Author Topic: Looking into buying an electic guitar  (Read 3633 times)

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
Looking into buying an electic guitar
« on: December 30, 2003, 12:03:35 pm »
I need some suggestions and I wanted to know if anyone would recommend some good books as to teaching myself how to play.

:)

Thanks

(if this gets locked, sorry)

Manda

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

Alecs

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 12:47:39 pm »
don't know about the books but there are sites on the internet that just show you basic chords you'll wanna learn. What kind of guitar do ya want? Les Paul's kick butt. They have a really cool sound. You may not wanna sound like Slash from G n' R or Perry from Aerosmith or Ace Frehley from Kiss but that guitar is a really nice one. A lot of my friends have Fender's though. They're also good. As well as Gibson's. 8)
"The crows seemed to be calling his name thought Caw..."

T. B. Taylor

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • ICQ Messenger - 314016461
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 02:34:04 pm »
first of all, buying a really good guitar is not a piece of cake. you should become aware of your personal needs.

maybe i can help you if you tell me what kind of music you wanna play (a specific style or all-round?) and how much money you're willing to spend, etc.

DancingWithDelusion

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - Gizmo42285
    • AOL Instant Messenger - OneDay2Nothing
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - DancingWithDelusion
    • View Profile
GUITAR!!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 04:06:21 pm »
Mmmmmmm......Les Paul!! I love my Paul.....and my V ;-) Go GIBSON!!! As for books, let me dig mine out real quick. *Digs Around* Ah, here it is! You Can Teach yourself Guitar by William Bay. I never really used it though, I just played and played and eventually just picked things up by ear. Though, it really depends on the person and the way you learn best. My advice to you is, go to a little hole in the wall guitar shop. That is where the wise ones lurk. The big corperations have to hire a lot of people, so they tend to overlook quality and knowledge in their employees. Have a good one!

_Cory_
~ She's lost in coma where it's beautiful. Intoxicated from the deep sleep. Do you know what it's like? Living in a permanent imagination, sleeping to escape reality but she likes it like that. ~

LimeTwister

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 04:23:11 pm »
Les Paul, aren't they really expensive? great looking guitars though...

*plays accoustic and is a guitar idiot so I can't help*

DancingWithDelusion

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - Gizmo42285
    • AOL Instant Messenger - OneDay2Nothing
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - DancingWithDelusion
    • View Profile
Some
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 08:23:25 pm »
It depends, some of them are expensive.....really expensive. However, they have a couple models out that aren't too bad. Epiphone (did I spell that right? looks funny.) makes les paul style guitars and they are very affordable. Decent guitars too! It all depends on the type of wood that is used for the body, which gives the guitar it's individual sound (as well as the pickups and hardware). If you've ever picked up an expensive Gibson, you may have noticed that it would be a burden to have hanging from your shoulder for hours at a time. They are quite heavy. I have always found Schecter guitars a very intriguing. They are affordable, and sound nice. You can never go wrong with a Fender though, they just aren't my fancy. Though, I do dig the telecaster  :D  very nice sound if you're looking for a blues tone. Anyway, if you're starting out...just go with what fits you best, and your budget. As for learning tools, lessons and practice are always a plus. I'm afraid I don't know of any good books. I would just get one of the HUGE chord dictionaries and go from there. Guitar playing is more creativity and imagination than it is booksmart. Just let your imagination guide, and your fingers will follow as soon as they become adjusted. Have a good one!

_Cory_
~ She's lost in coma where it's beautiful. Intoxicated from the deep sleep. Do you know what it's like? Living in a permanent imagination, sleeping to escape reality but she likes it like that. ~

Scotty

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: Looking into buying an electic guitar
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 02:02:57 am »
Quote from: "Amanda-Panda"
I need some suggestions and I wanted to know if anyone would recommend some good books as to teaching myself how to play.

:)

Thanks

(if this gets locked, sorry)

Manda

dont think it will be locked but maybe moved

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

Manda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 12:29:22 pm »
the music I like:
John Mayer
third eye blind (good guitar music)
The Vines (not so much)
Jason Mraz
Michelle Branch

I'm willing to spend
$300 for my first guitar, to see if I like playing, I dont want to put tooooo much money into something I might quit. I spent a load of money on my piano, and I never use it. So I dont want to repeat that.

:roll:

Thanks for the help. I was thinking of getting a Fender/Squire I dont know yet, something simple, my cousin Rami told me about them since I am a beginner and know nothing.

:lol:

Manda

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

T. B. Taylor

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • ICQ Messenger - 314016461
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2004, 07:56:23 am »
so you're a bloody guitar rookie?  :wink:
Do you have a guitar at all? you have to consider that an electric guitar on its own doesn't make much sense and an amp will cost a few bucks...so maybe you better start with an acoustic guitar, find out wether you like playing the guitar and, finally, buy a model that fits your needs and is not just a compromise.

as far as the books are concerned i'd recommend 'a modern method for guitar vol. 1' by william g. leavitt (berklee press publications); however, you'll have to study that book thoroughly and very disciplined to make headway.

Manda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2004, 11:24:35 am »
No way!

Thats a crock, lots of my friends/family started out Acoustic and Electric and they are doing just fine.

:wink:

I hate acoustic guitars, Its just not my thing.

I'm going to start as a "bloody Rookie" playing the electric guitar.

I'm still getting help, and My cousin is going to take me this week (maybe next week) to help me pick a guitar out and the other necessities I need to play.

Manda

One Girl Army

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - skagirl62487
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - civilwarwriter24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2004, 02:17:04 pm »
Everyone starts out as a "guitar rookie", that's how we learn. I just passed my 1 year mark Thankgiving weekend.

I have a Squier because it's all I can afford. If you're not sure you're going to stick with it, I would recommend getting a Squier since they're inexpensive. Don't- this goes for anything, really- buy a brand you've never heard of just because its cheap.

I haven't had any formal training or anything, I have a few books but I lose interest since I'd rather just learn on my own. I would recommend a chord dictionary. And tabs are the greatest invention on earth.  :D

Good luck and remember, have fun!
"We are made to bleed
And scab and heal and bleed again
And turn every scar into a joke
We are made to fight
And f**k and talk and fight again
And sit around
And laugh until we choke"
-Ani DiFranco

Manda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2004, 04:40:19 pm »
I talked with my cousin yesterday because I went out, and I saw my cousin rami and we talked a lot mostly about guitar. and he said that he's losing interest fast.

he said he'll send me his fender one, but thats if I really want it. I dont know if I do, because I dont know if I'm going to stick with it since I'm starting Lacrosse again in like two weeks...I'm very disappointed, but I love Lacrosse a lot more and I dont know if I'm going to play guitar when I have my practices and games/tournaments.

:roll:

Manda