Author Topic: White-Only Scholarship  (Read 11595 times)

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2004, 06:01:49 pm »
Quote from: "Katia's Lover"
Quote from: "tricia"
If you want to get technical, we're all African/Middle Eastern because isn't that where all people were said to have originated anyway?  *shrug*

We're all Iraqis!!!  Seriously, archaelogists believe the Garden of Eden (or Babylon depending on your POV) was in the southern part of Iraq.

Does that mean Bush wants to bomb us next?

*skuuurrd*

:razz:
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

jlmusicchick

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2004, 04:50:56 am »
Quote from: "Holly"
*is wearing a "everyone loves a german girl" shirt*

i dont care what ya'll say... i still love my heritage! :)

Me too! I used to wear this huge ass shirt that had the American flag and Italian flag on it that said "My Country, My Heritage" I consider myself an American, but I also like to know where my family came from. my greatgrandparents immigrated from Italy, so it's cool when people from my family go back to Italy to visit distant relatives.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2004, 06:09:23 am »
Quote from: "Rosie"
Its weird because people here are just as much from a mixed background as you are- but no one actually cares. And actually it could be argued that America is far from a 'new' country as it has one of the oldest political constitutions in the world.

Rosie, dear.  British people are not from as mixed a background as Americans.  You and I had this conversation once.

You start showing me % of your country that is black and hispanic and if it comes anywhere NEAR the % in the US, I'll conceed the point.

The British Isles are ALL Anglo Saxon background.  Irish, Welsh, English.  All just white people with different accents.

In my MBA class right now there are 2 african-americans, 3 people from India, 1 person from China and 1 person from Vietnam.  Then there is the usual mix of Irish/Enlgish/Italian/German caucasians.  They are all American citizens.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2004, 06:12:39 am »
Quote from: "tricia"
If you want to get technical, we're all African/Middle Eastern because isn't that where all people were said to have originated anyway?  *shrug*

Half-true.  That is where we find the earliest signs of humans.

But humans developed on seperate continents after they all split.  So, if I remember my facts correctly, Australian Aboriginal Tribes likely have no connection to the Tigiris/Euphrates cradle of life theory.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2004, 10:49:29 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
Its weird because people here are just as much from a mixed background as you are- but no one actually cares. And actually it could be argued that America is far from a 'new' country as it has one of the oldest political constitutions in the world.

Rosie, dear.  British people are not from as mixed a background as Americans.  You and I had this conversation once.

You start showing me % of your country that is black and hispanic and if it comes anywhere NEAR the % in the US, I'll conceed the point.

The British Isles are ALL Anglo Saxon background.  Irish, Welsh, English.  All just white people with different accents.

In my MBA class right now there are 2 african-americans, 3 people from India, 1 person from China and 1 person from Vietnam.  Then there is the usual mix of Irish/Enlgish/Italian/German caucasians.  They are all American citizens.

I think you failed to see the point. My point was that many people in this country are from an ethnically mixed background also visible in America (due to the Commonwealth etc which you failed to consider in your point about British people's ethnic background), i never once implied that everyone was of that manner here- nor did i suggest that a larger or equal percentage are of such a mixed background as in America.

Does the number of people bear any relevance on this? Or was that just an excuse to reel off your wonderfully ethnicly diverse class?  :razz:

P.S I <3 Tricia
"I'm all about the wordplay."

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2004, 04:54:18 pm »
I'm like Tricia.  I just say, "I'm American Mutt," because when your family has been here since pre-revolutionary times and the records for family get hazy from way back, you just figure the combination of sexual parters with the number of people who have come here since then --and before then, it's possible you could have a little of just about anything in you.  Hell, one of my ancestors signed the Declaration of Indepence, or at least there is a VERY high likely hood of it.

tylor

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2004, 04:49:32 am »
Quote from: "Holly"
*is wearing a "everyone loves a german girl" shirt*

i dont care what ya'll say... i still love my heritage! :)

LMAO I was watching TRl yestertday and there was a guy wearing a tshirt that says "Everyone loves an Italian boy"!!! It was the greatest thing i've seen all day :razz:

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2004, 05:14:45 am »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"

I think you failed to see the point. My point was that many people in this country are from an ethnically mixed background also visible in America (due to the Commonwealth etc which you failed to consider in your point about British people's ethnic background), i never once implied that everyone was of that manner here- nor did i suggest that a larger or equal percentage are of such a mixed background as in America.

Does the number of people bear any relevance on this? Or was that just an excuse to reel off your wonderfully ethnicly diverse class?  :razz:

P.S I <3 Tricia

Dearie.  Your exact words are up there for you to read.  I don't care what your "point" was.  Your statement was "people here are just as much from a mixed background as you are".

I was not disputing any "point" you may or may not have been making OTHER than this one.  The British are NOT from as mixed a background as Americans are.  Period.

And the point of those #'s was to demonstrate the difference between American diversity and British diversity.  I got a dollar that says you don't have a class that diverse.  Which, again, illustrates my central point from above.  British society is not as ethnically diverse as American society.

---Andrew

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2004, 05:43:45 am »

P.S I <3 Tricia

Dearie.  Your exact words are up there for you to read.  I don't care what your "point" was.  Your statement was "people here are just as much from a mixed background as you are".

I was not disputing any "point" you may or may not have been making OTHER than this one.  The British are NOT from as mixed a background as Americans are.  Period.

And the point of those #'s was to demonstrate the difference between American diversity and British diversity.  I got a dollar that says you don't have a class that diverse.  Which, again, illustrates my central point from above.  British society is not as ethnically diverse as American society.

Well i obviously worded it wrong- i meant some specific people here are from a just as ethnically diverse background as Holly is. And that was my intention from the start- so sorry if i worded it wrong 'dearie'. I got a dollar that says i live in an almost completely white town, but you ask Tia if she has a class that ethnically diverse, or any of my friends in London and you'll find that it is just as comparable- if not more, with an increased number from Eastern Europe. I was never attempting to argue that Britain has a more ethinically diverse culture- it is evidently clear that is not the case- what i was arguing was that people here who are from an extremely mixed ethnic background don't feel the need to go on and on about it whenever the opportunity arises.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2004, 06:00:39 am »
Well i obviously worded it wrong- i meant some specific people here are from a just as ethnically diverse background as Holly is. And that was my intention from the start- so sorry if i worded it wrong 'dearie'. I got a dollar that says i live in an almost completely white town, but you ask Tia if she has a class that ethnically diverse, or any of my friends in London and you'll find that it is just as comparable- if not more, with an increased number from Eastern Europe. I was never attempting to argue that Britain has a more ethinically diverse culture- it is evidently clear that is not the case- what i was arguing was that people here who are from an extremely mixed ethnic background don't feel the need to go on and on about it whenever the opportunity arises.

*shrug*

I wasn't arguing that point with you.  To illustrate,  I am sure there ARE blacks in England, and i am sure they don't insist on calling themselves African-Europeans :)

I think the reason the US is like this is because we foster the idea of being proud of your heritage.  It's like, when you go to uni, Rosie, likely your classes will have people from ALL over England.  But when you talk to those people, you may talk about where you are from.  Your home town, city, whatever.  But your all at the same school now, no?  So should you forget about your home town?

American's pride themselves on their background and history, because it is one of the foundations of our country.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!"
 cries she With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the goden door!"

We are the huddled masses, the refuse, the homeless.  My greatgrandparents on my moms side came over on a boat from Italy with nothing but the bags on their backs and they managed to live the "American dream".

Hell, eveyone in this country has a story like that.  Of escaping poverty, opression, fear, persecution or just unhappiness to pursue a better life here. To work their asses off to make a better life.

I don't understand why ANYONE WOULDN'T be proud of heritage like that.

Edit: I downloaded that Mike Skinner song.  Funny.  But he didn't say "fittay"   :wink:

---Andrew

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2004, 09:01:03 am »
Black-British actually! *goes to hit Andrew for lumping europe together...again*

Fairy

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lilfairydotorg
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2004, 11:05:22 am »
dumb boys :roll:

PIBby

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - ckdurbin@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - IWanted19ButGot2
    • View Profile
    • http://hometown.aol.com/sanchezhouse/
    • Email
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2004, 11:19:26 am »
Like the Black-Irish! Only British O_o And African (sometimes, other times from those one islands like Jamaica and such) rather than Spanish.

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2004, 01:49:57 pm »

I think the reason the US is like this is because we foster the idea of being proud of your heritage.  It's like, when you go to uni, Rosie, likely your classes will have people from ALL over England.  But when you talk to those people, you may talk about where you are from.  Your home town, city, whatever.  But your all at the same school now, no?  So should you forget about your home town?

American's pride themselves on their background and history, because it is one of the foundations of our country.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!"
 cries she With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the goden door!"

We are the huddled masses, the refuse, the homeless.  My greatgrandparents on my moms side came over on a boat from Italy with nothing but the bags on their backs and they managed to live the "American dream".

Hell, eveyone in this country has a story like that.  Of escaping poverty, opression, fear, persecution or just unhappiness to pursue a better life here. To work their asses off to make a better life.

exactly. i've grown up with italian traditions, and i'm proud of them. i don't work it in to every conversation i have with people, but it's not something i deny either. all i know is, it explains a lot about me, like why i feel the need to eat everything pasta and garlic related, and why i can never stop talking with my hands :razz: thank God i didn't get the italian nose though....*shudders*

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2004, 04:13:38 pm »
the norweigen in me is why i'm so damn pale... grrr...
but despite that i still love my norweigen heritage!
and i look forward to going to england, poland (yeah, i'm polish, haha), and germany this summer to learn more about that part of my heritage.
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"