Author Topic: 3/31/2005: CMU - Mount Pleasant, MI (press review)  (Read 3000 times)

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
3/31/2005: CMU - Mount Pleasant, MI (press review)
« on: April 09, 2005, 09:08:53 pm »
[discussion]

Carlton provides relaxing concert for students

By Khristopher J. Brooks
Central Michigan Life

April 01, 2005

The lights went out and all that could be seen was a slim silhouette walking toward the middle of the stage.

Singer and songwriter Vanessa Carlton began her first song surrounded by pastel purple stagelights and white satin curtains. This set a mellow atmosphere for Thursday’s concert in Warriner Hall’s Plachta Auditorium.

Among the 720 people in attendance were Marine City sophomore Noah Hauke and Michigan State University sophomore Chelsea Hannert.

“I’ve never seen her live, but I’m (hoping) for a good performance,” Hannert said. “I know she’s awesome on the piano.”

Hauke and Hannert listened to Carlton play some of her hit songs including “Ordinary Day”.

“This is one of the first songs I ever finished in one sitting,” Carlton said while on stage in her black dress in brown trim.

There were two pianos on stage for Carlton and her opening singing captivated the audience. Carlton played music from her latest album, “Harmonium,” and her previous one, “Be Not Nobody.”

“Her music is soothing and very peaceful,” Bad Axe freshman Natalie Benda said.

Benda said she wanted to relax during Carlton’s concert.

“This is definitely a girls’ night out because none of our guy friends would come with us,” she said.

Before Carlton’s performance, California-based band Raining Jane entertained the audience for 45 minutes.

“So we recently quit our day jobs, so that’s exciting and now we’re totally broke,” said Chaska Potter, Raining Jane guitarist.

The group played songs from their new album, “Diamond Lane.” Some of the songs played included “Fashionable” and “Wyoming Sky.” They also played covers from Bob Marley and Aaliyah.

One of their songs was a tribute to 9/11 survivors.

“We wrote it as a response to the things that were happening so this goes out to all the people who suffered in the tragedies,” said percussionist Mona Tavakoli.

Article From Central Michigan Life Website
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

LostDwarf

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Now Found!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bionicledwarf
    • View Profile
    • Email
3/31/2005: CMU - Mount Pleasant, MI (press review)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 06:21:08 am »
eh so so
.........the one and only!