Author Topic: If you produced Vanessa....  (Read 3615 times)

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
If you produced Vanessa....
« on: March 01, 2006, 07:43:58 am »
What would you do? (also posted at the O-board)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember that a producer does, among other things:

--helps pick the songs, even co-writing when necessary
--picks the studio and people to play on the album
--gets the performance from the artist onto tape(or disk)

What kind of direction would you go in? More of a BNN, or maybe more Avril-like pop? Vanessa is at a crossroads here, so there are no wrong answers.

Dan/NS

Jophess

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 01:25:10 pm »
Hmm... I would definitely have three really radio-friendly songs and then the rest of the album be a lot darker, maybe even with a more rock tone. I would have Vanessa try some different tones than what she's done before, instumentally. Have a guitar/vocal song. Use a horn section instead of her usual string ensemble on one or two tracks. Have her hit more high notes (spend more time in the A-C area) because I love that stuff.

Dunno. Good thread, though.
Joe

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 04:40:42 pm »
Quote from: "Jophess"
Hmm... I would definitely have three really radio-friendly songs and then the rest of the album be a lot darker, maybe even with a more rock tone. I would have Vanessa try some different tones than what she's done before, instumentally. Have a guitar/vocal song. Use a horn section instead of her usual string ensemble on one or two tracks. Have her hit more high notes (spend more time in the A-C area) because I love that stuff.

Dunno. Good thread, though.

I agree with most of this.  I would really like at least 3 truly dark songs.  And I don't think I would count the most recent one we've heard as 'truly dark' because of the happy ending.  I'd like a few songs that are even more ominous than that.

I'd also like a few radio friendly songs, like Harmonium, and I'd really like to hear Vanessa do a rock song.  I love the way her voice sounded on the rock stuff she did with The Counting Crows at that one concert.

I'm tone deaf, so I can't really say anything about horns and strings or the pitch of her voice, but that sounds interesting.

What I want most of all is that at least half of her tracks be provacative, edgy or even contraversial.  I haven't heard anything that would fall into this category yet, but it would make sense that she would use the more audience friendly love songs live and not anything that has a chance of alienating anyone.

I'm sure whatever she, Linda and Stephan decide is gonna ROCK! 8)

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 04:03:51 pm »
This is a cool thread. Everyone has great ideas.

If I were Vanessa's producer, I'd  first make sure that my vision for her is her vision too.  I would definitely want to really showcase the darker side to her music. Her new songs are all fantastic, and all convey either a sadness or intensity that would really fit around the new dark songs I would encourage her to write. I would also encourage her to include older songs- Morning Sting, Ameriteen, Birdie. (Of course, if she would rather move on, that's cool too.) I would recommend more use of an electric guitar, whilst still focusing on the piano, and having all other instruments just complement her beautiful playing.

From all her new songs, what would you guys choose as a first single from a marketing point, and why?  *so intrigued*
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 04:51:29 pm »
I also think it would be really cool if there was like a ten minute purely instrumental track.  Vanessa is classically trained, and I'd like to hear a longer composition by her.  It would be a cool thing to mix in their with her pop tracks.  It could really set the tone of the album. 8)

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 12:07:13 am »
An instrumental would be very cool. It would really showcase her talents on piano- often when she is singing, people pay more attention to her voice than to what she is playing underneath.

Any predictions on her next single? Maybe Best Behavior? It's very catchy & an interesting take on a break up. What do you guys think?
-CONFUCIUS

PutYourHandsOnMe101

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com
yeAH...
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 04:30:54 pm »
:lol:  Her next single will probably be either PYHOM or Best Behavior... at least those are the ones that I would choose from for a lead single... The One and All is Well might make good singles too but when you've only heard 5 of the songs on the album it's kinda hard to pick... I think this time around V will have huge success    :D
and if you don't believe me... just Put Your Hands On Me

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 04:41:08 pm »
Well for "Harmonium", I would have done this:

"White Houses" - A great first single. Nice video.

"Who's To Say"/"Annie" - These would have been a double A side. The video for "WTS" would have been a story performance, same with "Annie", which would have been focused on a girl in a hospital.

"Private Radio" - A great single! This would have been heavily promoted too and released in the summer

"Afterglow" - A music video from a concert, but with a band and everything.

-----

Vanessa would have promoted on EVERY show, and done TRL appearances, etc.

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 11:40:25 pm »
That's cool. My question is, why aren't we employed to do all the promotions stuff, seeing all the "professionals" aren't doing their job? Lol.  :roll:
-CONFUCIUS

musicnotex

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
yeah..
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 12:32:59 am »
yeah youre right..its really sad to see that her record company wasnt doing much to promote harmonium...hopefully the 3rd album will be much better!

hmmm. im new here, so from a newbie's perspective, i'd release really radio friendly (eg private radio and afterglow) singles, but leave the rest of the album as it is.

id also like to release an acoustic/unplugged cd..cos i think it really showcases her talent most when its just her and the piano, no tricks..

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 11:12:01 pm »
Yeah. Like a live cd, like the bootlegs that are circulating, except recorded professionally. That'd be so great.
-CONFUCIUS

musicnotex

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 07:10:36 am »
Quote from: "MeganJane"
Yeah. Like a live cd, like the bootlegs that are circulating, except recorded professionally. That'd be so great.

yeah exactly! i find it a bit sad that fans like us have to go to great lengths to get her demo stuff/rinse stuff etc...i think it should just be released, so we can support her and buy them! maybe along with some professionally recorded live stuff?