Poll

Do they?

Yes
2 (16.7%)
No, but you do. :(
10 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: April 01, 2004, 12:42:28 pm

Author Topic: Do the people on Full House have accents?  (Read 5728 times)

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Do the people on Full House have accents?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2004, 05:32:57 am »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
Cleanest? Does that mean it doesn't have an accent because i'm not sure you can say that. It may imply that they speak the clearest english by which to understand but does not mean they have no accent. People from Indiana MUST have an American accent. And i'll say it again if anyone doesn't have an accent here it me and Scumador. lol- SO SUCK IT UP.

Yeah... but see. Language is a STUDY.  It is a study of LETTERS and pronunciation of letters.  There is an EMPYRICALLY correct pronunciation for specific combinations of letters and words.  Sometimes there are multiple ones but there is always ATLEAST one.

But a LINGUIST knows what the technically correct way to pronounce a word is.  Therefore, a linguist knows what speaking without an accent would sound like.  And therefore, he or she can identify what an accentless voice sounds like.

So while someone from Cincinnati might sound to YOU like he or she has an accent, in reality he or she dosn't.  He or she speaks CLEARLY.  It's just accented RELATIVE to what you are used to hearing.

It's like this.  Someone plays a song and turns the volume up.  You say "WOW! THAT IS LOUD!" and you are because you are speaking from a relative perspective.  Then I walk in from being in my car where the music was even LOUDER, and I say "No, it's not.  That's not loud at all", and relatively speaking, I am right.  But an accoustic engineer can measure the dB's of that music and tell you empyrically compared to the norm as defined by the profession if the music is or is not loud.  Not a relative measure to personal experience, but a strict mathematical measure with accepted parameters and definitions.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2004, 05:56:15 am »
I agree with Rosie.  They were speaking English in England far before people from Cincinnati were speaking English at all.  Thats like you inventing a wheel, then i add a whitewall to it and say mine is original and yours is slightly abnormal.  I am williing to believe people from Cincinnati have no accent when concerned with the Americanized English system, but not when compared to the originators of the language in Europe
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2004, 09:57:43 am »
Quote from: "Logikal X"
I agree with Rosie.  They were speaking English in England far before people from Cincinnati were speaking English at all.  Thats like you inventing a wheel, then i add a whitewall to it and say mine is original and yours is slightly abnormal.  I am williing to believe people from Cincinnati have no accent when concerned with the Americanized English system, but not when compared to the originators of the language in Europe

Ummm.  Do your history homework, sweetie pie.  The ENGLISH were not the first to speak the ENGLISH language.  Nor did they invent it.  Nor did they standardize it. In fact, the way the English currently speak sounds VERY different from how the English spoke 1,000 years ago.

So the ENGLISH are just as far removed from the roots of the language as Americans are.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2004, 10:10:05 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"

Ummm.  Do your history homework, sweetie pie.  The ENGLISH were not the first to speak the ENGLISH language.  Nor did they invent it.  Nor did they standardize it. In fact, the way the English currently speak sounds VERY different from how the English spoke 1,000 years ago.

So the ENGLISH are just as far removed from the roots of the language as Americans are.

well it certainly wasnt invented in cincinnati cupcake!  So you are definitely wrong in saying they have NO accent, because they do not sound original, which you admit,...contradiction

However like i said, they may have no accent when compared to the Americanized English, so if you are speaking of strictly the USA, I am willing to believe Cincinnatti people have no accent
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

LimeTwister

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2004, 11:59:55 am »
love the bakery names ya'll got going on.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2004, 12:10:33 pm »

well it certainly wasnt invented in cincinnati cupcake!  So you are definitely wrong in saying they have NO accent, because they do not sound original, which you admit,...contradiction

However like i said, they may have no accent when compared to the Americanized English, so if you are speaking of strictly the USA, I am willing to believe Cincinnatti people have no accent

*sigh*

What I am telling you is that MANY EXPERTS SAY people in the southern ohio and eastern Indiana region speak english CLOSER to the gramatically proper pronunciation for the ENTIRE WORLDS ACCEPTED pronunciation of the English language than anywhere else in the world.

That means even BRITISH linguists accept that the majority of the English do not pronounce ENGLISH WORDS according to the proper ENGLISH pronunciation.

Hence, England has a million different accents within even 1 city.

That also means AMERICAN linguists accept that the majority of American's do not pronounce ENGLISH WORDS according to the proper ENGLISH pronunciation.

Hence, America has a million different accents within even 1 city.

This occurs because we steal so many words from other languages and sometimes we pronounce them the way they WOULD be pronounced in English and sometimes we pronounce them how they would be pronounced in their original language.

For example, Versailles is a french city pronounced like Ver-Sigh.  But the Kentucky city it is named after is pronounced VER-SAILS.

But technically, according to the rules of the English language the Kentucky pronunciation is closer to correct than what most educated people would say.

The English language is like math.  There are specific rules for correct pronunciation that we CONSTANTLY ignore.

---Andrew

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2004, 02:54:46 pm »
I think Danny Tanner has one...

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

Jophess

• View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2004, 03:08:23 pm »
I heard Cincinnati, sweetie, and cupcake. o_O

Trust me, I live in Cincinnati. There are people with accents there. *twitches* But it's mostly the people who wander up from hickland. *twitches again*
Joe

LimeTwister

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2004, 03:11:25 pm »
I thought Cincinnati was in Ohio....these whole same city different state thing needs to GO AWAY.

Jophess

• View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2004, 03:48:22 pm »
I live right across the river.
Joe

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2004, 05:02:23 pm »
Well thats just foolish souding to me.  However ill just take your word for it.  I would think the originating location of English, wherever that be, would be where proper pronunciation is derived from.  But if im wrong, no biggie  8)

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2004, 08:35:05 pm »
Well thats just foolish souding to me.  However ill just take your word for it.  I would think the originating location of English, wherever that be, would be where proper pronunciation is derived from.  But if im wrong, no biggie  8)

You'd think.

*shrug*

Remember.  This is not MY opinion.  I am just stating what I read in a business journal talking about why so many call centers and so much voice acting comes out of cincy.

But the problem with the rules of English being the saxons didn't so much have rules for how they spoke.  The rules for pronunciation were formed LONG after the language was formed.

---Andrew

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2004, 05:03:21 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"

You'd think.

*shrug*

Remember.  This is not MY opinion.  I am just stating what I read in a business journal talking about why so many call centers and so much voice acting comes out of cincy.

But the problem with the rules of English being the saxons didn't so much have rules for how they spoke.  The rules for pronunciation were formed LONG after the language was formed.

This sounds reasonable since the game is always created before the rules.