Author Topic: Vanessa Carlton : The New American Goth  (Read 17578 times)

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
Vanessa Carlton : The New American Goth
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2003, 07:47:50 pm »
This article definitely made me go O_o! ... but I guess we will just have to wait and see what the end product is.

I do agree with Jason though, if she is trying to dramatically change her style and that she may lose a big portion of that "TRL" fanbase that she has because they won't be able to relate to the music and that could really hurt her radioplay and album sales. I hate to say something like this but even if doing her album like this makes her happy, because she is only a cog in the machine if her album just FLOPS because of it A&M isn't going to be very happy with her. If she ran her own label and could be experimental and such it would be different, but frankly that isn't the case. But I guess all we can do is wait and see how the album turns out and put together all of the pieces then.
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

PintOGuinness

• VCUBs
  • Your true colors shown
  • My face is on milk cartons
    • ICQ Messenger - 3162963
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PintOGuinnessVC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.buckheadyouthorchestra.com
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2003, 08:18:33 pm »
Quote from: "tylor2000"

My personal wish for your music is that you take more from classical than rock.  They were the REAL masters, not some of this modern music, yes even neil ;) , and certainly not those people under 30 you talk about who need to read a book.

AMEN!!  :)
-- Jason

tricia

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2003, 08:19:42 pm »
Quote from: "katia"
oh yeah, wouldn't that be great... wet hair, wet cloths... random questions... bwahahaha

But at least I'll finally have my proof!
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Trading Yesterday
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BVulture
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theageof.info
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2003, 08:21:00 pm »
Quote from: "DixieChck615"
But at least I'll finally have my proof!

Proof of what?
"Tricia: The New American Goth"
 :wink:

jjthefourth

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • ICQ Messenger - 50609941
    • MSN Messenger - jjthefourth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ConcordSix
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jjthefourth
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jjthefourth.com/
    • Email
The Interview
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2003, 08:32:50 pm »
That interview kinda scares me.  Actually, it really scares me.  Don't get me wrong, no matter what she puts out I like her voice and I'll listen to it, but the thought of no Afterglow.  *shivers*  That's too much.

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2003, 08:38:20 pm »
maybe Stephen didnt influence her... but it is possible, cause he IS the producer of her album, and she did start changing when they began going out on the GGD/3EB/VC tour, atleast thats when i noticed it. but maybe its a coincidence. if i was a singer and was dating a guy who was a singer, i think he'd influence me atleast a lil if he was proiducing my album. i'm not saying thats bad.

i just cant wait to hear her new stuff... i hope its good, and not as dark and she's making it sound. i dont dislike goth, but i think she had a good thing before and very unique. and some change is good, i just hope she doesnt completely change and isnt the Vanessa we all grew to love at all.
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2003, 12:52:51 am »
Quote from: "kiisnsync"
maybe Stephen didnt influence her................ i just hope she doesnt completely change and isnt the Vanessa we all grew to love at all.

Quote from: "Vanessa Carlton"
More importantly, this album is hugely personal and (not surprisingly) gothic.

Quote from: "kev222"
The "She Floats" we have isn't what I'd consider Goth, sure it's depressing, but that alone doesn't make it Goth.

Edit: I've just gone back and listened to "She Floats" and actually is pretty Goth. I stand corrected.

Quote from: "eclv"
It should be very interesting and yeah, I don't think Stephan is making her do anything. We all know she isn't one to conform and is very much into standing for what she wants. And since there is a film being made we can see exactly how it all came about.

I think she is just finding herself as an artist.  I mean it is not too different from the many songs from the darker side of BNN.  Alot of us have expressed our wishes that these songs could have videos and be more widely excepted.

I personally can attest to the power of such feelings and maybe she is noticing this whole side of herself that makes for powerfull emotions that swell up and can more easily find themselves in memory and expressed through the fingers or the pen.  I mean back in school and other times like relationships she used music to express emotions of like the ones in, "Paradise,"  "Unsung."  Think about it.  How many happy-go-lucky songs are there in BNN?

Quote from: "PintOGuinness"
Quote from: "tylor2000"

My personal wish for your music is that you take more from classical than rock.  They were the REAL masters, not some of this modern music, yes even neil ;) , and certainly not those people under 30 you talk about who need to read a book.

AMEN!!  :)

This is my real concern.....as I don't want VC to become another monotinous artist.

tylor

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2003, 01:02:21 am »
Quote from: "Ty"
I mean it is not too different from the many songs from the darker side of BNN.... she used music to express emotions of like the ones in, "Paradise,"  "Unsung."  Think about it.  How many happy-go-lucky songs are there in BNN?

A good point, well made.

-Kev

jsbachsonata

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - jsbach_sonata@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jsbachsonata
    • View Profile
DARK STUFF!! WOOHOOO!!! I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!!!
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2003, 03:46:23 am »
OMG!!! I'M SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS DARK STUFF!!! RINSE, WANTED, PAPA, SHE FLOATS, PARADISE!!! THESE SONGS HAVE SUCH A SPECIAL PLACE IN MY HEART.... actualy, how i got to know vanessa was because my sis bought her cd thinking that most of her songs would be ATM like, but then she found so many dark songs, and then I liked vanessa more than her :) b/c of the dark songs... omg... i love the dark/ moody vanessa stuff.... I can't wait for this album.... I'm so serious.. this is like a dream come true..

this is great for me... but it seems that this will not have a very high appeal to the american market.... (even the current nessa fans)....hmm... i guess i'm just kinda different from the fans that like ATM...

BTW the suicide theme is NOT new. Paradise is obviously about suicide (it's pretty obvious even if nessa says to the media that it's not but in some ways... it must have been talking about suicide but she just couldn't say that to the media)

bumblebee429

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
omg i cant believe im reading all this from FANS
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2003, 04:12:44 am »
it doesnt matter wat TRL or any1 in the music industry thinks; wateva Nessa brings out will be her. I member ages ago when Gwen posted in the other forum and said how personal all Nessas music is and how hard it is 4 her 2 put it out 2 the public and see it criticized, and here all of u r criticizing somthing u havnet even heard yet!
She may hve changed from the innocent little ATM girl she was last year but watever Nessa does i will fully support her.

xxx Sarah

P.S. I think i am the only one HAPPY 2 here shes gone darker?? B4 every1 was saying how much they loved Wated and all the darker side and now just because its (stupidy) been titled "Gothic" ppl rn't so happy...

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
Re: omg i cant believe im reading all this from FANS
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2003, 04:35:13 am »
Quote from: "bumblebee429"
here all of u r criticizing somthing u havnet even heard yet!

Quote from: "bumblebee429"
I think i am the only one HAPPY 2 here shes gone darker??

I think you are the only one not to read the thread properly before replying ;)

-Kev

I gotta wear shades

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2003, 04:47:44 am »
Quote from: "kiisnsync"
maybe Stephen didnt influence her... but it is possible, cause he IS the producer of her album, and she did start changing when they began going out on the GGD/3EB/VC tour, at least thats when i noticed it.

I don't think she is changing.  I think she now has the freedom to be herself.  What you saw before with TRL and such was just an obligation to her label.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Re: omg i cant believe im reading all this from FANS
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2003, 06:23:33 am »
STFU n00b

-Kev

Edited for brevity  :wink:
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

tricia

• Moderators
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2003, 06:30:47 am »
I agree with Shades.  It does seem, now that we look back, that she was almost holding herself back, never letting herself be exactly what she wanted.  Good for her for doing it now.

LMAO Andrew...that's it.  Just LMAO.
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2003, 11:23:18 am »
Quote from: "DixieChck615"
I agree with Shades.  It does seem, now that we look back, that she was almost holding herself back, never letting herself be exactly what she wanted.  Good for her for doing it now.

I do actually agree, when we went to see her my mum particularly commented on how goth she was- it was even in The Guardian the next day. I do always think she has had a darker side to her- i think ATM was a one off little ditty she wrote- but the thing is, to tell the truth, i liked that 'little ditty' and her earlier stuff more than her darker.
"I'm all about the wordplay."