Author Topic: "Fools Like Me"  (Read 57493 times)

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mika+Iwakura1
    • View Profile
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2007, 09:26:53 am »
When it comes to Vanessa she's a pianist first and foremost, when she writes her material she writes the music first and and lyrics/melody are an after thought.

I know a lot of people who have an extremely hard time writing music in that manner, and need to write the music to suit their melody and lyrics, not write lyrics and a melody to suit the music.

Vanessa has even said that she never thought of herself as a singer, but that singing her own material is one of the most organic experiences she can bring to herself.

Which is awesome, I wouldn't have it any other way either, but she certainly doesn't have an amazing blow out your ears type of voice. Back in the Be Not Nobody days her voice was all over the place and used to be really really pitchy. It worked for some songs, but she had a hard time controlling it especially on songs like Wanted... like, that "More than you saaaay-ohohoh" she stressed towards the end of the song, hoooly crap.

And don't you guys remember Vanessa talking about having a vocal coach leading up to the recording and release of Harmonium? I forget her vocal coach's name... some girl. lol But she improved a lot with Harmonium! I mean, C'est La Vie has really awesome vocal play within it. I remember people complaining that she lost some of the emotional quality in her singing with Harmonium because she improved on her tonal quality and control. There's a double edged sword when it comes to singing, the more technically precise and perfect you become the more you lose the emotional quality in your voice. Mariah Carey is a fucking amazing singer, but she has no emotional quality in her voice because she belts everything and stresses the way she's singing something instead of why.

But it wouldn't hurt Vanessa to use a little more coaching, I agree, when she extends her range she borders on getting nasally, which is very easy for women to do when they use their head voice. So it's not like it's a problem only she experiences.

Well, what I'm saying is, in regards to someone who doesn't think of themselves as a singer and doesn't have much training in that aspect, I'm still very impressed with Vanessa's voice. Even now, she sounded great during the live performance of Nolita Fairytale.  :)
And it's bad news, baby it's bad news
It's just bad news, bad news, bad news
'Cause you're just damage control
For a walking corpse like me - like you,
'Cause we'll all be portions for foxes
Yeah, we'll all be portions for foxes.

blueglove

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • Email
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2007, 10:14:02 am »
Thankyou Katia, and again sorry NoelleNC
Peace
-S

All I Ask2003

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kyyyyyy
    • View Profile
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2007, 09:42:23 am »
in this clip, when she says "i always knew, somehow always knew," it sounds to me like the chorus in that old song that i think is by a band called the boo radleys "There she goes again," only in a different key. i knew it sounded kind of familiar. anyone else hear the resemblence?
sig & av by natalie, thank you!

blueglove

• View Profile
    • Email
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2007, 09:58:28 am »
Quote from: "All I Ask2003"
in this clip, when she says "i always knew, somehow always knew," it sounds to me like the chorus in that old song that i think is by a band called the boo radleys "There she goes again," only in a different key. i knew it sounded kind of familiar. anyone else hear the resemblence?

yea just the there she goes it does good catch
Peace
-S

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2007, 04:57:06 pm »
I don't think all well-trained singers lose the emotion in their voices! I can see how you could definitely argue that with some artists, but I don't think it's true of all and I wouldn't say it's true of Mariah Carey. In her more poppy, released songs she does sometimes seem to just be "singing", but on some of her ballads, in my opinion there is tons of emotion there. She is just an extremely talented lady, though!

I will admit that some of my favorite V recordings are her live BMI recordings pre-record label or studio album. I still love to listen to those performances of Wanted and Swindler. That is my hands down favorite version of Swindler available. Later, when she made it a studio B side, I cringed. It had no character anymore.

blueglove

• View Profile
    • Email
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2007, 12:01:41 am »
full song is posted in first post
Peace
-S

IfICouldFall

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2007, 04:37:52 am »
Quote from: "blueglove"

yay! the beginning sounds a little bit like Winter as you said, and I like it. Not as much as i like Home, but it's ok! Thanks for posting again.  :D

Rainy night

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2007, 04:54:36 am »
Quote from: "blueglove"

Waaaaaaaaaw I looooooooove this so much!!!! The melody, the way Nessa sings, it's perfect! And I love so much the lyrics... I looooove it!!!  :heart:  

Thanks a lot for the song  :D
Looking at you, holding my breath
For once in my life, I'm scared to death
I'm taking a chance, letting you inside...

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2007, 07:05:16 am »
Wow, I really like this song, and i really like a lot of the new songs, yay.

I like the part : "and the cracks don't count, it's gotta break in front of me, and it's breaking" and the music that goes along with it. It's really intense!

KULPDOGG

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2007, 09:52:57 am »
oh wow, this song totally beats Home for me...
<3
amazing.

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2007, 10:16:44 am »
I think this song will sound realllllly good with orchestration on the album, especially towards the end. I am in love with this song and Home, and I really wish there were a good full length recording of All is Well bc I love that song too!

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2007, 06:06:26 pm »
I like it and I'm sure I will like it much more when I hear the studio version  :D

It's very vocally ambitious... she's doing well but needs to work on it... it will sound wonderful when she's used to it and doesn't have to push so hard  :)

I'm glad that this song is darker... what I really want to hear now though is something a bit faster and darker!  :twisted:  hehe
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

Jophess

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2007, 06:11:03 pm »
Thank you, Steve!

The "it's breaking" part reminds me of Ameriteen. I like this, more so than  Home I think.
Joe

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2007, 08:36:18 am »
Just wanted to say that this song is growing on me more everyday and might end up being one of my favorite songs she's ever done. The lyrics are really good, too. Yes, I think I'm gonna go figure it out on piano :)

Twilight_Angel

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2007, 08:44:08 am »
Quote from: "NoelleNC"
Just wanted to say that this song is growing on me more everyday and might end up being one of my favorite songs she's ever done. The lyrics are really good, too. Yes, I think I'm gonna go figure it out on piano :)

yes...do go and figure it out =D hehe

shes sings it so emotionally..its pretty sad  :(