Author Topic: female singer-song writers!  (Read 6001 times)

aleera84

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • OC bitch
    • View Profile
female singer-song writers!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2005, 08:39:10 pm »
I can help you out with some international ones Holly, like Delta Goodrem and Missy Higgins.
They have a huge impact in Australia at the moment so it might be worth looking into.

Manny

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 04:22:24 pm »
what about Shannon Thomas.. She is good! :)

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2005, 11:52:27 am »
my class is only on the music industry in the US, but thanks for offering help on the international ones!

my teacher told me to focus on 1-3 artists... so i'm thinking I'm going to chose Carly Simon, Ani DeFranco and Alanis Morissette! Just cause those are 3 chicks who have had strong feminist voices, and don't really let the industry get in their way
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

Prophetic

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • MSN Messenger - bewildered_chaos@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - swallowmytruth
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - omgwhatanight
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 03:03:12 pm »
Kate Bush started it in my mind, she was signed when she was 13-14 and was treated as the label's 'baby' for a while... and she has many songs... 400 or something I think. Most of them are on house demo's obviously... which have been released to the public through some fan sites. She also chooses to do as little publicity as possible. Her music is said to be 'ahead of our time' and she has a very expressive 3 octave voice. Her first ALBUM came out in 1978... "The Kick Inside". Wuthering Heights from that album was her first real hit... obviously taken from the novel of the same name. This most recent album, Aerial, is her eigth release which the fans have been waiting for for a very long time... 10 years I believe. She has tackled sensitive and taboo subjects long before it has become fashionable to do so; "Kashka From Baghdad" is a song about a gay male couple; "Breathing" explores the results of nuclear fallout. Her lyrics are highly literate and reference a wide array of subject matter, often relatively obscure, such as Wilhelm Reich in "Cloudbusting", or G. I. Gurdjieff in "Them Heavy People". Bush has been noted as an influence and inspiration by artists as diverse as Kele Okereke, Placebo, Liv Kristine, Jewel, Tori Amos, Björk, Sarah McLachlan, Suede, Paula Cole, Sinéad O'Connor, Pat Benatar, Happy Rhodes, Maxwell (who covered "This Woman's Work"), The Utah Saints, Big Boi of OutKast, The Futureheads (who have covered "Hounds of Love"), Goldfrapp, The Decemberists and others. In fact, in the 1980s and 1990s it became almost standard for individualistic female singer-songwriters to be compared to Bush by the media. (Some info taken from wikipedia.org)

Rare mp3's: http://www.dongrays.com/kate-bush/mp3/
language is an annoying neccesity..

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 09:52:27 pm »
They're more rock though... Aren't they? Singer-songwriters are more soft-rock.

I know this is an old thread, but I HAD to comment. The answer is, or at least, should be, NO!

I am a singer/songwriter, and I would die if anyone called my music "Soft rock". Ew. I'm ROCK. I'm METAL. I'm not easily defined. My point is, if you write your own songs, and sing them, then you are a singer/songwriter, regardless of style or genre.
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON