Author Topic: Is this true....  (Read 5670 times)

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
Is this true....
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 10:14:09 am »
If you take her comments in context, it was obviously a joke. I have no idea why people have gotten so worked up about an off the cuff attempt at humor.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
Is this true....
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 11:44:58 am »
That's what I've been thinking too.  If you pay attention, she likes to make fun of her own compositions.  About "Private Radio", she cornered herself and had to explain that it was not about making bombs in the middle of the night.  She said "She Floats" was a song about a dead girl, and then laughed and tried to explain that a little better and almost got lost.  She described "Half A Week Before The Winter" as depicting a fictional war between vampires and unicorns, laughed and said, "I'll give you all a moment to absorb that," and then explained that it was a metaphor.  When she introduced "A Thousand Miles", she said, "I know I'll be playing this song for the rest of my life, but that's okay because it allows me to write weird songs about vampire wars."

So, of course, she's got jokes.   :lol: Many of her comments, especially on stage, should be taken just as that. 8)
Dustin

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
Is this true....
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 01:05:47 pm »
I agree...mostly.  I mean, (1) it's not a big deal & (2) she does joke a lot about her songs.  At least she does NOW.  But if you hear recordings from before she was famous, including the one we're all discussing this thread, she seems so much more shy & just speaks in a completely different manner.  That's what it seems like to me.  So while I still think it's no big deal, I thought I'd mention I notice that difference & I think it's pretty interesting.   :D
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
Is this true....
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 08:23:05 am »
I still remember at one of her very first public performances, she started talking about getting a new couch in her apartment or something like that, and that was the intro to her next song.  It's nice to see how she has developed that tendency to ramble into a very constuctive interaction with her audience. :D
Dustin

shinessobright

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • MSN Messenger - shinessobright
    • AOL Instant Messenger - privateradiogirl
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - canyouseemyfirerain
    • View Profile
Ditty or Ditto to You
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 07:16:36 pm »
i know a ditty is a simple song, but what if it was so simple it was complicated???? lol...

i think that she might have just forgotten the lyrics, or the melody at the time...either way, this song is driving me nuts....

i have to know what it is!!!
And all the constellations shine down on you and me... and if you don't believe me, just put your hands on me...

"This is a song about relationships that are condemned either by your family, or by the government..." Vanessa Carlton about Who's to Say