Author Topic: Eurovision  (Read 4476 times)

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
Eurovision
« on: May 25, 2003, 08:42:20 am »
Well a lot of you Americans will have no idea what Eurovision is...my my you are missing out. HAHA

The Eurovision song contest is a contest watched by millions all over Europe and each country enters a song (they are often very cheesy, very crap but hey! thats Eurovision for ya!), then the whole of europe can vote on which song they want to win- which is usually the one which has a gimmick i.e this year Turkey won cos they had belly dancers. lol, in England it is a Huge piss-take and the commentator is always so mean- he has been banned from SO many countries in Europe!

T.a.t.u were Russia's entry this year and they got booed whenever they got points! And the Spanish entry was very important to nerea and me because its a huge song there! So suprisingly this year there were a few okay songs, if you want a taste of the tatt and class that comes from Eurovision d/l:

This year's Winner- the Turkish Entry- Serteb Enner-Everyway that i can

The Icelandic Entry- Birgitta-Open your heart
The Spanish Entry-Beth- Dime (this should've won! *shakes fist*)
The French Entry-Louisa- Monts et merveilles
"I'm all about the wordplay."

ScOrPiO

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • ICQ Messenger - 167428860
    • MSN Messenger - apocalyptys@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thehauntedcrow
    • View Profile
have u seen it?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 09:24:21 am »
Belgium was second!!! (and i thought we always anded up last) probly just a lucky shot this year.

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
Re: have u seen it?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 09:36:53 am »
Quote from: "ScOrPiO"
Belgium was second!!! (and i thought we always anded up last) probly just a lucky shot this year.

As Terry Wogan put it "You have four languages and you sang in an imaginary one". hehe

neos

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Prat Twin #1
    • AOL Instant Messenger - superneos
    • View Profile
Re: Eurovision
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2003, 09:55:03 am »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
T.a.t.u were Russia's entry this year and they got booed whenever they got points!

Haha I was so happy they were booed, they thought they'd win! And their song was such a rubbish song - if they hadn't been there singing it it wouldn't have had that many votes, I'm sure

The Spanish Entry-Beth- Dime (this should've won! *shakes fist*)

True!! SO true!! Backing vocals were horrible though, they just screwed up the song by adding them!

there's only four seasons
and this one's almost gone
these nights feel so good
but this one's almost gone

vive-la-france

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • ICQ Messenger - 165806753
    • MSN Messenger - Thomas2405831
    • View Profile
    • http://perso.club-internet.fr/alain.rouchaud
Eurovision
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2003, 12:30:13 pm »
i think belgium should have won (the celtic or kind of celtic origin was nice )not Turkey it was just a political vote as for the UK 0 points (sorry Rosie :? )

The french song was not a good song for Eurovision i think it was a nice song but it was not appropriate for Eurovision. People are bored with all those kind of songs.

Moreover i am upset that almost of countries sang in english !!!!!!!!
they should sing in their own language, it permit us to discover their language and what it sound like , they have a very bad accent cuz it's not their maternal language
Thomas aka Dr Doolittle

neos

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #1
    • View Profile
Eurovision
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2003, 01:50:18 pm »
Quote from: "vive-la-france"
i think belgium should have won (the celtic or kind of celtic origin was nice )not Turkey it was just a political vote as for the UK 0 points (sorry Rosie :? )

I don't think Belgium should have won! The song wasn't the typical eurovision song, catchy, dancey and all that... I was surprised it got that far, I honestly thought it'd get very few points, I still don't understand. I personally think Iceland should have won, or Spain, or even Holland, but none of the top 3 countries deserved as many votes as they got

The french song was not a good song for Eurovision i think it was a nice song but it was not appropriate for Eurovision. People are bored with all those kind of songs.

That's true, but then again neither was the song from Belgium or the Norwegian one and they got really far

they should sing in their own language, it permit us to discover their language and what it sound like , they have a very bad accent cuz it's not their maternal language

couldn't agree more on that! what is it with countries singing in English?? makes it easier to like a song, but then isn't Eurovision about showing a country's music to the rest of Europe? That means singing in your own language, even if it sounds weird and makes it difficult for ppl to relate to... C'mon, Poland singing in Russian & German? Ukraine having a song called "Hasta la vista"?? Wth? That's just a strategy to win more votes, not to take fair part in the contest

vive-la-france

• View Profile
Eurovision
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2003, 02:03:23 pm »
Quote from: "neos"
couldn't agree more on that! what is it with countries singing in English?? makes it easier to like a song, but then isn't Eurovision about showing a country's music to the rest of Europe? That means singing in your own language, even if it sounds weird and makes it difficult for ppl to relate to... C'mon, Poland singing in Russian & German? Ukraine having a song called "Hasta la vista"?? Wth? That's just a strategy to win more votes, not to take fair part in the contest

yep Nerea is right
it's what i summarized :wink:

The austrian singer was fun  :lol:
Iceland song was just like all others songs : love song , same rythm , same music
I thought i heard the same song 26 times  :evil:
PS:perdon señorita pero no pienso que la cancion española era that great  :oops: but the spanish singer was cute as all spanish girls  :D

Can someone explain me why T.A.T.U was allowed to sing for Russia in Eurovision ?
Thomas aka Dr Doolittle

neos

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #1
    • View Profile
Eurovision
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2003, 02:12:53 pm »
Here's the results for the ESC 2003:

4     Turkey - Sertab Erener - Everyway that I can (167) 1        
22   Belgium - Urban Trad - Sanomi (165) 2          
11   Russia - Tatu - Ne ver', ne bojsia (164) 3          
18   Norway - Jostein Hasselgård - I'm not afraid to move on (123) 4        
25   Sweden -  Fame - Give me your love (107) 5          
2     Austria Alf Poier - Weil der Mensch zählt (101) 6
20   Poland - Ich Troje - Bez granic (90) 7          
12   Spain - Beth - Dime (81) 8  :wink:        
1     Iceland - Birgitta Haukdal - Open your heart (81) 9    
24   Romania Nicola - Don't break my heart (73) 10          
3     Ireland - Mickey Harte - We've got the World (53) 11            
10   Germany - Lou - Let's get happy (53) 12          
14   Holland - Esther Hart - One more night (45) 13    
16   Ukraine Oleksandr Ponomaryev - Hasta la vista (30) 14      
8    Croatia Claudia Beni - Vise nisam tvoja (29) 15        
6    Bosnia Mija Martina - Ne brini (27) 16    
17   Greece Mando - Never let you go (25) 17          
19   France Louisa Baileche - Monts et merveilles (19) 18        
13   Israel Lior Narkis - Milim la'ahava (17) 19          
9    Cyprus Stelios Konstantas - Feeling alive (15) 20    
23   Estonia Rufus - Eighties Coming Back (14) 21          
7    Portugal Rita Guerra - Deixa-me sonhar (13) 22            
26   Eslovenia Karmen Stavec - Nanana (7) 23    
21   Latvia - F.L.Y. - Hello from Mars (5) 24          
5   Malta - Lynn Chircop - To dream again (4) 25          
15   United Kingdom - Jemini - Cry baby (0) 26        

Numbers on the left are the position in which they came out. Numbers in brackets are the number of points that country got. And numbers on the right are the position in which they ended.

vive-la-france

• View Profile
Eurovision
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2003, 02:19:21 pm »
14 countries on a total of 26 sang in english  = 54 %

it was the Englishvison Song Contest
Thomas aka Dr Doolittle

neos

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #1
    • View Profile
Eurovision
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2003, 02:22:05 pm »
PS:perdon señorita pero no pienso que la cancion española era that great  :oops: but the spanish singer was cute as all spanish girls  :D

well you're entitled to your own opinion  :wink: but i have to say, i was surprised at how bad it sounded with those backing vocals. Rosie's heard the original version (LOL and probably remembers some weird ppl dancing to it in a peculiar situation) and I guess she'll agree with me when I say it sounds much better! Seriously they just screwed it up with those singers, argh!

Can someone explain me why T.A.T.U was allowed to sing for Russia in Eurovision ?

Anybody is allowed to represent their country (or even a diff country than yours, look at Celine Dion representing Switzerland ages ago! and she even won!), it doesn't matter if they're already famous, the only condition is that the song must be written specifically for the contest, it can't be a song that's already been released. The thing with T.a.T.u. representing Russia is weird because usually singers who are already famous don't want to take part in Eurovision because in many countries it's not prestigious (though in most of eastern europe it is, hence the case of Russia and T.a.T.u) and doesn't create a good image of whoever goes there, esp if they don't win. That's in countries like Spain, and I guess France, Holland, the UK (?), and western Europe in general. I personally think T.a.T.u thought they'd win without any effort just cos it was them even with a song as rubbish as theirs. Well good on them they didn't! Ha!

vive-la-france

• View Profile
Eurovision
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2003, 11:49:04 pm »
Thanks Nerea  i thought "professional" singers were not allowed to participate.

We should look for a rock group in France for the next year contest to rock everybody socks (strange expression)

I agree with the fact that the vocals behind the spanish girl sounded bad

the turkish song just gave me a headache with her washing-machine voice
i thought she was screaming after the cameraman or perhaps just after her microphone, and her friends around her sounded awfuller : that's the point of view of everybody around me here , even my dog was horrified by the sound that escaped from TV  8O
Were can i listen to the original version of "Dime" ? to see what you are talking about.
Next year the contest will be on 2 days because there will be about 30 countries  8O
Thomas aka Dr Doolittle

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
Eurovision
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2003, 02:58:05 am »

That is very true. Here Eurovision is just a complete joke and so we would never enter anybody remotely famous into the competition. We did once enter the Australian singer Gina G though!! lol, and we lost so badly but a) she couldn't sing and b) we were in the war- could anything else be more against us? lol

oh and Neri: the songs are nearly always mucked up by clashing backing singer harmonies- my friend hannah who is amazing at music said that harmonies are designed to sound like that but rarely do well.

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
Eurovision
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2003, 03:00:36 am »
Next year the contest will be on 2 days because there will be about 30 countries  8O

is that true? the bottom five countries get relegated each year now, so that can't be right- they are trying to weedle down the number each year. We won't ever be thrown out though because we give so much money, its kinda crap yet kinda cool. lol

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
Eurovision
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 06:00:17 am »
2006's preliminary final saw 24 go through; the most impressive was Ukraine
represented by Tina Karol with Show Me Your Love; MP3 d/l available here :thumbsup:

The 10 that qualified for the final are listed here with their random seeding #

10. Russia
11. FYR Macedonia
13. Bosnia-Herzegovina
14. Lithuania
17. Finland
18. Ukraine
21. Ireland
22. Sweden
23. Turkey
24. Armenia