definetly not preventable Joey, and even the drugs that prolong life are not available because big western countries barely make these drugs affordable in the countries worst affected.  

And yeah, there may be an aids day but is there a day for any of those other things? What about the thousands of people killed in Northern Island fuelled by American money? The list could go on forvever.

Like Joey said, that wasn't the purpose of this thread

Make another thread for those things then

• SHUT  UP  when  I'm  talking  to  you... !
 You  hear  me?  ANSWER  me !! •

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2003, 06:49:47 am »
Yeah Si, i get yours and Joey's point. And don't doubt that i care about september the 11th, it affected everybody's lives. I just wanted people to think about things that most people ignore. See what i mean?
"I'm all about the wordplay."

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2003, 06:57:04 am »
Yay! Si is here 2! This is just like another late nite on the VCB! Party time!

Seriously - its a very interesting anniversary! I personally found BNN 2B a
great piece of post traumatic stress disorder therapy - it really saved me!

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2003, 08:39:02 am »
This is what my computer looked like at work today (the pic is from my home comp but it's pretty much the same lol):

I know, I'm crazy but whateveeer!  :lol:
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - stephlava2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stephaniepressman
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2003, 08:50:18 am »
Happy Happy

LimeTwister

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2003, 11:18:27 am »
ghisy i outlined that apple in computer graphics...thought you needed to know....

and aids is preventable, i know in western civilizations that information isn't there...or what not and i know it is stupid to say not to have sex or what not..but that is a simple fact, stop having sex.

PIBby

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - ckdurbin@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - IWanted19ButGot2
    • View Profile
    • http://hometown.aol.com/sanchezhouse/
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2003, 12:22:32 pm »
I feel horrible today . . . It's September 11, yep.

What would posess someone to do something like that? Do they WANT me to kick their asses? 'Cause, if I have to, I'll go to Iraq and their asses'll be mine.

We had a prayer thing today for everytime a plane hit one of the towers. And my computer teacher had the nerve to clean out her closet (literally) while the rest of us were praying (quietly) and not talking. I mean, if people leaving before Father gets all the way down the aisle after Mass makes me mad . . . How pissed do you think I was about this fake-boobed bitch doing something as disresptctful as that?

Also, Rosie, I understand what you're saying, and you're right. But America Itself does enough for the Africans with AIDS and those starving kids, today is one of the few days a year America gets to pay attention to Itself. Just think about it. Any other day, I'd be on your side, but today I'm being too much of a Conservative (Oh, can you believe it? Yeah, today and Memorial Day) to agree.

I had a Flag pin I stole from my principal's office (not in trouble). That's the most we could have.

PintOGuinness

• VCUBs
  • Your true colors shown
  • My face is on milk cartons
    • ICQ Messenger - 3162963
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PintOGuinnessVC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.buckheadyouthorchestra.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2003, 12:32:29 pm »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
Aids is most definetly not preventable Joey...

What crack are you smoking???  AIDS is quite possibly the most preventable disease on Earth.  AIDS has very limited transmission methods Rosie, people are choosing to participate in the risky behavior that spreads it... people are CHOOSING to spread AIDS... it could easily be prevented.  

But why isn't there a day to think about all of the thousands of people starving in Africa?

Because we're talking about a day of rememberance in the USA, for an event that occurred in the USA.  I don't see the correlaton to events in Africa.  The events in Africa hold no relevance in this day.  But also, With the amount of aid sent from the United States both Public and Private to Africa... it's almost silly to imply that the US doesn't think about the situation.  

Or the 400 people dying an hour of AIDS in South Africa?

See above...

Or the thousands who died in Afghanistan in the war America waged?

This has always bugged me about people who throw out sentences like this.  it was the same with Anti-war protesters.  How can you in good concience throw out a phrase like this and NOT mention the 100's of thousands tortured and intimidated women kept under the rule of the taliban.  How can you not mention the priceless historical sites and artifacts destoryed by them in their so called holy crusades?  I think you've been watching too much of the Beeb..

Or the people dying in Israel and Palestine?

Again, who said we are NOT?  is it appropriate on THIS day?  no. It holds no relevance.  Believe me I'm thinkiing about it.. I was thinking about how skewed the reporting was on CNN last night...  I'm thinking how im amazed there is still anger against israel as hamas openly announces they will attack homes and women and children... even as israel does it's best to limit casualties...  I'm amazed that sole thing stopping peace from occuring, Arafat is allowed to just go on, mocking the world with his bogus "peace" prize.

There are a lot of complexities in the world.. and none are out of the thoughts of Americans Rosie... certainly not out of mine...  but to think there's something wrong with a nation taking personal time to greave over it's own tragedy.. that to me seems wrong...
-- Jason

PIBby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2003, 12:37:42 pm »
Jason sooo is right on this political debate (I sooo never thought I'd say that, I mean, I never thought about it, but . . .).

Blake

• **BANNED**
    • View Profile
    • http://www.LinkinPark.com
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2003, 12:38:50 pm »
Quote from: "PintOGuinness"
Or the thousands who died in Afghanistan in the war America waged?

This has always bugged me about people who throw out sentences like this.  it was the same with Anti-war protesters.  How can you in good concience throw out a phrase like this and NOT mention the 100's of thousands tortured and intimidated women kept under the rule of the taliban.  How can you not mention the priceless historical sites and artifacts destoryed by them in their so called holy crusades?  I think you've been watching too much of the Beeb..

The perfect responce.

Sig & Av By LJ User: Shinodaguitar

neos

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Prat Twin #1
    • AOL Instant Messenger - superneos
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2003, 12:48:46 pm »
I think I can see everybody's point here. What I understand from what Rosie said is - please correct me if I'm wrong hun - and I totally agree, is that since the whole world remembers and thinks of America on this day, why shouldn't America think of the rest of the world when tragedy occurs elsewhere. I guess the rest of the world, or maybe just Europe, sees America as very self-centered. While we all share your sadness and rememberance on this very day, ppl don't see it happening the other way round. When events happen outside America or American interests, are the victims less worthy of rememberance? Just throwing the question here. At least that's what I've gathered from public opinion in the places I've been around Europe.

there's only four seasons
and this one's almost gone
these nights feel so good
but this one's almost gone

LimeTwister

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2003, 01:09:39 pm »
Quote from: "PintOGuinness"
I was thinking about how skewed the reporting was on CNN last night...

CNN gives the wrong numbers of deaths...they did yesturday afternoon at least...

Gina

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2003, 01:10:09 pm »
Never forget.... 9/11/01  :cry:  

Never will I forget that day, as it was probably one of the most terrible days of my entire life even though i didnt personally know anyone who died, but i think its a hard day for all us Americans.  I wore my patriotic colors today, and in spanish class, we spent the whole period talking about it and reading an article (in spanish) about 9/11.  I was really upset that we didnt observe moments of silence though (like last year).  My thoughts and prayers are still with those who lost family and friends during the horrid events that we'll never forget.
Gina
.She'd do anything to sparkle in his eye.

LimeTwister

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2003, 01:14:46 pm »
Quote from: "neos"
I think I can see everybody's point here. What I understand from what Rosie said is - please correct me if I'm wrong hun - and I totally agree, is that since the whole world remembers and thinks of America on this day, why shouldn't America think of the rest of the world when tragedy occurs elsewhere. I guess the rest of the world, or maybe just Europe, sees America as very self-centered. While we all share your sadness and rememberance on this very day, ppl don't see it happening the other way round. When events happen outside America or American interests, are the victims less worthy of rememberance? Just throwing the question here. At least that's what I've gathered from public opinion in the places I've been around Europe.

nerea we are a very self-centered country, but it's not like we totally forget the rest of the world...

We get reports on what is happening, we are slightly effected by what goes on, at the same time, it didn't hit us like 9-11. Even Americans still payed little attention to the fact it was 9-11, at least at my school.  Which in a way makes me sick.

you also have to remember different countries have different points of views.  I see what Rosie is getting at, and i agree that we might not think of certain things, but in reality we do.  We have all sorts of charity's for things like the AID's situation or the kids of Afghan.   America is a Huge country, so of course no everyone is going to be focused on one problem...

did that make any sense?

PIBby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2003, 01:21:45 pm »
It makes sense, honey. :)