Author Topic: Religious Debate o.O  (Read 14671 times)

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Religious Debate o.O
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2003, 12:20:37 pm »
If we assume God is the creator of all things, and God chooses not to have weaknesses then we can assume those weaknesses do not exist.

If we assume that God is omnipotent, and to be omnipotent is not to create a rock he cannot lift, or a burrito hot enough he can not eat, then we can also assume he has done neither.

But he is not bound by not being able to create such things, since he could, being omnipotent.

Since God is all knowing, he probably knows this, and simply chooses not to, and therefore remains Omnipotent.  Just because God knows this, does not mean it exists, since he has not created them.

tylor

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Religious Debate o.O
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2003, 01:15:55 pm »
Quote from: "tylor2000"
If we assume God is the creator of all things, and God chooses not to have weaknesses then we can assume those weaknesses do not exist.

If we assume that God is omnipotent, and to be omnipotent is not to create a rock he cannot lift, or a burrito hot enough he can not eat, then we can also assume he has done neither.

But he is not bound by not being able to create such things, since he could, being omnipotent.

Since God is all knowing, he probably knows this, and simply chooses not to, and therefore remains Omnipotent.  Just because God knows this, does not mean it exists, since he has not created them.

tylor

Sounds like the Kevin Smith theory of religion.  If God does something to prove himself wrong, then God ceases to be God and all of the universe collapses in on itself.

Basically, you eliminate the logical impossibilities by saying that God wouldn't CHOOSE to do something that would demonstrate his own weakness.

But that's not the question.  The question is, COULD HE.  And if the answer is YES (as you seem to suggest) then God is not the Western God.

You are talking yourself in a circle Tylor.  While I understand your theory, it doesn't jive with the western philosophy and therefore isn't really applicable to the way the conversation started.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

tylor2000

• View Profile
Religious Debate o.O
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2003, 01:30:28 pm »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
Quote from: "tylor2000"

tylor

Sounds like the Kevin Smith theory of religion.  If God does something to prove himself wrong, then God ceases to be God and all of the universe collapses in on itself.

Basically, you eliminate the logical impossibilities by saying that God wouldn't CHOOSE to do something that would demonstrate his own weakness.

But that's not the question.  The question is, COULD HE.  And if the answer is YES (as you seem to suggest) then God is not the Western God.

You are talking yourself in a circle Tylor.  While I understand your theory, it doesn't jive with the western philosophy and therefore isn't really applicable to the way the conversation started.

point taken.

tylor

xxjenniferxx

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/xsorealx/Jesus.html
Religious Debate o.O
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2003, 01:34:14 pm »
all this debating stuff is wrong....its not good...and please think before you say something...

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
Religious Debate o.O
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2003, 01:50:55 pm »
Quote from: "xxjenniferxx"
all this debating stuff is wrong....its not good...and please think before you say something...

May i ask why you think that? "A life unexamined is not a life worth living"

or sth like that...lol. What would you rather do? Not question ourselves? Not question others?
"I'm all about the wordplay."

tylor2000

• View Profile
Religious Debate o.O
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2003, 02:05:21 pm »

Think about it this way jen:

I'm an atheist and don't believe in God.  I had to crack open the bible to search for an example of a scriptal proof(s) that refutes one of his arguments(and still searching so I can refute Grakthis, haha.)

So it can go both ways, good or bad, in your obvious point of view of good or bad.

tylor

xxjenniferxx

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/xsorealx/Jesus.html
Religious Debate o.O
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2003, 02:05:57 pm »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"

May i ask why you think that? "A life unexamined is not a life worth living"

or sth like that...lol. What would you rather do? Not question ourselves? Not question others?

i rather not see this lead to arguements.....lol

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Religious Debate o.O
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2003, 02:10:43 pm »
i rather not see this lead to arguements.....lol

Well. There's a simple solution then.  Don't post opinions that people might want to argue about.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew