Author Topic: V's most difficult song on piano?  (Read 20124 times)

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
V's most difficult song on piano?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005, 10:58:47 am »
The only thing that was difficult about White Houses was getting my fingers to stretch far enough to actually play it (I have small hands).
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

maag

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2005, 11:31:55 am »
Well, I'm 13 and I can play it perfectly. What is your fingers extension? My extension is about 8 notes.

amberbeads

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2005, 11:38:06 am »
i can just barely play 9.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2005, 02:01:08 pm »
When I learned ATM I thought it was hard, but I'd never played piano before, lol.... Now it's easy and I guess if I discovered it today and tried to play it I'd see it's easy... The only even interesting part of the song to play is the riff... the chorus and verses are just kinda eh.

I think San Francisco is the most tiresome song to play; even though its not hard my hand is just like come on this is too monotonous. I hate playing that song, it's not even interesting.

If anyone knows the song, I've found "As You Sleep" by Something Corporate to be really GOOD for hand excercise. The chorus used to be too fast for me to play bc it's a whole octave extension unlike wanted or most V songs. I had to work myself up to being able to play that fast with my thumb and pinky an octave apart paddling back and forth (well, it feels like paddling). I figured I'd never be able to do it since he's a boy and probably has bigger hands, but I practiced a bit and now I can do it and it's really good as a warm-up. Plus it's a really pretty song :)

beerto

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2005, 03:01:38 pm »
I agree with you noelle...san francisco makes my hands sooooooooooo tired... especially after you repeat the verses over and over .....

carachan

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2005, 03:30:01 pm »
I think White Houses is hard.  Not the notes.  Just, by the time I get to the bridge, my arms/wrists are KILLING me.  -__-;;;  SO hard to play because of that.  Doesn't help that I have a habit of playing Wanted and then White Houses.  So my wrists are just...owwww...

But yeah, hardest to play, notewise, for me is Papa.  I'm not familiar with the key, plus the rhythm is weird at some parts.  I've got my own version which is slightly off/improvised, but it's REALLY hard to play like her.

maag

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2005, 01:21:19 am »
Quote from: "amberbeads"
i can just barely play 9.

Barely? I'd like to play 9! It's incredible. In June I could just play 7, but this summer my fingers grow and now I can play 8, but it's not better. What can you play with that extension? If a could play 9 I'd play songs like The way it is (Bruce Hornsby and the range).
Anyway, to play Vanessa's songs with 7 notes it's enough.

amberbeads

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2005, 05:43:53 am »
Oh, we're not on the same page. I meant I can play an interval of 9, which would be one more than an octave. But I can only BARELY play it.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way

VanessaPiana

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2005, 12:27:57 pm »
Some people haven't developed their muscles to the point where they can do that kind of thing at the required speed.[/quote]

well, not long ago, i though i would never learn the song, [b/c the there were so many sixteenth and eighth notes mixed together, not to meniton that there were so far apart, considering my small, slender hands] but i know the entire song now, and i've even improvised some, b/c i don't know the exact notes; i'll have to go to VanessaCarlton.info to check out the notes on the more accurate transcribsion of 'A Thousand Miles' that someone cooked up. some of the notes i learned from her video.

but one day, i decided to learn that song that i printed out 9 months before, b/c i was determine to learn it, if it was the last thing i do. and one day i decided to learn it, and it just came to me, just like that, much to my suprise. i could learn it; it just wasn't time. and now, i love playing it so much, i play it over and over. and i have to say, you get quite a workout playing that song, b/c of all of it's fast notes. but i love it though, even though i have probably drove the janitors and other folks that come  to the music building [b/c i don't have a piano at home] on a regular basis crazy.

even one of the janitors told me that i did great on the song, b/c she recognized it from the motion picture [that was released last summer] 'White Chicks', but didn't know who sang it, so i told her who did, since she didn't know who sang it, much less who Vanessa Carlton is [much to my embarassement.] but i was flattered and said 'thank you'.

but it only took me only a couple of weeks to learn the song, and it probably didn't take long, b/c i've heard it a zillion times over the past few years, and have wanted to play the song on piano for just as long, and i finally have! if you told me back in '02 that i would have, then i woulda thought you was crazy. :)

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2005, 01:46:22 pm »
I always find it easier and definitely way more fun to learn a song I'm interested in :)

JazzyManda

• AOL Instant Messenger - JazzyTrumpet07
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2005, 05:59:45 pm »
lol. If Vanessa songs make your hands tired you guys need to bulk up...
one word... Hanon

I play #'s 1-8 consecutavely at  a quarter note=100. Now that's tiring..

Amanda

whitehouses81680

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2005, 06:45:26 pm »
i have just recently learned how to play ATM and boy do my wrists ache after im done!!! The part when she sings AND I NEED YOU, AND I MISS YOU, you hear the violins tripple the notes, but when she plays it on sessions on AOL and in live preformances, she holds the notes. Don't know what to do....

what do u all think

maag

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2005, 01:10:35 am »
In the house of blues (2002) she tripples the notes.

zurielshimon

• AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2005, 01:12:51 am »
Quote from: "whitehouses81680"
i have just recently learned how to play ATM and boy do my wrists ache after im done!!! The part when she sings AND I NEED YOU, AND I MISS YOU, you hear the violins tripple the notes, but when she plays it on sessions on AOL and in live preformances, she holds the notes. Don't know what to do....

what do u all think

I've heard her play it both ways solo, but she never triples the notes when she's playing with accompaniment.  In fact, she never tripled those notes until after the 'Be not Nobody' version of the song was recorded, where the strings do so.  The version from 'Rinse' did not triple those notes.  I think we can thank Ron Fair for that little addition. :wink:
Dustin

Prophetic

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • MSN Messenger - bewildered_chaos@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - swallowmytruth
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - omgwhatanight
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2005, 06:13:11 am »
I'm sorry, but playing piano shouldn't make your hands/arms sore if you're using the right muscles. You have to like, use your arm to weigh into the keys.  :oops: I don't know how to describe, I just know I was taught that way. Wanted is the closest I get to being sore.
language is an annoying neccesity..