Author Topic: Anyone has seen the movie Donnie Darko?  (Read 6665 times)

Gently realistic

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Anyone has seen the movie Donnie Darko?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2003, 03:23:03 am »
:) I get you.... There are two meanings to the word time, one being the literal "time", as in 2 o'clock, the other meaning time as "in a different time".... So, no, 1 o'clock today isn't a different reality from 2 o'clock on the same day. I'm not that talented in conveying ideas or thoughts very coherently, unfortunately.  
The problem is, the same with a film like Mulholland Drive, you can think you completely grasped the plot, or the director's intentions, but turning that thinking into words is the hard part.
I do believe there are two realities: The first one is the one we get to see during the major part of the movie, where he meets his girlfriend, floods the school, etc. The second one appears after Donnie travels through the wormhole, and ends up in bed, before the engine will wreck his room. Frank saves his life by getting Donnie out of his house in the first reality, thus creating a second reality where Donnie does live, the makers refer to this as a "tangent universe". It's really not that difficult, me trying to explain is :)
And this makes the movie sound like an intricate sf-movie, while it really is a beautiful story about a teenage boy that finds the world around him hard to understand.

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Trading Yesterday
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BVulture
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theageof.info
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004, 04:43:22 pm »
I never saw the original, but last night I saw the Director's Cut at the theater.
I really enjoyed it!
It was great watching Donnie's decent into madness. Frank is f-ing wicked.

Donnie: You are such a fuckass.
Elizabeth: Did you just call me a fuckass? You can go suck a fuck.
Donnie: Oh, please, tell me Elizabeth, how exactly does one suck a fuck?

best.line.evar!

The friend I went with loved the original and said the original was about divine intervention, whereas the dir-cut made it more about the science because they concentraited on Sparrow's book.

The casting director had to be the same as Independance Day. The First Lady played Donnie's mom, and Miguel played Frank.

Scotty

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2004, 04:47:25 pm »
Quote from: "blackvulture"
how exactly does one suck a fuck?

very British

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Trading Yesterday
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2004, 01:57:48 pm »
Donnie Darko :!:
20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has announced Donnie Darko: Director's Cut for release on February 15th, 2005. The two-disc set will feature a new 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer with Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 Surround tracks. Extras will include an audio commentary with writer/director Richard Kelly and Kevin Smith, "They Made Me Do It Too" documentary on the cult of Donnie Darko, "#1 Fan: A Darkomentary" documentary, a production diary with optional commentary by Director of Photography Steven Poster, storyboard-to-screen featurette and a trailer for the director's cut. Retail will be $26.98.

keith

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - keithrj997
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2004, 08:44:53 am »
This shit SUCKED.

I don't understand why people like such a stupid movie (and yes, I understood it)

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2004, 10:59:26 am »
20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has announced Donnie Darko: Director's Cut for release on February 15th, 2005. The two-disc set will feature a new 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer with Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 Surround tracks. Extras will include an audio commentary with writer/director Richard Kelly and Kevin Smith, "They Made Me Do It Too" documentary on the cult of Donnie Darko, "#1 Fan: A Darkomentary" documentary, a production diary with optional commentary by Director of Photography Steven Poster, storyboard-to-screen featurette and a trailer for the director's cut. Retail will be $26.98.

Ugh.

As though the first version wasn't terrible enough.

@ Keith - Of course you got it.  It's the people who LIKE the movie that didn't get it.  The people who got the movie realized how stupid it is.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

reese052

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
Still haven't seen the director's cut
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2004, 08:00:34 am »
I still want to see the director's cut, but I have seen the original.  I love this movie!  I've always liked movies that have an indie feel to it and the subject matter is definitely right up my alley.

Scotty

• MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2004, 10:02:02 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"

Ugh.

As though the first version wasn't terrible enough.

@ Keith - Of course you got it.  It's the people who LIKE the movie that didn't get it.  The people who got the movie realized how stupid it is.

I got it and I enjoyed it  :D

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Trading Yesterday
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2005, 11:37:44 pm »
I borrowed the original version from my friend. This was my first time seeing the original, I dont think the differences in the directors cut make THAT much of a difference. I'm still def gonna pick up the Dir Cut on DVD next month.

Zloska_of_yy

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • MSN Messenger - ernstkuiper@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - yesteryearzloska
    • View Profile
the website
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2005, 09:24:54 am »
for all you people who seriously don't get the movie go to the movie's website. it's great and very interesting, maybe it'll answer some of your questions. on the other hand maybe you'll find more new questions than actual answers. anyway visit the website.
as for me, I like the movie(not the best ever) and I think I get it although some details are still a bit vague. but I've seen it only once so maybe if I see it again I'll get it better.
"If it all went away, nothing left to say, oh would you fight it or would you lay down."