Author Topic: Grades and College?  (Read 2660 times)

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
Grades and College?
« on: June 09, 2008, 05:02:43 pm »
So I am currently a freshamn in high school, its the last week, and i am kinda stressed about finals and stuff, and i have a couple questions for those of you who are in, graduated, or work at colleges.

1. My grades are pretty good, except for geometry which might result in summer school, but I have a B in English Honors, A in Biology, A in World Geography, A in PE, C- in Geometry* and a B in Spanish.

*=The class that might result in summer school, and might just be a c on my grade.

My question is will the colleges most likely frown harshly upon my grades and really put me off their list for acceptance because of my C and the rest of my grades?

2. Does it look better if you take like 3 honors classes [English 2 Honors, Chemistry Honors, and History Honors] and not necesarilly get an A in them, but challenging yourself rather than taking the regular classes?

Thanks for all your help everyone, and the college that i am dreaming of going to is New York University.

Shanti Shanti
Shelby

LimeTwister

Grades and College?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 05:19:12 pm »
You're just a freshman?  I wouldn't worry about a C in geometry.  I had a C in Honors Geometry my freshman year of high school (my only C in high school, actually).  Keep up with the honors classes (yes, it looks better, even if you make Bs)...Colleges also like extracurricular.

You're on the right track.  And take AP classes.

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Grades and College?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 05:49:45 pm »
Ha I finished Honors Geometry with a C. Man I hated that class. Algebra is SOOOO much better. Anyways, its only your freshman year. I am in my Junior year of high school and I would say just take challenging classes and do stuff that you like to do. AP Classes look great on college apps! But I would not stress about college just yet.

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
Grades and College?
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 06:52:25 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about the C, just try and keep up with your grades. Know what the minimum GPA for the college you want to get into is and shoot to surpass that by at least .25-.5 GPA. You never know what that'll be in 3 years when you graduate, so just keep it in mind when you're taking your classes early.

Most colleges have placement tests anyway they'll use to figure out if you need to take 090 ("catch up") courses in something before you can get into the 100 levels.

A nice thing about honors classes other than them just looking good on your transcripts is if you do well and pass specific AP examinations (you do have to pay it take it, though) you can gain a few college credits for passing the AP classes.
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
Grades and College?
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 07:00:57 pm »
chemistry honors gives me one extra credit.

i am heavily involved in drama at school and the play was gonna count for 5 credits, but the district took that back and decided not to let the idea pass, the teacher is gonna try to get it to pass this year so by my junior year i can possibly earn 10 more credits because of the plays.

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Re: Grades and College?
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 11:06:47 am »
Quote from: "iluvvanessa"
So I am currently a freshamn in high school, its the last week, and i am kinda stressed about finals and stuff, and i have a couple questions for those of you who are in, graduated, or work at colleges.

1. My grades are pretty good, except for geometry which might result in summer school, but I have a B in English Honors, A in Biology, A in World Geography, A in PE, C- in Geometry* and a B in Spanish.

*=The class that might result in summer school, and might just be a c on my grade.

My question is will the colleges most likely frown harshly upon my grades and really put me off their list for acceptance because of my C and the rest of my grades?

2. Does it look better if you take like 3 honors classes [English 2 Honors, Chemistry Honors, and History Honors] and not necesarilly get an A in them, but challenging yourself rather than taking the regular classes?

Thanks for all your help everyone, and the college that i am dreaming of going to is New York University.

Shanti Shanti
Shelby

Im not in college, but im going to be a freshman next year. Colleges arent going to care too much on ONE C. Most colleges even Ivy Legue like well rounded people. Who haven't failed that are in many extercuricular activitys clubs, sports, ect. Your only a freshman dont worry.

SadAsBlue

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Grades and College?
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 06:18:28 pm »
My guess is admissions will base your acceptance on your GPA and course grades from you upperclassmen years of High School and of course ACT/SAT scores
ENS