Author Topic: the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 9732 times)

kev222

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2005, 07:34:27 am »
Quote from: "zurielshimon"
Yes, it's just like the difference between getting all the notes right and making the audience feel it.  Listen to Led Zeppelin and all the notes Jimmy Page plain blows in a hard-and-fast solo (and you can't tell me they're all supposed to be like that) but then consider him as an artist who can really get people in a groove (regardless of the fact that he's been making tons of money doing it as well).

Exactly!

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2005, 01:11:27 am »
Quote from: "kev222"
Yes, it's just like the difference between getting all the notes right and making the audience feel it.  Listen to Led Zeppelin and all the notes Jimmy Page plain blows in a hard-and-fast solo (and you can't tell me they're all supposed to be like that) but then consider him as an artist who can really get people in a groove (regardless of the fact that he's been making tons of money doing it as well).

Exactly!

Although, obviously, getting all the notes right and making the audience feel it are not mutually exclusive (I'm not saying you thought they were). Some people subscribe to the idea that technical proficiency somehow compromises feeling. But a technically procificient musician can always play 'badly' on purpose if the feeling of the music requires it. The opposite direction is not possible.

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2005, 08:32:41 am »
Absolutely.  While you don't have to be a great musician to be popular, it's hard to be popular if you just plain suck.  Can I say suck?  Anyway, I think it would be safe to say that Vanessa moves a lot of us with her music, despite the fact that she has trouble remembering lyrics on stage. 8)

But you're right, a technically perfect performance can still be moving as long as there is emotion in the music and it's not just a mechanically played robot rendition.
Dustin

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2005, 09:46:01 am »
it's hard to be popular if you just plain suck.

A cursory inspection of the top ten in this country indicates otherwise. heh.

Plain suck + enough marketing + impressionable idiots = popular.

But yeah, outside the sphere of modern day chart music, I agree.

zurielshimon

• View Profile
the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2005, 09:52:55 am »
Okay, okay, so... It's okay to suck as long as you have backup singers and/or musicians cleverly produced to make you sound good.  You can still be popular. :razz:
Dustin

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2005, 10:24:42 pm »

I always thought Page played great but sloppy as all hell.  A good argument for NOT knocking back a case of Budweiser before      hitting "record". Witness "D'Yer MaK'r"....

Can't believe I posted in here 2 years ago.  What I said about the Fabs goes double for me now, as well!

zurielshimon

• View Profile
the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2006, 10:38:38 am »
What do you think about it when a newer artist/band brings in transparent influence from the Beatles?  And by that, I don't mean copy or rip off or mock.  I mean, when a band truly means to capture the spirit of a Beatles style with the bass style we remember Paul for, the lead guitar style we remember George for, the piano styles we remember both Paul and John for, and the drumming styles we remember from Ringo.

I'll cite a couple of examples:  I know some of you probably hate the band Jet with all your soul, but "Look What You've Done" borrows extensively and ever-so-obviously from the Beatles.  And listen to "Something To Sleep To" by Michelle Branch.  If you dismiss the fact that Michelle's voice sounds nothing like Paul McCartney, it's not hard to pretend you're listening to the real thing in many parts.
Dustin

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2006, 02:56:46 pm »
I love Beatle-ish sounding things.  Doesn't bother me in the least.  I think the world would be a better place if people put more emphasis on melody(as the Beatles did) and less on slick dance grooves......just my opinion.

Dan/NS

Sharona PianoBea

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • PianoBea Music
the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2006, 07:41:02 am »
Golden Slumbers......... :D   *heart*
"We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams."

www.pianobea.com
www.yoursharona.com

Sharona PianoBea

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • PianoBea Music
the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2006, 07:52:24 am »
You gotta hear their less widely-known stuff (not the so-called "hits") to really appreciate their talent.

Listen to "Golden Slumbers", "In My Life", "The Long and Winding Road", "Blackbird", and "A Day in the Life", and "Something".  Beautiful!
"We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams."

www.pianobea.com
www.yoursharona.com

zurielshimon

• View Profile
the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2006, 06:55:15 am »
"Strawberry Fields Forever" has always been something of a theme song to me. :infinity:
Dustin