Author Topic: Musical Software Discussion & Review  (Read 2958 times)

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Musical Software Discussion & Review
« on: June 09, 2007, 07:24:17 pm »
There are a lot of different programs out there.  If you are using software for various musical applications share them here.  Let us know what it is generally used for.  If you have anything you are already sharing(or a generic recording illustrating what the program can do,)  let us listen to an example.  You never know if someone might share something you could use for better or more cost effective use with the same quality.

Also, if you are thinking of using a certain program inquire here as well.  Someone else might already be using it/have used it and can give you a heads up on their experience with it.

The more we share the more we all know.

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Martha Stewart!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - stephlava2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stephaniepressman
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 02:59:57 pm »
i use garage band - with the right set-up - it comes out great - spend your money on mics and interfaces and use garageband that comes with you computer

tylor2000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 03:19:43 pm »
I have Mixcraft 3.  I haven't been really using it because I don't have anything to mix at the moment.  I want to get a composing software package but they are usually expensive from what I've seen. you know like Sibelius, ect.,

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 04:45:25 pm »
My main workhorse for music is Finale. I use it mostly for transcribing and arranging music, along with some light sequencing. I like the autotranscription features which records what I play on a keyboard or a monophonic instrument by use of a microphone. The Garritan Personal Orchestra that it ships with is awesome. I might upload some samples after I'm done with finals. A big downside to it, however, is that the interface sucks. Oh... and it's expensive, but hey... I didn't pay for it. It's in the labs at school.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

tylor2000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 05:11:29 pm »
I've been thinking of installing Linux on my pc for a long time on a partition.  I've also been reading articles like this: http://www.keyboardmag.com/story.asp?storycode=17973

Does anyone use these to make music?  I'm going to download Linux onto my computer in the next week and try it out.  I'll let you know what I come up with.  My problem is I always couldn't decide which Linux distribution to choose.  I guess I could have 15 partitions on my hard drive.  :razz: Before I really never had the space for anything crazy like that, but with 150 GB, with how I use my hard drive, I have plenty of space(compared to just a few GB.)

superscientific

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • Bang Bang?
    • MSN Messenger - superscientific@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - superscientific
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - superscientific
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 02:24:41 pm »
I agree with Steph.  I use garageband for alot of my recordings and it comes out fantastic.  You really need to master the music on another program but for raw recording and demo purposes it works really well.  I just stepped up to logic express and eventually I will move up to Logic Pro if needed.

"you fake like a smile...like a hug I'm tight" - Common "Hungry"
Check out Missy Higgins Music Now!
Myspace!

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • holly golightly meets vampira goth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - strongxlikemusic
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/jessicacordero
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 11:00:58 am »
i use garage band, my recordings are on: myspace.com/jessicacordero
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
-Ludwig van Beethoven

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 12:46:32 pm »
Linux is good for random geekery, but I don't think there is much in the way of mature DAW stuff on there. Multichannel sound is currently somewhat of a clusterfuck, unfortunately.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne