Author Topic: Jewel (Kilcher)  (Read 44869 times)

clamicas

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - claricecassou@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Jewel
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2006, 12:08:41 pm »
there are some great videos @ strippedmusic.com

http://www.strippedmusic.com/arch_jewel.html

^she sounds amazing!!

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Jewel (Kilcher)
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2013, 09:42:07 am »
I just went to the first Jewel concert that I've been too since her Spirit days and I was 13.  But let me just tell you, she has gotten better than I could ever have imagined.  She is doing a greatest hits tour and has that cd out (of which I bought a signed vinyl of at the show last night in Niagara Falls, NY).
Besides her amazing talent as a singer/songwriter, what I love most about her is her honesty and the way she reaches out to her fans.  I constantly see her answering tweets or retweeting her fans.  Also, on this tour she is taking REQUESTS for songs.  She travels with a BINDER OF SONGS, so she can look up a song if she can't remember it.  Granted, she will pick ones she knows better, but she has thrown in a few she hasn't done in years (per her).  Looking at the set lists that people have posted on her website forums, she does pretty much the same material (but in a somewhat different order) with a handful different ones from audience request.  She also played for almost TWO HOURS.  She had no opening act, it was just pure her.  No band, just her and guitar. 
At this show, she opened with Near You Always (Pieces of You) which is one of my favs from that CD.  She sang a lot of older material actually about half of Pieces of You, including Adrian which made me cry (she sang it for a woman she met in the meet and greet who asked her to play it as her son had been in a coma for 10 years).  She only did I think 2 of her country songs and 2 brand new songs she has written, plus she YODELED at the end.  As far as I can see from past set lists, this is the first time she yodeled all tour!
In addition to doing all this material, they are recording each show so you can buy the CD sleeve at the merchandise table (then later put the info in and get the CD sent to you) of the show you saw!!   So no more worrying about getting the show recorded, you can just sit and enjoy!

Now, while I love Vanessa and her work...Jewel is just way more giving in terms of her fans.  At the Iheartradio show she did a few weeks ago, she said to audience "I stalk her too" or something along those lines, talking about a fan whose tweets she follows.  That's just unreal to me, especially after following the reclusive Vanessa! Don't get me wrong, I know why Vanessa does what she does, or doesn't do what she doesn't do, that's part of why I do like her as much as I do, but it was very refreshing to see Jewel, I'll just say that much.
I am just sad I can't finagle another show.  Maybe when she releases another CD which I'm sure she will, she is just full of songs, it's amazing really.
~Sara~

Rabbits_on_the_run

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2015, 12:53:45 pm »
Yes Jewel is great to her fans!!! She also made a few free shows for her fans. I was lucky enough to go to one of them in Texas back in 2011. She was like 7 or 8 months pregnant but played for 3 hours!!!!! She is amazingly talentend and nice and actually very down to earth. I love her. She has an autobiography written that will be out next september, its definitely gonna be a great read, since she's gone through so much. Plus, there's a new album - in the Pieces of you tradition, so Sarab, you might like it - on the way!

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2015, 03:13:17 pm »
Yes Jewel is great to her fans!!! She also made a few free shows for her fans. I was lucky enough to go to one of them in Texas back in 2011. She was like 7 or 8 months pregnant but played for 3 hours!!!!! She is amazingly talentend and nice and actually very down to earth. I love her. She has an autobiography written that will be out next september, its definitely gonna be a great read, since she's gone through so much. Plus, there's a new album - in the Pieces of you tradition, so Sarab, you might like it - on the way!

yes I know I am super psyched!  I follow her on twitter/instagram so she's been keeping everyone updated.  I can't wait for the album!
~Sara~

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2015, 03:34:14 pm »
The new album is out!!  Picking up the Pieces.  It. is. a. M A S T E R P I E C E  There are a few songs I skip over but she is singing to my soul in this album. it's just amazing.  her raw talent, emotion.. it's just flawless. 
Mercy is my absolute fav.  while I love the arrangement, the song, the way it's sung ,and just everything about it in general, I would love to hear ta little vanessa piano twinkling in the background.  I would also love to hear vanessa sing it/her interpretation of it.  lyrically I could hear her singing it too.  I also started reading her memoir (Never Broken), I haven't had much time to read but I love it so far.  I already found out things I didn't know. album is a must have and the book is a must read.
~Sara~

Rabbits_on_the_run

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2015, 05:19:44 am »
The new album is out!!  Picking up the Pieces.  It. is. a. M A S T E R P I E C E  There are a few songs I skip over but she is singing to my soul in this album. it's just amazing.  her raw talent, emotion.. it's just flawless. 
Mercy is my absolute fav.  while I love the arrangement, the song, the way it's sung ,and just everything about it in general, I would love to hear ta little vanessa piano twinkling in the background.  I would also love to hear vanessa sing it/her interpretation of it.  lyrically I could hear her singing it too.  I also started reading her memoir (Never Broken), I haven't had much time to read but I love it so far.  I already found out things I didn't know. album is a must have and the book is a must read.

Yes Picking up the pieces is a masterpiece!! By far my favorite Jewel album. The songwriting, the production, the voice... everything is flawless. I've also bought the book but haven't started it yet.