Author Topic: Downloading is wrong so are record companies-english paper  (Read 1096 times)

sayyouwould

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - xsayyouwouldx@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sayyouwould
    • View Profile
Downloading is wrong so are record companies-english paper
« on: September 24, 2003, 05:17:09 pm »
This is a paper I just wrote because I had to. I'm wondering if you all think it's ok to hand in tomorrow. If not could you tell me how to improve it.

Thanks!!

I think that downloading music, programs, and movies off of peer to peer programs is pretty much wrong. One reason why I feel this way is because people can be very greedy and instead of just downloading something for just a taste people become obsessed and download anything they can get their hands on. This hurts the company that makes the item. There are many copy write laws that forbid people from illegally copying things but many people don’t read them. Everyone else is doing it yet people know that it’s still stealing and that you shouldn’t do that.
       On the other hand I understand why people had the urge to go crazy download crazy. Music, movies, and programs are sickeningly expensive. It’s ridiculous when you have to pay almost 20 dollars for a CD. Also, the peer to peer programs make it so the items are right there for you to download. It’s right there who isn’t going to grab it if they can? You’re borrowing it from some stranger off the internet who bought the CD. Technically the music you’re listening to has been paid for.
      Although sharing the music online is still wrong due to copyright laws the record companies, I think, have gone overboard with the sues they filed. They sued people for up to 17,000 dollars for damages. The record companies are going after people with people like with 1000 plus files that they are sharing. Well if you think about that for a minute if you download 1000 songs off of the MAC program Ipod that’s only 990 dollars. That’s a big difference. So the bottom line is even with them suing people they need to get everything else straightened up before they go and ask for outrageous amounts of money.
I rely on my illusions to keep me warm at night