Author Topic: Q&A with Vanessa Carlton and the Ying Yang Twins  (Read 1380 times)

banet2001

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
Q&A with Vanessa Carlton and the Ying Yang Twins
« on: April 18, 2005, 09:06:18 am »
Q&A with Vanessa Carlton and the Ying Yang Twins

After the show, The Mercury had a chance to interview both Vanessa Carlton and the Ying Yang twins.

Kuo: How do you think your show went?

Carlton: It was fun, you know. I don't get to Dallas very often, so it was nice to really kind of get close to the people that were right in front of the stage. It's kind of a big place.

K: What did you think of the UTD audience?

C: I don't know, I haven't met any of them, but they seem like (they're) really fun, a fun crowd that was kind of having a good time listening to music - music fans.

K: You talked pretty personally with the audience. Is that the way you usually conduct your shows?

C: Yeah, it's usually in a theater setting, so it works ideally in that kind of environment.

K: You mentioned that your video "White Houses" was censored. Did it get pulled from MTV and VH1?

C: It was censored. It was just, you know, frustrating sometimes because they can pick and choose, which I don't think is fair if you want to make a statement.

K: What's changed in your music since your first hit ?

C: A lot of things. I think I am melodically more curious. I think I experiment with more chord changes.

Lyrically, I've evolved. I mean, my first couple of songs were written when I was 16, and I think as the years go by, I hope to push myself as an artist and constantly remain curious and interested and inspired.

K: Your "Punk'd" episode is airing April 17.

Any comments on the experience and what to expect?

C: Oh god, I have to see it. I haven't seen it, I'm a little scared to see it, but we'll see how it comes off.

I hope, if I remember correctly, I don't behave too badly.

I was just a little frustrated.

K: What advice do you have for UTD students who are interested in the music industry?

C: They should avoid it at all costs. I'm just kidding.

It is really about tenacity and persistence and believing in yourself no matter how many people reject you.

http://www.theutdmercury.com/news/2005/04/18/LifeArts/Qa.With.Vanessa.Carlton.And.The.Ying.Yang.Twins-927865.shtml