Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain  (Read 5899 times)

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Brokeback Mountain
« on: December 13, 2005, 04:44:19 am »
Direced by Ang Lee and stars Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Williams, and Anne Hathaway.

An epic love story set against the sweeping vistas of Wyoming and Texas, Brokeback Mountain tells the story of two young men - a ranch-hand and a rodeo cowboy - who meet in the summer of 1963, and unexpectedly forge a lifelong connection, one whose complications, joys and tragedies provide a testament to the endurance and power of love.

I heard about this film, probably, about a year ago when it was being filmed.  Now, it's getting excellent reviews and all sorts of awards.  It's being called the best film of the year by American Film Institute, Los Angeles Film Critics Association, Broadcast Film Critics Association and Boston Film Critics Association.

Not even released wide yet, the film is setting records in limited release: From IMDB: Controversial new western Brokeback Mountain has broken 2005 box office records by scoring the highest per-screen average take for any film released. The film, featuring Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger as secret gay lovers, opened in just five cinemas in New York City, Los Angeles and San Francisco and took in an estimated three-day box office total of $544,549 - an average of $109,000 per screen. The film opens all across America on Friday. The film was named the year's Best Movie by the Los Angeles Film Critics Association on Saturday. The film's director, Ang Lee, was also named Best Director.

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 05:50:49 am »
Read the original short story by Annie Proulx.  It's in a collection of stories about Wyoming called Close Range.  I saw it this weekend and it is amazing, bring tissues!
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 02:22:23 pm »
I'm a big fan of Ang Lee, my fave being THE ICE STORM.  Having said that, it seems like every so often, a "controversial" film gets pumped up by the media(say, "The Crying Game"), and that controversy and critical jizz can sometimes overshadow the movie itself.  I'm hoping that this movie is a welcome departure from that.

Dan/NS

Manda

• View Profile
Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 01:17:43 pm »
its a gay love story...I think I might just go see it. I can't picture those too hot men (Jake and Heath) making out though   8O

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

Gina

• View Profile
Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 05:11:56 pm »
I really want to see it!  I saw the previews for it and... I think it's a must see.
Gina
.She'd do anything to sparkle in his eye.

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 10:36:52 am »
So I watched this movie last night. Not really sure what made it so great. It was even barely ok. It was sad yeah that they couldn't be together. The best part was when Ennis' wife saw them kissing and she didn't even say anything. Man, I would have died.

thirdmovement

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 12:48:12 am »
Quote from: "eclv"
So I watched this movie last night. Not really sure what made it so great. It was even barely ok. It was sad yeah that they couldn't be together. The best part was when Ennis' wife saw them kissing and she didn't even say anything. Man, I would have died.

crap! way to be honest. that rocks.  see, I didn't like it the first time, but the second time I cried  :cry:  boo hoo. My favorite part is probably that little tizzy when jake's character said "no TV until after you finish eating." oh and that electric knife the other family used to cut the turkey.

Rick

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
  • building up falling apart—
    • AOL Instant Messenger - j3llyb0nes
    • View Profile
    • blog
Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 08:37:08 pm »
i wanna see that movie.

Rick

• View Profile
    • blog
Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 08:38:07 pm »
Quote from: "beforethedawn"
i wanna see that movie.

of course my father wouldn't approve of me seeing a gay love story.

Rick

• View Profile
    • blog
Re: Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 08:38:41 pm »
Quote from: "BWilli"
Direced by Ang Lee and stars Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Williams, and Anne Hathaway.

An epic love story set against the sweeping vistas of Wyoming and Texas, Brokeback Mountain tells the story of two young men - a ranch-hand and a rodeo cowboy - who meet in the summer of 1963, and unexpectedly forge a lifelong connection, one whose complications, joys and tragedies provide a testament to the endurance and power of love.

I heard about this film, probably, about a year ago when it was being filmed.  Now, it's getting excellent reviews and all sorts of awards.  It's being called the best film of the year by American Film Institute, Los Angeles Film Critics Association, Broadcast Film Critics Association and Boston Film Critics Association.

Not even released wide yet, the film is setting records in limited release: From IMDB: Controversial new western Brokeback Mountain has broken 2005 box office records by scoring the highest per-screen average take for any film released. The film, featuring Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger as secret gay lovers, opened in just five cinemas in New York City, Los Angeles and San Francisco and took in an estimated three-day box office total of $544,549 - an average of $109,000 per screen. The film opens all across America on Friday. The film was named the year's Best Movie by the Los Angeles Film Critics Association on Saturday. The film's director, Ang Lee, was also named Best Director.

Wait you mean Michelle Williams the gospel singer?

LimeTwister

Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 08:01:37 am »
No, the girl from Dawson's Creek.

Rick

• View Profile
    • blog
Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 05:51:02 pm »
oh, don't watch that show.

saphire

• View Profile
Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 09:56:40 am »
I loved the film. It was one of the saddest movies i've ever watched. I love the story. It was great. Everyone should watch it even though my girlfriend wasn't that impressed :wink:
The unicorns are riding high
Powerful in coats of white
I turn to look and burn my eyes
I carry on, I carry on

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 10:05:31 am »
I liked the movie but I hated the way Jack Twist  died.