Author Topic: What Book Should I Read Next?  (Read 8822 times)

All I Ask2003

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kyyyyyy
    • View Profile
What Book Should I Read Next?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2005, 09:10:22 am »
ALL the books in the Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging series, by Louise Rennison. SO funny.
sig & av by natalie, thank you!

JazzyManda

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JazzyTrumpet07
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2005, 10:14:20 am »
Well I just read Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire, which is the book the musical is based off of. I thought it was pretty good.

Now I'm reading Scarlet Letter (somebody shoot me). It's amazing how long you can talk about a door...

Amanda

TSE

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • MSN Messenger - somniloquence@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TSE455
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i88bugs@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2005, 10:25:10 am »
Quote from: "JazzyManda"
Well I just read Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire, which is the book the musical is based off of. I thought it was pretty good.

I read that last summer and enjoyed it, but thought it was odd how they kept jumping seven years (was it seven?) ahead.  The musical made it seem like 3 days or so!  Though I guess that's what happens, and there were MANY other differences, Boq's identity, Fieryo having a wife, Nessarose having no arms and not bone problems. . . very different.  The musical was so fun and the book was do dark.

JazzyManda

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JazzyTrumpet07
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2005, 10:54:02 am »
Quote from: "TSE"
Quote from: "JazzyManda"

I read that last summer and enjoyed it, but thought it was odd how they kept jumping seven years (was it seven?) ahead.  The musical made it seem like 3 days or so!  Though I guess that's what happens, and there were MANY other differences, Boq's identity, Fieryo having a wife, Nessarose having no arms and not bone problems. . . very different.  The musical was so fun and the book was do dark.

yeah, see, I haven't seen the musical yet. It's coming here to St. Louis in November so I hope to see it then. But yeah, from what I hear the musical doesn't use the same details in the book such as Nessarose's having no arms etc.  But I really enjoyed how the author came up with explanations for everything in the movie, like the monkey's wings and the red shoes..

Amanda

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2005, 12:11:11 pm »
right now i'm re-reading the harry potter series. i'm on the fourth, but i don't think i'll be able to reread the 5th before the 6th book comes out :-P

i've only gotten half way through wicked...i was reading my friend's copy and then we left for college :-P i want to see the musical more than anything though!

Zloska_of_yy

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • MSN Messenger - ernstkuiper@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - yesteryearzloska
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2005, 10:57:50 am »
some of my favourites:
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (silly, funny and shocking)
Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (just a wow)
and if you're up for a challenge:
To the Lighthouse or Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (complex, but very rewarding)
"If it all went away, nothing left to say, oh would you fight it or would you lay down."

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2005, 11:24:01 am »
Virginia Woolf is one of my favorite authors!

stream of consciousness isn't so much challenging as it is dull ... it tends to drag on, but i LOVE the way VW uses it to her advantage. To The Lighthouse is amazing, as is A Room Of One's Own.

Zloska_of_yy

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • MSN Messenger - ernstkuiper@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - yesteryearzloska
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2005, 07:47:09 am »
haven't read A room of one's own yet, but I have read The Waves which began to get boring after a while (or maybe I just didn't understand it well enough). I still have to read Orlando and The Years, but I got a load of books to read before I can begin reading those. And I want to reread some of my old books.......ooooh so many books so little time.
"If it all went away, nothing left to say, oh would you fight it or would you lay down."